What watch is this?

Thread: What watch is this?

What watch is this?

In Ernest Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" the main character, Robert Jordan, an American fighting in the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil war (1936-39), wears a watch that Hemingway describes as follows:

"What a watch," Rafael said admiringly. "Look at what complications. Such a watch should be able to read and write. Look at what complications of numbers. It's a watch to end watches."

It has lume and a chronograph -- "He pushed the knob that set the second hand to clicking and watched it move around."

Does anyone know what watch Ernest Hemingway is describing?

Re: What watch is this?

I doubt you'll have much luck, you're going to need someone with incredible knowledge of history and watches and it will still be a longshot.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

I figured a watch so legendary that Ernest Hemingway would call it the "watch to end watches" would have an identity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

All we know is that its a chronograph. I dont see a reference to lume, nor do I see any actual identifying characteristics. I dont know what you were expecting, but I'm afraid it may have been too much.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

The reference to lume was in another passage. In fact, there are multiple references to this watch throughout the first few chapters. I just picked the ones that stuck out most. It's not like a random off-hand reference to a watch in some obscure book by some obscure author. For Whom the Bell Tolls is arguably the greatest war novel of the 20th century, and it's authored by one of the great American writers. I thought perhaps someone might have come across an article, or something, taking an educated guess.

Thread Information