What makes a watch wear comfortably?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wbird
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: What makes a watch wear comfortably?

What makes a watch wear comfortably?

After seeing this discussed many time in many threads with folks saying this or that bracelet is the most comfortable bracelet or strap they own and this one is horrible I have come to basically four conclusions and thoughts. Looking forward to your thoughts.

- First if feels great on me it may not be good for you.

- Second if the bracelet has a micro adjustment more people should be happy with the fit, but still not everybody.

- Third on a bracelet I think the more elements seen in say a five piece or jubilee is more comfortable than a three piece regardless of the quality of the construction.

- Fourth the size and shape of your wrist is the most important factor in determining if you will get a comfortable fit for most straps and bracelets.

I find that on my roughly 7 1/2"ish flat wrist I can wear almost any bracelet with only the slightest of adjustment usually a couple of links removed and don't have to bother with the micro adjustment most of the time. I tend to wear mine slightly snug and just below my wrist bone. Never have problems with lugs even on a bigger watch like a Bulova or Breitling or smaller watches like a Rolex and Grand Seiko. The point is all those bracelets feel nice to me. Because they all can be made to fit well. A 5 piece or jubilee feels probably the most comfortable because it will have more flex and contour better to my wrist.

With straps it seems that on almost of all of them there happens to be a hole (and since I tend to prefer silicon and padded leather) they can be fastened tight enough to be snug yet allow for a little expansion as my wrist expands and contracts.

The thing is because of all this I'm probably the worst person to ask for what is the least comfortable watch bracelet combination they all feel good to me. Same with straps. I just happened to hit the watch wrist size genetic lottery.

But I can see how someone with bigger or smaller wrists who wear their watch closer or on the bone like I've seen in some pics, encountering issues because the hole on the strap is just not right. With a bracelet not finding a micro adjustment and link combination to get a good comfortable fit.

Bottom line I believe if someone says its the most comfortable watch or bracelet they own on a post, you should ask what size their wrist is. Particularly if you have a smaller wrist and they do also than it will probably be applicable to you. Lugs and watch size will factor in more for a smaller wrists.
    firas80 likes this.

Re: What makes a watch wear comfortably?

Comfort can also be defined in different ways beyond how the watch sits on the wrist. I live and work in hot and humid environments, meaning I really do have to take that into account. I have watch and strap combos that are super comfortable in temperate conditions, but quickly become far less comfortable when you ramp the heat up. Both the strap itself and the tightness are important.

A mesh has quickly emerged as a good favourite of mine when I know I'll be exposed to humidity, and I loosen it a notch on the micro adjuster so the watch moves around a little more than usual and helps air circulation. Aside from a good mesh, I am not a fan of bracelets in general because of the aesthetics, but I do accept a good one can be comfortable. I'd certainly recommend anyone try a mesh though. They sit perfectly on any wrist and tend to weigh much less than something with solid links.

If I take the humidity thing out of the equation though, I have to say that one of my most comfortable watches is a cheesy two-tone early 90s Omega DeVille Quartz that my Dad passed down to me a few months ago. It's a funny little thing, but I wear it at home as it's so damn comfortable. The key to this is two things: lightness and the crappy bracelet. Honestly, it's so light you can barely feel it on the wrist, and the poor quality of that wafer-thin 90s bracelet means it has a whole lot of flex.

Oyster bracelet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My most comfortable watches are on good fitting silicone strap that holds it nicely in place but is soft enough to have some stretch or 'give' to it.

Not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing but definitely most comfortable.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

accidental double post. whoops

I agree a silicon strap is extremely comfortable to me. Strangely enough my wife will say it's just okay. With her smaller wrists when she tries one of my larger watches she has to go to the last hole and it's just a little tight, the second from the last it's a little loose. All comes down to her wrist size and shape.

A mesh band with a sliding adjustment should result in a perfect fit, but I find when my wrist expands it probably has the least give of any strap, and though very comfortable most of the time, it requires an occasional tweak in size.

I was more interested in comments from folks like "my GS is the most comfortable bracelet I own" well to me, looks and quality aside, my Invicta feels the same on the comfort scale. Both fit and feel fine.

For me its a tapered bracelet or strap. I have plenty of parallel ones but I prefer them too have some taper.
    bigvatch likes this.

I find it's a combo of 3 main factors

1) Weight .....no matter how well designed a watch is in terms of shape and size , fit, it can be too heavy for obvious reasons, huge and steel.
    2) shape and design..........some watches simply have superior designs of bracelet and case shape designs that are 'usually' more comfortable.
    3) quality and materials.....this mainly applies to bracelets and straps, worse the craftsmanship and worse the materials, tendency to be less comfortable. Like links that get kinked, materials that are not good for the skin, maybe grabs, itchy etc.

Thread Information