What seperates the more expensive watches from the lower range?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What seperates the more expensive watches from the lower range?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What seperates the more expensive watches from the lower range?

Hello, newer member of WUS here.

Been loving my time reading the boards, which led me to my first purchase of a Sinn 856 UTC on strap. One thing that made this watch stand out for me was the added technologies (such as tegimented casing, copper sulphate capsule, etc), which I saw as easily identifiable value added (since it helps make the watch tougher, more resilient). Now I am wondering what makes more expensive brands like Rolex, IWC or Omega (not the highest, but sort of that next tier of pricing) stand out above a watch like my 856? I'm aware that they can utilize in-house movements, and can be more accurate... but are those handful of extra seconds in accuracy what drives the extra multiples in price (assuming I am looking at models that are stainless steel, instead of precious metal).

So I guess the basic question is... what is the value driver behind paying $5k plus for a watch, or is it mainly driven by buying brand?

Appreciate the responses,

Jared
    Last edited by Bitters; February 9th, 2012 at 15:19.

Re: What seperates the more expensive watches from the lower range?

Having a marketing team is expensive. They like to spend money, and expect to be fed. Plus 'brand building' excersises are very difficult to apply strict roi kpis too. What was the roi you say? Well we only lost a small massive fortune this time... whats that u say, call to action, no thank you, that for crass retailers to worry about.
    Current:
    Muhle Glashutte Metior, Omega 30t2, Rotary Aquaplunge, Pam 176, Le Forban Securite Mer, Royal Extra chrono, Zenith A782, Birch and Gaydon trenchie with Zenith swan neck regulator, UG Polarouter, Hema diver, Glycine Airman, Combat diver, HOP diver, Pimax, G-Shock, Casio vintage ana-digi, 70’s Aquadive, Alpiner X, Withings Steel HR

price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Easy. These five letters: ROLEX or these three: IWC. Apart from that nothing else separates them from the others.
    SgtClaymore likes this.

Yikes. This thread has flame-war all over it. Let's really try to keep this civil.
    Several things factor into making a certain brand expensive. Labor and materials are part of it in some cases, especially the high-end range of the spectrum where a lot of hand-finishing is involved or where very difficult to manufacture components like tourbillons are used. But more than anything it comes down to this: The market allows it.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Banned

You alkways pay for a name. Sinn is a virtually unknown manufacturer. They have a very low overhead compared to the brands you mentioned.
    Also, Sinn use a movement that is very much produced in huge numbers, so they save some money there.

But, as you point out, Sinn adds some very usefu ( and expense adding) technology.

I am not an accountant, but it would not surprise me that the profit for each watch is much, much lower for Sinn.

I've always wondered how much R&D cost goes into it. Much like how some cancer drugs cost like $400,000 per dose...because they spent so much developing it versus a limited market (assuming it's a rare form of cancer). I assume it's the same way with the development of watch movements - otherwise what would be the incentive for a watch maker to come up with an in-house movement when they could just take one from ETA or Selitta?
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Banned

Rolex does not seek to do much R&D. The last major change was for the DSSD. To increase the case size is simple.

Sinn have more R&D than a lot of manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by LosTresGatos View Post
    I've always wondered how much R&D cost goes into it. Much like how some cancer drugs cost like $400,000 per dose...because they spent so much developing it versus a limited market (assuming it's a rare form of cancer). I assume it's the same way with the development of watch movements - otherwise what would be the incentive for a watch maker to come up with an in-house movement when they could just take one from ETA or Selitta?
    Though there are variations, mechanical watch movements are largely the same (as far as how they work). I don't think R&D costs have anything substantial to do with price differences across the market. The biggest development (in purely mechanical movements) in the last several decades is probably Daniels' Co-Axial escapement and that resulted in a watch priced similiarly to other mid-tier luxury offerings.
    Last edited by Caraptor; February 9th, 2012 at 15:53.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

I have a Omega PO and it's the most I've spend on a watch and heads and tails above everything else I've ever owned. With the higher priced watches you have to see them in person and hold them in your hand to get a real comparison. Then you can decide if it's worth the extra coin. I don't think you're paying for accuracy as even a base ETA 2824 can be regulated to +1 sec a day or better if you have the skills. You're paying for heirloom quality and fit & finish that I don't think can be offered at some of the lower price points.
    acello27 and Rachdanon like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information