At what price range is MAXIMUM / OPTIMUM "watchiness" found? NOT same as "bang for buck"
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: At what price range is MAXIMUM / OPTIMUM "watchiness" found? NOT same as "bang for buck"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

At what price range is MAXIMUM / OPTIMUM "watchiness" found? NOT same as "bang for buck"

I say it again: NOT about bang for buck, and NOT about brands.

I'm talking about the price range between X and Y where a watch IS really, truly a watch, an excellent piece of engineering and aesthetic sensibility, as opposed to something extraneous, like a status symbol, "good bargain" etc.

So, maximum /optimum "watchiness," with all the qualities - fit n finish, accuracy, styling, dependability, ruggedness, etc - that a great watch needs and has, but without the extras (cache, chick magneticity, investment/resale value, "baggage," etc) that turn it into something else.

See, something like your Bell & Ross or would be a good example of something that EXCEEDS that horological "point of titration," so to speak, and has become something else.

Some German watches - some models from Damasko, Tutima - that meet this criterion (for me) do so at around $2,000 and under.
    Rusty427 likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: At what price range is MAXIMUM / OPTIMUM "watchiness" found? NOT same as "bang for buck"

I was just about to say, €1500 or thereabouts, as it gets you the maximum practical engineering (damasko, some sinn), it's enough to get the cream of the crop from microbrands (tempest carbon, for example) if that's your thing, it gets you full play on legit historical heritage watches (stowa fliegers as an example), and it lets you get into good (i.e. better than tissot/hamilton) swiss brands if you like that aspect, and it's enough to get the wild designs too (sevenfridays, dietrichs).

Okay, I kept mentioning brands, but just as examples: point is, at around €1500, you have a full range of options when it comes to watches, and you're not "priced out" of anything besides status/bling/brandname.

Below that limit, you start simply not being to able to get features you may need in a watch. Above that limit, and (brand names aside) you can find cheaper alternatives with (nearly) the same stuff in 'em.

HOWEVER. Here's an alternate option:

For most people - as in, normal people - the idea of a "good watch" is, simply, "Rolex". Ergo, optimum price range is the one where you can buy a new popular-model Rolex.
    Last edited by X2-Elijah; September 27th, 2015 at 13:57.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Re: At what price range is MAXIMUM / OPTIMUM "watchiness" found? NOT same as "bang for buck"

I think that's almost an impossible question, as it depends upon your criteria, Damasko are amazing watches, I own one and think it's amazing value with amazing tech but to some people it's not in house so would fail your criteria.

If if that's your criteria you may be looking at something like Nomos who I think would be my answer, others will chime in and say an Orient or Seiko 5 which also technically are in house and meet your criteria when comparing it to a Quartz fossil watch etc.

Interestingly as I pointed out in another thread Rolex meet all of your criteria and while people always state them as being expensive, however an Oyster Perpetual for £3600 meet all your criteria and not many other brands can for that price if you actually delve into it.
    Last edited by jonobailey; September 27th, 2015 at 14:09.
    Nomos Orion Weiss
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual- Rhodium
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Damasko DC66
    Damasko DSub1
    Damasko DS30
    Stowa Partitio Black

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Over the years the Price of "watchiness" (Great word by the way) that I have experienced has varied so much!!

I have paid £400 for a Steinhart and thought wow how can they make this for so little money!!

But then I have paid £1500 for a Ball watch and thought, wow how can they charge this much for such poor quality.

So great question but a very difficult answer.

After 30 years of collecting I still can't get over the quality of the Orange monster on a bracelet!! And I paid £150 for mine so my answer has got to be £150.

Dont know how much that is in your funny money ;))
    Chronopolis likes this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by jonobailey View Post
    I think that's almost an impossible question, as it depends upon your criteria, Damasko are amazing watches, I own one and think it's amazing value with amazing tech but to some people it's not in house so would fail your criteria.

If if that's your criteria you may be looking at something like Nomos who I think would be my answer, others will chime in and say an Orient or Seiko 5 which also technically are in house and meet your criteria when comparing it to a Quartz fossil watch etc.

Interestingly as I pointed out in another thread Rolex meet all of your criteria and while people always state them as being expensive, however an Oyster Perpetual for £3600 meet all your criteria and not many other brands can for that price if you actually delve into it.
    BTW, I never said, nor do I think, that in-house is an important aspect of watchiness.
    I am not for or against it, nor am I for or against using standard, widely available "workhorse" movements, if they are upgraded.

I am however not a fan (but nor a critic) of those micros that do nothing but casing. Not a lot of love or creativity there, is all.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

MSRP for the mass of "watchiness" would indeed be about $2000. But you can hunt around and find good watchiness at half that (e.g. Seiko Brightz/Presage, Glycine, Oris, Hamilton).
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

I find optimum price range for watchiness for me is ~Cdn$500 (not MSRP, after discount). Without talking brand (everyone knows what brand gets you bang-for-buck) and technology (everyone knows what gets you best accuracy and reliability without the maintenance hassles), this price range gives better clasp/bracelet/case, sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating in the inside (man, the dial looks so clear that way!), and beautiful dial that fascinates to no end. I've spent more before for a Swiss watch for my partner, ~$1000 range. Sure, the movement looks great (very clean and shiny, no scratches on the plates), and the dial looks better in some ways (no dust or less imperfections under the loupe), but it doesn't necessarily have the endlessly fascinating dial that you appreciate more the more you look at it in terms of multiple layers and changing colors and textures' reflections under different lighting and angles. I also enjoy charging the watch with my arm movements and I like seeing the power reserve, like I'm feeding a living thing. With the right brand and right selection of particular model, ~$500 gets me plenty of watchiness without getting into branding/image/status/prestige.
    Last edited by rdoder; September 27th, 2015 at 15:24.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Is this thread about you trying to get people to use your cutesy word "watchiness" ?

I have a Tisell Bauhaus watch (discussed at length in other threads) which has all the attributes of a great watch and can be had for $170. But there are also dozens of brands that produce great watches that tick all the boxes and are priced at all levels from there. For me there are SO MANY great watches for under, say, $2000 that I'm not sure I'll ever feel the need to go above that price point. (Examples- Orient Star, Chris Ward, Squale, Sinn, lots of Seikos, lots of microbrands- Aevig, Lew and Huey, etc.)

I'd say $10,000-$15,000. This range gets you great finish, some excellent complications (incl a perpetual calendar), gorgeous decorations, amazing finishing - pretty much the works. GO, Blancpain, Breguet Marine, JLCs, AP, VC all have excellent models in this price range.

The $1000-2000 range is perhaps the sweet spot for best bang for the buck, but definitely not for max watchiness.
    Chronopolis and WatchFrog like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    I was just about to say, €1500 or thereabouts,
    Exactly. You can get excellent watches by Eterna and Ball (among others) for about that amount (after discount at the AD). Two examples from my collection.
    Name:  eterma sharkskin.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  212.6 KBName:  ball red label gmt 2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  482.4 KB
    Last edited by Okapi001; September 27th, 2015 at 16:27.
    Donny Dont likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information