What is the point of a chronograph?

Thread: What is the point of a chronograph?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

What is the point of a chronograph?

Well I've been looking for a new watch, and I can't decide between a Milus Zetios Chronograph or a Perrelet Chronograph or a Jean Marcel Chronograph.

in my indecision, I've started wondering why I want a chronograph at all

Do I really need an automatic chronograph, or is it just for looks?

I have several stop watches as it is...no one is ever going to want to do the 800metres timing with an automatic chronograph worn on my wrist, rather than a digital read out. Equally, I'm never going to go diving with mine.

What do you use a chronograph for? Do you really need it, or is this just some kind of luxury fad that I'm getting into?

Maybe I should just stick to a classic minimalist watch piece which only tells me the time and has no dementia aids for the day and date

While I'm at it, I'm starting to wonder about how accurate the automatic chronographs are. Some websites indicate that the automatic winding watches from Perrelet can go out as much as 3 seconds a day, which is 21 seconds a week, or 1 1/2 minutes a month.

Thanks for any insights

Banned

Re: What is the point of a chronograph?

Quote Originally Posted by snowfox View Post
    Do I really need an automatic chronograph, or is it just for looks?
    No, you don't and yes, it is.

Do you really need it, or is this just some kind of luxury fad that I'm getting into?
    Bingo!

While I'm at it, I'm starting to wonder about how accurate the automatic chronographs are. Some websites indicate that the automatic winding watches from Perrelet can go out as much as 3 seconds a day, which is 21 seconds a week, or 1 1/2 minutes a month.
    "As much as"???? 3 seconds a day is very good for an automatic watch. Maybe a nice quartz chronograph would be a good choice.

An analog chronograph wristwatch is mostly eye candy. Unlike it's digital brothers, the analog chronograph is notoriously difficult to read accurately at a glance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Arrgh. You're telling me I want what I don't need, yet I really need what has no need.

Okay - so it doesn't have a particularly good function - but does a chronograph add something to the aesthetics of a watch, rather than just complicating its dial?

Take this for example:

and

Which would you choose? Why?

I think I like the metal and brown combination better, but something about the dial seems to lack ... elegance? Is it possible, that the finer font and dial set of the chronograph, offers that kind of refined appearance?

How does this

I see no point to a chronograph, other than its aesthetics.

My new Breitling has no chronograph function. I dont need it, and have never used it. Similarly, I dont plan to submerse myself to a depth of 100 metres anytime soon. These features are more to do with keeping costs up than anything else.

I hear what you guys are both saying ....

but I still feel like I want one! The manufacturers just won't stop making them!

I hear what you guys are both saying ....

but I still feel like I want one! The manufacturers just won't stop making them!
    Then that is all the justification you need!!! Rationalisation only makes your head hurt. Buy what makes you happy...whether you need it or not!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Senignol View Post
    Buy what makes you happy...whether you need it or not!!
    Bingo #2! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the watch without the chrono of the two pictured above.

Quote Originally Posted by Senignol View Post
    Then that is all the justification you need!!! Rationalisation only makes your head hurt. Buy what makes you happy...whether you need it or not!!

errr...but by that reasoning, I might as well go for this one then!

Name:  Perrelet Moonphase.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  65.7 KB

PS - It may be a lifesaver since it will spare me girlfriend probls andtell me when it's that time of the month!

Bingo #2! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the watch without the chrono of the two pictured above.

Thanks for the feedback. I do too. This is the one I had my mind set on, and then suddenly, when you log in to the Home | www.milus.com website and see all the different swing arms of the chronograph watches swinging, it gets so mesmerising that youlosefocus!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information