What should I get for my first watch? Please recommend.

Thread: What should I get for my first watch? Please recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What should I get for my first watch? Please recommend.

Dear all,

I'm a newbie in the watch world, am currently looking for a recognizable swiss made watch (yea I'm looking forward to owing a swiss made ) to step into a 2nd stage of life .
    Now the problem is that I have not much idea on what brands are off better quality, value for money, long lasting value, etc... I'm actually thinking about Maurice-Lacroix Pontos Grand Guichet GMT, but i'm not sure about its reputation in the watch industry, its quality, and the brand's background...
    I'm also open for Omega speed master chronograoph date, baume&mercier classima XL Executive, classima XL chronograph.. anyone has any good recommendations on watch i can look at please advice , and yea I'm looking at automatic/hand winding watches, and my budget is below USD2000.. so not anything above that please, or I would definitely feel bad while looking at a fine piece yet not able to own it .
    Thanks all.

Re: What should I get for my first watch? Please recommend.

Welcome! Glad to have another member joining!

Looks like you've got some good ideas. Lots of folks around here (and elsewhere) have gotten the Omega SMP or Speedy as there first automatic. A classic Swiss timepiece. You should be able to find near mint versions of these watches on the sales forums here and various other watch forums.

With that price range you may even be able to afford a version of a Rolex, albeit not in near mint but still excellent condition.

Others to consider: Ball Watch makes some beautiful watches and are really up and coming even though they've been around since 1891.

Breitling makes fascinating watches and in your price range if you buy used again. You may actually even be able to find a new one if you bump up your range a tad.

Same goes for IWC but that may push your limits.

You may also consider Tag Heuer? A good Swiss company with quite a bit of history. They spend a lot on advertising so you've undoubtedly seen them in ads, etc. I would suggest a Monaco for your price range. Gorgeous watch and lots of history.

In any case, best wishes and happy hunting!
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

I am not at all objective but if I had it to do over and I have gone thru more than 50 watches, I would go vintage from the start.
    2DARK Hardwood Watch Boxes are the real deal

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be hard to go wrong with an Omega Seamaster. A lovely watch, very comfortable and extremely accurate.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

stuffler,mike

Excellent choice already. Go with the watch you like most. Take your time to try them out on your wrist.

Hi -

I did that from the start, pretty much. While I started off with a new Russian Poljot Aviator, the next one was a vintage, and I've only got 6 new watches amongst my 50 or so.

The great thing about vintage is that you are, in effect, paying wholesale instead of (even reduced) retail. You do have to factor in significantly higher maintenance costs that you don't even consider when looking at a new watch, and you do need to do your homework.

But consider that you can get a classic Omega dress watch - I get the impression that Kytho80 is really looking at a good dress watch - from the 1950s, with sub second dial, have it worked on at Omega for a complete restoration, and still be ahead of the game in terms of cash outlay in regards to the quality of the time piece and the accuracy of the watch.

I'd recommend that Kytho80 take his time and figure out what he wants first. In the corporate world, more often than you'd like to believe, the kind of watch one wears will be interpreted to say something about the individual and how he understands himself: a junior executive with a Rolex screams "ambitious" while a senior executive wearing a cheap LCD says "I don't give a .... about what you think".

When you move up the corporate feeding chain, image and status are often interpreted by externalities, especially when you are in a company where you cannot know everyone's name. Names, titles, etc. are all ciphers until you get to know the folks and why they're in the position they are in: my experience has been that you will not work effectively with people over the long-term until you do have some face-to-face interaction and understand who they are and why they are there.

Wearing a certain kind of watch, psychologically, says something about you. I've worked with someone in New York, really excellent guy who knows his stuff, freelancer, who really struggles. His problem isn't keeping clients and making them happy, but rather getting clients in the first place, since he basically wears polyester suits and cheap LCD watches with inexpensive shoes, but his customer base is high-end real estate folks who dress in Armani, wear Patek and have hand-made shoes, not so much because they are so rich, but because it's what someone making 7 figures also can wear on a daily basis. They look at him and see first and foremost "poor guy" and he has difficulty getting them as clients, as he simply doesn't want to spend the money.

