What is the typical accuracy of a Rolex/Tudor or Panerai?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Toothbras
  • 2 Post By meganfox17

Thread: What is the typical accuracy of a Rolex/Tudor or Panerai?

What is the typical accuracy of a Rolex/Tudor or Panerai?

I am asking because colleages watchfriends told me that they need to adjust their Rolex for minutes gain or loss every month!

I am beginning to think that no mechanical watch is 100% accurate...

Thanks,

Bruno in Belgium

Re: What is the typical accuracy of a Rolex/Tudor or Panerai?

GhostlyProduct likes this.

My Rolex runs almost dead-on. Less than 1 second variation per month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Methinks your friend's Rolex needs a cleaning.
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

The accuracy of mechanical watches is absolutely terrible! You'd better just stay away and leave them to us. Us humble watch folk tend to live life a few minutes behind (or ahead of) the rest of the world. Believe me, you're gonna be saving a ton of money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoGeuth View Post
    I am asking because colleages watchfriends told me that they need to adjust their Rolex for minutes gain or loss every month!

Thanks,

Bruno in Belgium
    Seems like some basic research is in order. Classical Rolex COSC certification would provide -4/+6 specs. Recent shift to Superlative Chronometer certification means -2/+2 specs (seconds per day). Many will perform better.
    Simple math will tell you that -2/+2 sec/day variance equates to 1 minute per month. That is damn precise and more accurate than vast majority of watches out there (mechanical).

Now GS Springdrive could deliver better accuracy, but it uses quartz oscillator and is not 100% mechanical.
    And new Zenith Defy Laboratory promises vastly better accuracy, but that may be awhile before it's commercially available and is not a very fair comparison.

So the question I have - what's the point of original question? if to state that quartz will outperform luxury mechanicals, even some of the most accurate ones like Rolex, well duh - most people know that already. If to ask how much time gain\loss one can expect - many Rolex may perform way better than specs, but even a 1 min per month variance is not an issue. Unless you have a perpetual calendar - you can always sync the time when changing monthly date on 31st. And honestly - 1-2 mins per month - who gives a damn.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Say a COSC watch gains 30s a week and a 4 week month. The watch gains 2mins. per month so as Bruno’s friend said it is running minutes ahead of time each month. Of course most months have more than 30 days and +6s/ day is allowed so this a conservative figure.

Thanks,

Bruno in Belgium
    And just to add to this - no watch is 100% accurate. Quartz, even HAQ, will still allow for some variance (up to 15 sec/month for std quartz, and 5-10 seconds per year for HAQ from Citizen or GS)

Want closer to 100% - get atomic one that synchronizes constantly. Granted that's more of a smart computer\radio than a watch as it does not keep the time, but rather updates from another source on regular basis
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Wow! After 5 yrs as a member , you've finally figured that one out, huh ?
    Huliganchik and UberDave like this.

Thread Information