What style watch to gift little bro for his graduation?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What style watch to gift little bro for his graduation?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Little brother graduates in the spring, and I'm entertaining the idea of gifting him an inexpensive mechanical watch. Inexpensive because I'm not of means to gift a fine timepiece, and because I honestly think he would appreciate a Seiko 5 just as much as a Grand Seiko. Anyways, I'm not sure if giving the guy a watch is a good idea; although it seems like a cool gift.

Then, if I do, what manner of watch to give?

My options are basically: vintage watch, new cheap diver, new inexpensive dress watch.

Vintage watch could be cool, but he isn't much enthused over vintage anything, so the main allure of vintage gear may be lost on him. Then again, there's a better chance of gifting him a nicer watch within the possible price range.

An inexpensive dive watch could pass for a dress watch if it had to, but he could also wear it every day. It would also be nice and rugged.

Last, a dressier watch might be a nice thing for him to have; but then again, he might be better served by something he can wear every day.

On balance, it seems like the new diver sort of covers all the bases in that it's durable and versatile enough to be the one watch, as it were. But am I missing any important priorities?
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Re: What style watch to gift little bro for his graduation?

College or high school?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

What is your definition of INEXPENSIVE?
    I would say get a GShock or some quartz Casio
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

College.

I'm not concerned with what brand of watch so much as the style. If a dress watch, then he'd be getting a Seiko

...5 or something. No big deal. It's really a question of, to get him a dressier watch, or a sportier watch.

Sport is the way I would go, non-integrated bracelet, that way he can dress up or down,with different straps.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

His tastes must be factored in or you risk buying something he won't like. Is he more on the side of techno, macho, sporty, conspicuous ..... or more tailored, slim, dressy, classic?
    Last edited by Gary123; November 11th, 2017 at 22:53.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Put some thought into it. Inexpensive does not mean just any cheapo.
    If he is going into industry where he'll wear a suit (law, business, finance, office work) - a nice dress watch on leather strap may be appropriate. Perhaps an Orient Bambino.
    If he will be working more outdoors or in casual environment - a sportier watch may be more appropriate - Seiko 5 on a bracelet or Orient Ray.

Beyond that, consider wrist size - is he a big guy, medium built, thin. Seiko 5 have mosty smaller models, but there are exceptions.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I’d go with something like an Orient Bambino or similar that he could wear for job interviews and in first few years of work.

These guidelines are little to go on. What's the budget?

If you want vintage, I'd suggest posting a thread in the vintage forum, but again, with nothing really specified, the questions will be:
    -What's the budget? (which is always the question!)
    -Sporty? Dressy?
    -Decade of preference (in terms of style) - 1940s? 1950s? 1960s?
    -Hand winding or automatic?
    -Swiss? American? Japanese? Soviet?

People can suggest you a Poljot De Luxe for $50, a Zenith for $500, or an Omega Constellation for $1500. Or a 1960s time-only (with or without date) Rolex for north of $2K.

Keep in mind, that with vintage, you have to count in the cost of servicing, as the claims of the watch having been serviced are generally not to be trusted. And if you've never bought vintage before, the search will be long before you find a kosher specimen - it's best to ask for help with authentication in the Vintage forum (stay well out of Fake Busters sections of brand-oriented forums, they're a madhouse), as relying on the eBay seller's description or a vintage watch dealer's "expertise" is a silly thing to do.

Of contemporary watches, I'd suggest either the Seiko SARB033 or 035 (i.e. black or silver dial), equipped with the great 6R15 movement.
    Or, if you want a more dressy Seiko, you can check out the new Cocktail Time SRPB43J1 or SRPC03J1. The only disadvantage of the Cocktail Time is that they have "downgraded" it in terms of the movement - the 6R15 was replaced (for no reason) with the 4R35.
    If you'd prefer something more sophisticated, you can get a brand new Russian-made Strela (aka "the Russian Speedmaster") chronograph with the hand-wound Poljot 3133 (Russian clone of the Valjoux 7730) for roughly 500-600 euro.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information