Sorry, getting off on a tangent there, but not entirely irrelevant.

In your average corporate environment, you'll find watches from LCD cheapies to upper-level Swiss watches. If someone doesn't know you, you can be fairly sure that they will try to classify you according to how you look.

Bluntly, any fool can walk into a jeweler's and walk out with a Rolex. All it takes is money.

But not anyone can show up with a art-deco 1950s Omega on their wrists. That takes time and effort, and shows to those who actually do care about these things that you care about them as well.

My kid brother is an industrial designer who deals with all sorts of folks. He always was a little intimidated when sitting with the financial people, with their exquisite suits and extremely expensive watches, and was more comfortable with his actual clients. He's extremely busy and has no time to learn about higher-end watches, and he largely has worn cheap LCD watches his whole life (They keep the time, what more do I want?).

Three years ago I gave him a vintage Gruen from the early 1960s, along with 4-5 pages on the history of the Gruen company. It's a nice, solid vintage watch. He loved it, since he could finally sit with the suits and not feel as intimidated: they just had money, he had a piece of history on his hand. He recently told me that it had served to improve his standing with a new client when the VP for finances, after a 4-hour meeting on a project, asked him about his watch and my brother was able to tell him all about it and what a great watch it was.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks guys for for your valuable opinions. Although some of you have recommended the vintage very much, I just can barely find it in my region (I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia).

John thank you for taking up so much time explaining how the our images and status can be interpreted by the externalities.. I've somehow had this idea but now you just reaffirm me that, but not that I'm buying a swiss made watch just in trying to level up my status or what not (well frankly it plays a minor part though, but just a little ), mostly I just can hold my thoughts anymore to get a quality, good looking watch.

And hey, finally I've made up my mind and got me my first Omega , yea eventually i went for Omega Speedmaster Proffesional, just can't draw my eyes off when they let me try on it. Initially i was planning to choose from Maurice Lacroix pontos and Baume & Mercier Classima, but later on I just felt that the Omega Speedmaster Proffessional suits my personality more, and their works on this watch are just excellent, nice design (especially both side sapphire crystal so that i can look into the mechanisms and appreciate the works from the backside), very good finishing, etc.. A bit pain on my wallet though it has actually exceed my budget, but i guess a real nice watch will worth the pain aiye, as long as I'm going to work hard to compensate the pain hahaa.

So thank you all again for giving me the opinions, coming up I shall have some more to discuss with you here. Good day!

And yea I'm getting this Omega Speedmaster Professional at around USD2704.. Is that a reasonable price (new piece from retailer)? Below are the details:-

Steel on Steel
    Reference: 3570.50.00

MOVEMENT
    Caliber: Omega 1861
    Famous manual-winding chronograph movement that was worn on the Moon. Rhodium-plated finish
    Power Reserve: 48 hours

CRYSTAL
    Hesalite crystal (They told me it's sapphire crystal is it not, and there is this sapphire crystal sign on the warranty card as well.. but strange the omega website says it's hesalite crystal)

CASE & DIAL
    Stainless steel case
    Diameter 42
    Black dial

Kytho80, IMO KL is one of the best places to buy watches! that's about 1/2 price of what I see speedmasters go for in Perth.

Buy from an AD to be sure you're getting the genuine article. A good AD there is Sincere Watches located in KL Plaza - ask for Jane, telepone 21410540 to get a price if you're already sure of what you want. I'll encourage you to call a few others as well, competition there is so intense KL's a great place to get a bargain.

Speedmasters come with Hesalite & Sapphire crystals, the card will indicate which one it is. Have fun!

Hi -

Congratulations on your watch! Quite a choice.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information