What watch to buy my wife? - Page 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What watch to buy my wife?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What watch to buy my wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Are not these man's watches?
    If they fit, who cares. I don’t own a single watch in my collection that’s a true “ladies” watch. Sizes range from 32-40mm. I think you’ll find more ladies are not going for the blingy/tiny watches anymore.

OP, if your wife was also a watch enthusiast, I would definitely not gift a watch. But seeing that she’s not, and only owns 2 fashion watches. I think your safe in picking out a surprise for her. But to always be safe, you could show her a few pics of maybe not your exact options but similar and see what style she likes. You already know she likes the Shinola, so staying close to that look would be safe (Or even just buying the Shinola;). If my husband gifted me any of the watches you have in mind, I’d be over the moon. Can’t think of a better way to encourage your spouse to be interested in your hobby than to buy them a cool watch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What watch to buy my wife?

First and foremost--and this is VERY important--does she truly WANT a watch? I ask this because, despite all the best intentions, I have seen this situation come to disappointing conclusions, much more often than not--not just from personal experience, but from those around me, and from many posts in the past here. What she really would like, and what you think she would like could possibly be worlds apart--and, even if she did want a watch, and clearly said so, unless she specifically referred to certain models, or specific characteristics, you may be swinging a whole lot more than you are hitting--sure, whatever you buy, likely will be appreciated--but, somewhere down the line, it may turn out that in fact, THAT really wasn't what she wanted, and would have preferred you either asked her opinions, or perhaps not spent as much on a watch, and saved the money to allow her to buy what she really wanted. In most cases, watches probably mean a LOT more to you than they likely do to her.

Over the years I've bought this one or that for my wife--some great, some expensive, all carefully thought out--and finally realized all she wanted was something rather basic, not to be worn all that often--after a Rolex, a Patek Phillippe, a Bulova, and others, she opted for a Citizen Eco-Drive...
    Last edited by timefleas; September 16th, 2018 at 07:15.
    Rocket1991 and Sebast975 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post
    The Breitling Galactic was discontinued in March 2018. There are very nice versions of the Galactic in 30mm, 32mm, 36mm, 41mm, and 44mm. A quick search shows me that there are still some floating around out there at quite a savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Are not these man's watches?
    There are both Men's and Ladies' models of the Galactic. That was the great thing about it; something for everyone. Note all of the available sizes. On the other hand, the OP's wife is looking at the Shinola Runwell, a 41mm men's watch.
    Current Lineup: TBD
    Rolex Submariner 116613LN Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Breitling Galactic Unitime Sleek T World Timer Breitling Avenger II Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster 300M 44MM GMT Chronograph Deep Blue Master 2000
    Tissot T-Touch Expert, All Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive World Perpetual AT CB0000-57E
    TBD TBD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Among all the images, I love the color combo of Oris the best. BUT, Oris logo isn't elegant enough. So I had to go for Nomos. Not the Nomos you have shown. Nomos Campus. This watch is elegant with a bit of fun.

Name:  708-709-club-campus-3d-front.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  34.3 KB

katfromTN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    First and foremost--and this is VERY important--does she truly WANT a watch? I ask this because, despite all the best intentions, I have seen this situation come to disappointing conclusions, much more often than not--not just from personal experience, but from those around me, and from many posts in the past here. What she really would like, and what you think she would like could possibly be worlds apart--and, even if she did want a watch, and clearly said so, unless she specifically referred to certain models, or specific characteristics, you may be swinging a whole lot more than you are hitting--sure, whatever you buy, likely will be appreciated--but, somewhere down the line, it may turn out that in fact, THAT really wasn't what she wanted, and would have preferred you either asked her opinions, or perhaps not spent as much on a watch, and saved the money to allow her to buy what she really wanted. In most cases, watches probably mean a LOT more to you than they likely do to her.

Over the years I've bought this one or that for my wife--some great, some expensive, all carefully thought out--and finally realized all she wanted was something rather basic, not to be worn all that often--after a Rolex, a Patek Phillippe, a Bulova, and others, she opted for a Citizen Eco-Drive...
    No, we are WIS, we want our ladies to appreciate watches. We don't allow them to lug Michael Kors around LOL.
    katfromTN likes this.

I would second the advice of letting her pick. However, my wife preferred I pick. I selected a Tudor that fit her wrist size well and she is very happy. Very classic, white dial on a bracelet and fits with many styles of dress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    katfromTN likes this.

I’m glad @katfromTN chimed in. As soon as I read the original post I was going to page her to talk about the Stowa Partitio! I agree it has a somewhat similar look at the Shinola. Damasko also has some cool, somewhat rugged watches that could work for her, too. Likewise with Sinn. The Germans have some cool watches right now that are worth considering!
    katfromTN and craigr812 like this.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Buy her a Cartier. Or some Diamond Earrings.

38mm this: https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...d-dials-price/ (but you have to wait a bit... do not think it has been released yet)

Absolutely this.

I've never dared to buy my wife anything expensive without consulting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartersawn View Post
    Take your wife shopping and let her select the watch she likes best.

She will do a better job than you or a bunch of strangers on the internet.
    Quartersawn likes this.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information