What is proper etiquette when buying a used Rolex?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is proper etiquette when buying a used Rolex?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is proper etiquette when buying a used Rolex?

I am on the market for a used Rolex but wanted to know what is the proper etiquette when you are buying a used one from a forum member?
    is asking for the history, how the got it, how long they owned it , service records, paperwork, serial number not allowed?
    I don't want to be rude and ask to many questions but I want to be safe and don't want to end up buying a stolen or replica watch.

I appreciate any advise friends.

Cheers!

Re: What is proper etiquette when buying a used Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by vatoloco_hd View Post
    I am on the market for a used Rolex but wanted to know what is the proper etiquette when you are buying a used one from a forum member?
    is asking for the history, how the got it, how long they owned it , service records, paperwork, serial number not allowed?
    I don't want to be rude and ask to many questions but I want to be safe and don't want to end up buying a stolen or replica watch.

I appreciate any advise friends.

Cheers!
    I don't think there's anything wrong with asking as many questions as you need to ask before you commit to a purchase on the forum.

This is the 10000th time I say this, but you have to buy the seller before you buy the watch. Willingness and openness to clarify any possible questions play a great part into this process.

Quote Originally Posted by vatoloco_hd View Post
    is asking for the history, how the got it, how long they owned it , service records, paperwork, serial number not allowed
    With the possible (?) exception of a complete serial number, your questions are not only allowed, they're pertinent and useful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Possibly a naive question, but what would be wrong with asking for a full serial#?

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with asking as many questions as you need to ask before you commit to a purchase on the forum.

This is the 10000th time I say this, but you have to buy the seller before you buy the watch. Willingness and openness to clarify any possible questions play a great part into this process.
    Well said.
    Being partly a part of a sales team. It is also best if the seller is frank and open about the product that he is trying to sell. I prefer sellers who talk about the imperfections of their products before they talk of the benifits/advantages. Gives me more confidence in their earnestness..........A seller who is more open and takes all questions in his stride will be more likely to make a deal than one who is not.......
    Unless
    of course you have a product which nobody has and people are willing to pay your price. That then is monopoly.
    vatoloco_hd likes this.
    follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/rohanbhogal/

Rolex
    I Omega I Breitling I Glycine I B&M ISeiko

Quote Originally Posted by CMTFR View Post
    With the possible (?) exception of a complete serial number, your questions are not only allowed, they're pertinent and useful.
    So don't ask for the serial number? how do you know if the watch is either stolen or authentic?

Sorry, for this noob question. What does happen if someone knows your watch serial number ??

Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Possibly a naive question, but what would be wrong with asking for a full serial#?
    This has been discussed before and sometimes not clarified because you may get different opinions on this matter. You don't want to facilitate the life for those less honest to use a real reference number and complete serial number for unacceptable (read: fake) purposes. Others may elucidate you better or have other reasonable explanations. But I think you got the picture...

Edit: Oh, and that's why I added a ? next to possible, because I know there are different - but reasonable - opinions on this matter.
    Last edited by CMTFR; January 7th, 2014 at 20:19.
    beeman101 likes this.

This has been discussed before and sometimes not clarified because you may get different opinions on this matter. You don't want to facilitate the life for those less honest to use a real reference number and complete serial number for unacceptable (read: fake) purposes. Others may elucidate you better or have other reasonable explanations. But I think you got the picture...

Edit: Oh, and that's why I added a ? next to possible, because I know there are different - but reasonable - opinions on this matter.
    I can see how both sides of the story would go. But your reasoning makes more sense to me imo...

Rolex

I think it's what's been said above and also to prevent someone from being an idiot and reporting your watch as being stolen when it wasn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information