At what price/point do you start babying your near new watch?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: At what price/point do you start babying your near new watch?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

At what price/point do you start babying your near new watch?

A very subjective question based on the person's financial positions and general usage/principles of a watch, but I've noticed that in my collection I have quite a few daily wearers, these are generally easy to maintain quartz watches to older swiss watches in the sub $3000 mark. I don't really think about selling them, and don't really think about the watch throughout the day.

However, there were a few watches I've owned that came to me in excellent condition (and they generally range $5000+ USD) where I start thinking:
    "Maybe it's a bad idea to swim with it even if it says 200m"
    "This might attract unwanted attention in a bad neighborhood"
    "Might be bad to wear too often if I plan on selling it"

A funny moment I remember was when I was walking with my father, and my Rolex GMT II tapped his Breguet Tradition Seconde Rétrograde, and we both immediately grabbed our wrists as if we were in pain to check for any marks on our watches.

At this point, the cost of the watch is deterring me the enjoyment of it being worn often, and only taken out in specific occasions. I generally convince myself not to buy the these watches because of the lack of wear time and the high costs of service. Curious if others get the same feeling for watches in their collection, and if they also thought about 'that' watch that they start babying more than others?

Re: At what price/point do you start babying your near new watch?

I dont "baby" any of my watches. I wear them, I take care of them. I dont have any safe queens. I'm just an middle class working smuck. But I wear my speedy every day at work. I buy watches I like and want to wear. If I want watches to just try on every few months I just go to my local AD and try on theirs.
    Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

I treat them all the same
    jimiwilli likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a man of equality - they all get abused
    Techniec and SeanoftheDead516 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspect View Post
    I dont "baby" any of my watches. I wear them, I take care of them. I dont have any safe queens. I'm just an middle class working smuck. But I wear my speedy every day at work. I buy watches I like and want to wear. If I want watches to just try on every few months I just go to my local AD and try on theirs.
    I'll second this member as well as what K1W1 and Gunnar said, I have a small collection(4 watches) but I wear every one of them no matter what. Right now my Explorer II is taking all of my wrist time and I am doing everything with it. I sleep with it, hike, dive, play with the kids, dog, cat.... and wife ;).

These are tools not treasures, in my opinion, and so I treat them as such. I do not have enough disposable income to by expensive things that just sit around for me to look at. Everything in my life has a purpose or it's gone. Life is too short to spend it hording things that aren't being used.
    jimiwilli, whineboy and Shikyo like this.

Like the people who have already responded, I wear all of my watches. And I treat them pretty much all the same. That being said, I take pretty good care of all of them, whether it's my $50 Seiko 5, or my El Primero. I don't intentionally get a watch wet unless it is a dive watch or has a screw-down crown. Even in that case, I don't shower or swim in a watch unless there is a very good reason to do so. (Is there?) Other than that, it's all common sense. I take the watch off if I'm going to do something that's likely to bang it up like working on the car, painting, etc. I've got a desk job, so the watches don't get any hazard pay.... I use my sport watches for outdoor activities and the dressier ones for work and light social events. No real mystery.
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100-1ACR, Glycine F-104, Hamilton Khaki Aviation, 1950's Jules Jurgensen 14k Manual Wind, 1940's Longines 14k Fancy Lug Manual Wind, Orient Kamasu, Orient 1970's Automatic "TV Dial," Oris Williams F1 Team, RADO D-Star, Sea Gull Tonneau GMT, Seiko 5 SNKE51, Seiko Recraft SNKP25, Seiko 5 SNZH57, Simplify 2200 Series "The Penguin," 1978 Timex Automatic Chrome, Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 COSC, Vostok Amphibia 420 Bronze Mod.

I guess I "baby" my watches only in the process of deciding what to put on, choosing based on activity and going from there. Once it's on the wrist I don't think about it.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I wear all my watches. About the only concession I'll make is I'll wear a Seiko dive watch for "hazardous duty" like yard work and such. But otherwise, they all get work for their intended purposes. If I started worrying about the watch, then I've paid too much for it.

That said, for some of my vintage watches, I'll take it easier on them. They've had a long life already so I intend to give them an enjoyable retirement on my wrist.
    mike70sk likes this.

"Watches are made to be worn" is an over-simplified way of putting it but it's true. I find I loose enjoyment by worrying about keeping a watch in pristine condition. It is helpful if you have a collection to have a "beater" watch when doing home improvement projects or things along those lines, but generally speaking I find it endearing when a watch shows a little wear when its more than a couple years old.

I’ve only owned and worn watches $5000 and below and I do not baby them at all. I buy my watches to wear and I’m just as hard in the gym with a Seiko Sumo on my wrist than I was on foot patrol in Kandahar province Afghanistan wearing my seamaster planetocean.
    joelbny and SeanoftheDead516 like this.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information