What watch did you really want at one time, but now know you will not get?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What watch did you really want at one time, but now know you will not get?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

What watch did you really want at one time, but now know you will not get?

we all have lists of what watches we plan to buy, or would like to buy. the list changes quite a bit for some. while certain watches remain constant in our hearts, other watches lose their luster. we usually have a grail and then the rest of the pack. my list's rankings fluctuate, but most watches remain on that list. however, at one time i really, really wanted a Rolex Submariner. but now i wouldn't even think about getting one. nothing against the great brand of Rolex, mainly a change of preference.

which watch did you at one time really want, but now would not buy?

Re: What watch did you really want at one time, but now know you will not get?

Bell & Ross BR 03-92

I have many - the Hamilton X-wind comes to mind. When I first started down the road to WISdome I really liked this design - but now it just seems too cluttered for my liking.

As mentioned, this is just one of many. I'd like to know if this phenomenon settles down with time in the hobby? I went through my covet list just this weekend - and removed about half - to be replaced by completely different models.

Watch Photos: http://s884.photobucket.com/home/PhotoBuff0/index

Current Stable

Seiko Orange Monster SKX781K1
    Seiko Orange Samurai TI SBDA005
    Seiko Orange Sport Diver 6106-7107
    Orient Orange Mako
    Hamilton Khaki Aviation QNE
    Seiko M55 Sea Lion Date 6206-9000
    Seiko M77 Sea Lion Date 8305-1000 (needs balance wheel)
    Bulova 98C62 Marine Star Diver
    Oris XXL Regulator
    Schaumburg Watch - Lindburgh & Benson - Ellomatic #1 Chronograph
    Croton Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver (Valjoux 23)
    Omega Seamaster GMT 2234.50
    Longines Master Collection Retrograde L2.716.4

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That answer can be sum up by my most recent flips: RW Freelancer, Swiss Army Garrison & Ball Cleveland come to mind, to name a few

Banned

A few years ago I thought I wanted a Cartier. I still like their classic tank case, but no longer desire one. I never did the research on them and I lost a little interest.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchBuff0 View Post
    I'd like to know if this phenomenon settles down with time in the hobby?
    Yes, definitely. You may still see a lot of watches you like, but you learn from mistakes that some sizes/styles/colors aren't what you want on your wrist. Good in pictures doesn't always translate to good in person on you.

You become less impulsive too. I try to keep a narrow focus on 2 or 3 brands with 2 - 5 specific "targets of opportunity" from each. If one pops up at a good price I jump on it. Usually, 3 or 4 pop up and I have to decide which one(s) to grab. I let condition and price decide most times.

Your list will still evolve and that's natural. Go with it - and make use of the sales forum!

Omega Speedmaster. I thought it was the be-all and end-all when i first saw it. After some time and research, I still like it. In the same way i like to sleep in sometimes. If it happens, great, but I can do without it.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

There's a few for me. But the two that spring to mind are two Tags. There's nothing wrong with these watches, at all, rather I've just decided that I don't think they'd look good on my wrist.

Tag Carrera. Love the watch's look, but it's too thick for me. When I saw it on my wrist I knew it right away.

Tag Monaco. I really like Steve McQueen, but I just know that this watch wouldn't look good on my wrist, so I probably won't buy one.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I had a thing for the OM, never really understood why since Im not a big fan of divers. Since picking up a few Oceanaires though Ive changed my tune on divers and not at all inclined to pick up an OM.
    The other is pretty much any new Omega outside of the Aqua Terra - due probably to the fact its beat to death on forums.

I love watches as much as the next person but I don't tend to worry about items that I can't afford, can't wear or won't purchase. :thanks
    Last edited by k7lro; March 29th, 2010 at 06:58.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Tag Carrera - always wanted one till I was able to handle one/wear one for the first time, I was very unimpressed and therefore will never buy one

Rolex - of course like most young guys WIS I wanted a Rolex, didn't matter which, just wanted one lol...since then I have owned/wore/handled almost every single model and could not find 1 redeeming quality of any of them esp. for that kind of $ except the Daytona which I think is a little undersized but still nice.

again these are my personal opinions and not meant to be made into any kind of argument over brand quality, technical specs, etc. in the end its different strokes, for different folks

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information