What watch do you *want* to love? Watches that are almost perfect but just don't do it for you.
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What watch do you *want* to love? Watches that are almost perfect but just don't do it for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What watch do you *want* to love? Watches that are almost perfect but just don't do it for you.

Sometimes you read about a watch, and on paper it just blows you away. Maybe it features some advanced tech, some cool complications, perfect design touches--but somehow, as a whole, it just doesn't work for you.

This thread is for the watches that you feel are somehow less than the sum of their parts. Watches that you want to *want*, that you want to *love*, that you *should* love, but you just don't.

The best example of this for me is the Grand Seiko Snowflake. https://imgur.com/a/welGryp So many reasons to love this watch:

-The dial. The dial surface itself is gorgeous and unique. The hands are sharp and crisp, and the blue seconds hand provides a handsome hint of color. The indices are polished and faceted to perfection--you could watch the cool blue seconds hand's buttery sweep reflected in every bare metal surface on that dial ALL. DAY. LONG. Clean and crisp printing that looks great on the textured dial to boot.

-The Spring Drive. One of the coolest movements ever in my opinion. One of the few truly different approaches to timekeeping out there, this hybrid movement keeps time to within 1s. It's beautifully finished and decorated by GS and is shown off by an ample display caseback. Most important, it lends a hydraulic smoothness to the sweet of the seconds hand which just looks amazing.

-Finishing. GS is known to do some of the best finishing around. GS could stand for "gold standard" because for real, they do flawless work.

-The materials. Zaratsu polished hardened titanium. What's not to love? It's got a great color, is lightweight, and the high level of finishing on Ti is technically very impressive.

But still, somehow as a total package, it leaves me saying, "meh". Macros make me drool, but when I look at wrist shots or pics of the whole watch and bracelet, I get...nothing. Which watches are like that for you?

Re: What watch do you *want* to love? Watches that are almost perfect but just don't do it for you.

G-shocks...pick one
    guspech750 likes this.
    I do not have a watch collection - I have an accumulation of watches

Re: What watch do you *want* to love? Watches that are almost perfect but just don't do it for you.

Damasko, anything in the "hockey puck" case, such as the DA 34 and DA 36--look fabulous in pictures, but the case is just a tall cylindrical piece of metal, with almost no tapering, strapped on my just under 7" wrist--feels like I'm wearing a rock--and I don't learn my lessons quickly--I have bought at least 4 Damaskos based on the great pictures, and sold each one for the same reason.
    watchcrank, WTM and 41Mets like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Among the GMTs I want to get, all have one factor that is just barely keeps them from being an instant buy:
    • The new Christopher Ward C65 Trident GMT
    • AirNautic Early Bird
    • Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT

The logo at 9:00 for the first. The size for the latter two. Glycine messed up big time by discontinuing the Airman No. 1.

SARB035.

I’ve spent way too much time sad that the dial is yellow, not white.
    brandon\ likes this.
    SEIKO | TISELL | CASIO | TIMEX

I was all a flutter when I heard about the new Chris Ward C60 Bronze GMT but when it was launched eventually it was pin and balloon time for me.

The Black Bay GMT. Initially I thought "wow" but then I noticed the thickness and the way the indices were moved closer to the bezel, creating too much negative space on the dial.
    41Mets likes this.
    JLCReversoMediumSmallSecondsGrandSeiko4520-8000RolexExplorer114270

I picked up a Rolex Explorer II (the earlier version that is 39/40mm) and I like it, but it just a little small for my wrist. Perhaps the newer one at 42mm would be better, but I'd need to see one in person and my AD doesn't have one in stock.
    Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?
    - Albert Einstein

Current Rotation - Rolex ExplorerII, Tag Foruma 1 Calibre 5, Luminox Series 3900 Navy Seal (yellow)

A

Rolex. Bought myself one, to experience it, but in the long-term, I don't love the look of it on me in first-person perspective. I love the look of it when I wear it in front of a body-length mirror though, I like how it looks in third-person perspective.

Recently, think I saw GMT Master II on a stranger on the street, loved how the jubilee bracelet sparkled on him and loved the colorful bezel on him, somewhat made me want one, but knowing that in the long-term I probably wouldn't like how it looks on me in first-person perspective, I have no desire to buy. Same thing today when I saw white-dial Daytona on someone else.

The standard Speedy Pro. Just can't get in with the design, even if I love the history. I just find the current standard ones boring looking.
    Current: Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie || Hamilton Khaki King

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information