What a mechanical watch guy does when his friends brag about thier smartwatch...
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What a mechanical watch guy does when his friends brag about thier smartwatch...

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What a mechanical watch guy does when his friends brag about thier smartwatch...

Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.
    ― Terry Pratchett, The Truth

We all know inevitably a friend or acquaintance of ours will get a smart watch, quite likely an Apple Watch (AW). If they know you are into watches, they'll doubtlessly feel compelled to show you all the need tricks it will do. Now I don't know what an AW is supposed to be able to do or not do, but either way, you can still remind them that even as the long term prospects for mechanical watches may be darker 'n the inside of a cow, you have one of the world's original smart watches.

Got your dive watch on? Challenge your friend to a race. Bet him you can set your watch to countdown (or up if that's how your watch works) elapsed minutes faster than he can. You both start from the "front page/screen" of your watch. You or he start the countdown. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...Go! You rotate the arrow on your bezel so it aligns with the minute hand and shout, "Done!" Now you collect your winnings. LOL

There are a bunch of other nifty "fast ones" you can pull on your proud early adopter, AW-wearing friends. I suspect a great number of you have seen them all mentioned before, but in case you forgot or never found a good use for them, you can reload your memories (a bit of pun intended) and devise your own contests to get the better of your friends while you still can.
    -- How to Read a Watch Bezel - Gear Patrol

One of the super nice "mechanical smart watches" is the pulsometer, so since everyone likes eye candy, here's one. It's the Blancpain Villeret Pulsometer Flyback Chronongraph. (Blancpain Villeret Pulsometer Flyback Chronograph Watch Hands-On | aBlogtoWatch)

And though that was is "a steal" as go high-end chronographs sought by doctors, it's still a little bit pricey for most folks, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world, or even just the other folks working in the hospital, can't have the goodness that is a puslometer. In addition to the Longines one you'll find at the link I provided at the start of this post, Kobold, JLC and Swatch offer them. (approx. $3500, $13K and $70 (?), respectively)

Kobold

Have fun and have a good laugh. Then share in your friend's excitement and check out the watch with him.

All the best.

"Play interests me very much," said Hermann, "but I am not in the position to sacrifice the necessary in the hope of winning the superfluous."
    ― Alexander Pushkin
    Last edited by tony20009; April 19th, 2015 at 17:01. Reason: added the last sentence...TY EnderW for reminding me that I forgot to put that in.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Banned

Re: What a mechanical watch guys does when his friends brag about thier smartwatch...

I was gonna say, use this on his smart watch:

tony20009, Ed.YANG, joepac and 5 others like this.

Re: What a mechanical watch guys does when his friends brag about thier smartwatch...

If a friend shows me their Apple iWatch and are excited about it, I'll congratulate them and check out all the cool features. Not sure why I'd need to compete or try to prove anything - smartwatch technology is at least a century more advanced than a mechanical watch.

Similarly, I'd hope that if I share excitement of my new mechanical watch acquisition with friends, they'll congratulate me and check it out, rather than try to prove how smartphones are superior.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be fantastic to share his/her excitement on his/her new Smartwatch. There is no comparison. The only similarity they share is that you wear them on your wrist. You love your mechanical watch and they love their Smartwatch.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Tell him that his smart watch will be obsolete in less than a year, while your mechanical watch, having already endured a 200+ year history, will live forever.

I had a race with my smart watch wearing friend to see who could correctly list the average population density in Tajikistan correct to 2 decimal places.

I lost.

I would show him my phone and point out my phone outperforms the smart watch in every possible way. When they snicker about the smart watch being wearable, I'll simply remind them of this accessory.
    Last edited by inkonx; April 7th, 2015 at 06:48.

well, a popular means of comparing things on internet forums seems to be estimated performance during a zombie apocalypse, and i think it's safe to say that any mechanical watch will have a smart watch beat on that front...

...that's all i need to know.
    U aware?

Omega Seamaster 2531, Oris Aquis, Deep Blue Daynight 65, Omega Date '78, Melbourne Watch Co. Portsea, Tissot V8, Casio Protrek

You might think I'm gumpy...

In fact, a year or so ago, a friend of mine who was not even into wearing watches, started wearing and showing off his new smartwatch. Even talking about getting a gold plated one next. I remarked that after a short while, the software would become obsolete and he would have to get another smartwatch and therefore he shouldn't spend extra on the gold platting. I told him however, that the watches that I'm wearing today should last me a very long time. that they have stood the test of time. No one "won" the argument that day. Fast forward to now, and he has abandoned the smartwatch and is wearing a Bulova automatic. I think some of these smartwatch adopters, who didn't even bother to wear watches before, will eventually move onto traditional watches. Let's be patient with them.
    IG: mrwatchusername

Main Stable: -

Breguet Type XX Transatlantique
    Rolex Datejust
    Rolex Milgauss
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Seamaster Professional
    Omega Constellation Quartz
    Jeanrichard Aquascope Hokusai
    Seiko Diver's Automatic

As much as I love Apple products, and have got too many of them already, I cannot even fathom spending tens of thousands of dollars on a Gold Apple Watch. The only thing worth anything on that Watch in a few years' time will be the actual Gold (or melting down of it). The innards would not be worth anything!
    Swans21 likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information