What is the most scratch-resistant watch/bracelet material?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What is the most scratch-resistant watch/bracelet material?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is the most scratch-resistant watch/bracelet material?

I'm looking at getting a new Tissot Titanium Chronograph, which would be my first "quality" watch (well, coming from someone with a few sub-$150 scraps). I like the flat/matte brushed look. However, I am worried because titanium is said to be softer than stainless steel. A very nice quality watch is just ugly to me once it gains it's share of scratches, and I really want my new watch to stand up to the test of time and last a long while. Appearance is very important to me in that respect, and I want my new baby to be as flawless as possible, even after a few years of frequent use.

What material should I be looking into? Ceramic?

edit: just to be clear, I am looking for these things -
    1.) very scratch resistant material
    2.) material that is not glossy or shiny
    3.) less than $1k price (or better yet, less than $500 if that's even possible...)
    Last edited by hundos; June 23rd, 2013 at 10:54.

Re: What is the most scratch-resistant watch/bracelet material?

Ceramic or tungsten. Both materials tend to be very reflective and I tend to avoid that, however if you do not mind the whole bling factor, then either one is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sk412 View Post
    Ceramic or tungsten. Both materials tend to be very reflective and I tend to avoid that, however if you do not mind the whole bling factor, then either one is fine.
    Ceramic can be brittle though - stories abound of people giving ceramic bracelets an accidental thump against a hard object and having links shatter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sk412 View Post
    Unfortunately I too dislike watches with a glossy reflectiveness... I like my accessory to be humble rather than obnoxious. Are all ceramics and tungstens going to have this shine? And is there any other material that is extremely scratch resistant, yet relatively matte?

Ceramic is an excellent material for being nearly impervious to scratches, but I am not into a very shiny, glossy surface finish, or the light weight, as I like a watch with a good weight to it.

The Tegiment technology by Sinn is OUTSTANDING! They offer tegimenting on both the silver, raw submarine steel, as well as the PVD matte black coated finishes. I own a Sinn U2 EZM with the tegimented-PVD black coating and it is nothing short of freakish how impervious to scratches it is. Much more so than any other "regular" steel PVD watch I've seen. The watch is about 4 years old, gets frequent use, and literally looks identical to the day I bought it. For a watch with a matte black coating on it, I am absolutely both amazed and impressed. I'd imagine the plain silver finish would be even more indestructible. I cannot say enough good things about Sinn's tegimenting process.

Just as a frame of reference, standard stainless watch cases have a hardness of around 220 Vickers. Sinn's tegimenting process (applied to their more robust submarine steel) ends up creating a surface hardness of approximately 1200 Vickers. Additionally, Sinn's black PVD coating is composed of TiAICN (titanium aluminum carbon nitride), which achieves a surface hardness of around 2000 Vickers! You want a matte black watch that will pretty much NEVER show surface scratches? Get one of the Sinn tegimented watches.
    Last edited by Jrsnow; June 23rd, 2013 at 10:09.
    brandon\ and myke like this.

Sapphire and ceramics. The OP is asking for scratch resistance, not shatter resistance...
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

There's also cobalt chromium (Lum Tec) and Damasko has their own proprietary steel (nice blasted finish) but neither have a bracelet. Omega's new dark side of the moon chronograph is brushed ceramic., also no bracelet AFAIK.
    Brandx_HLZ likes this.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

In my experience, Sinn, tegimented.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

^^Yea, no comparison in my opinion.
    BusyTimmy likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Tegimented (kolsterized) and ice-hardened cases are out seeing your budget, even if buying 2nd hand. Ceramic, Rado at least, is out as well because it is shiny.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information