What is the point of a “complete” calendar watch?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is the point of a “complete” calendar watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the point of a “complete” calendar watch?

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood, but I get the point of an annual calendar. If you keep an annual calendar watch running, you need only adjust the date once per year in February. But I miss the point of a complete calendar. While it looks like an annual calendar (shows day, date and month), my understanding is that you need to adjust the date for every month that’s not 31 days — that is, just like a normal date only watch.

If if my understanding is right, re functionality, then what is the point?? Is it just made for people who forget what month it is....?? Just for cost savings (at VC??)

Here’s a photo of a gorgeous VC complete calendar watch. Clearly VC can make annual calendars and even perpetual calendars if they want to. So why make a complete calendar...??
    Name:  17460464-9641-484F-873B-46A31271DBFF.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  301.3 KB

Re: What is the point of a “complete” calendar watch?

Quote Originally Posted by warsh View Post
    Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood, but I get the point of an annual calendar. If you keep an annual calendar watch running, you need only adjust the date once per year in February. But I miss the point of a complete calendar. While it looks like an annual calendar (shows day, date and month), my understanding is that you need to adjust the date for every month that’s not 31 days — that is, just like a normal date only watch.

If if my understanding is right, re functionality, then what is the point?? Is it just made for people who forget what month it is....?? Just for cost savings (at VC??)

Here’s a photo of a gorgeous VC complete calendar watch. Clearly VC can make annual calendars and even perpetual calendars if they want to. So why make a complete calendar...??
    Name:  17460464-9641-484F-873B-46A31271DBFF.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  301.3 KB
    They certainly can and have made them (a number of watch brands). The question comes down to cost. You can pay for a full perpetual calendar or a full calendar. For me, I love every chance I get to tinker with my watches. I am not like those who prefer to put on the watch and forget it. Then I might as well get an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chronomaestro View Post
    They certainly can and have made them (a number of watch brands). The question comes down to cost. You can pay for a full perpetual calendar or a full calendar. For me, I love every chance I get to tinker with my watches. I am not like those who prefer to put on the watch and forget it. Then I might as well get an Apple Watch.

Interesting. I suspect most users would prefer not to have to adjust the date in shorter months, but perhaps more people see it like you do.

Sounds like I’m understanding the difference between complete, annual and perpetual calendars correctly. Right, WIS??

If so, with the exception of price, annual calendar seems the best choice for me. Perpetual is magnificent engineering, but you’ll never really see the benefit (how long will your watch run without stopping? A year? Three??).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would be a bit cautious with definition as each watch brand can have slightly different definition. It’s best to look at what want to have on the dial. Some ultra high end watches offer more than one will ever need in this life on earth for more than many of us can afford.

The more complicated the movement is, the harder it is to set. I believe IWC has a few complication movement that assuming it never stops, will need adjustment only in 2200. For these watches you can wind them everyday or put them on a winder.

You seem new to this hobby so I recommend to browse through a few watch brand websites. They are great for general knowledge.

Lastly, WIS is a term used on TimeZone. Not sure folks on this forum are aware of that.

Cheers,

Kevin

I would be a bit cautious with definition as each watch brand can have slightly different definition. It’s best to look at what want to have on the dial. Some ultra high end watches offer more than one will ever need in this life on earth for more than many of us can afford.

The more complicated the movement is, the harder it is to set. I believe IWC has a few complication movement that assuming it never stops, will need adjustment only in 2200. For these watches you can wind them everyday or put them on a winder.

You seem new to this hobby so I recommend to browse through a few watch brand websites. They are great for general knowledge.

Lastly, WIS is a term used on TimeZone. Not sure folks on this forum are aware of that.

Cheers,

Kevin

Some people like complications.

^^^^^

Yup.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

There is no point in a complete calendar, other than that they are much more affordable, especially in steel. If financially viable, go for an annual calendar or perpetual.

If it has to be a complete calendar, I would look at Blancpain, with hidden calendar correctors under the lugs.
    warsh likes this.

I have a watch with a date-only perpetual calendar, and another with day/date but not perpetual. Complete calendar would be cool, but I guess that's what I have my G-Shock for...

I agree with the sentiment that it's kind of nice that my watch needs me to correct it every now and then, whether because the time is off or to deal with change of month with the date.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

the point is: because they can, one can build it, one can afford it

Name:  IWC-Portugieser-Ewiger-Kalender-Platin-iw503406.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  142.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information