What watch do you recommend (ti vs. stainless steel)

Thread: What watch do you recommend (ti vs. stainless steel)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What watch do you recommend (ti vs. stainless steel)

I just bought a Casio G-shock DW6900 for my diving adventures, and now, I'm looking to buy another nicer, pricier watch. I used to have a nautica watch before, but somewhat stole it. I don't remember the size, but it wasn't too big, wasn't too small, and it was round. I like to have something that I can wear on both casual and more formal occasions. It MUST BE 200m water resistant, as I MIGHT take it on diving on some occasions (when I forget to take my casio watch), take it with me to shower, in the pool, etc. I want something that is durable as well, as I tend to hit my wrist to doors from time to time. I bit of a sporty look would be nice as well. Oh, and round.

I couple of brands that I've looked and liked are TISSOT (I really love the t-touch series, although I feel I'll be paying for features which I would barely use and 75% of them are not accurate), CITIZEN (love the Ecodrive function), and I've heard that REACTOR is a really good brand as well, although I'm open to other brands as well.

Other than that, which one's better: titanium or stainless steel? I heard ti is lighter and more durable. True? Then why would anyone buy stainless steel?

Re: What watch do you recommend (ti vs. stainless steel)

Many ppl., including me, prefer the weight/heft, of stainless, and of course many ppl. prefer a lighter weight on their wrist.
    I believe titanium is more easily scratched also but I've never owned one so I don't really know.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Oh and i forgot to include the price range ... anything from 200-400, maybe 450, although the lower I keep it the better I feel :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WX1

I dunno if I have an answer here as I, too, have a Ti vs. SS dilemma. I like the dull look (no smudges or fingerprints that I can see) and grainy feel yet definite metallic-ness of the Ti watches at the onset (i.e., U.S.-sold Citizen 2100) of their release and at the same time I'm not too fond of the recent development in shiny Ti. On the other hand, I appreciate brushed stainless steel 'cause of its classic role (I don't think noted SS Rolexes'll become devalued if the company starts employing more titanium; yes, I do believe I saw their ads in a certain watch magazine where Rolex talks about the steel they use for their cases and bracelets) and I also like SS's heavy weight as Tragic mentioned above.

I like both so much that it'll just come down to other factors of the watch (i.e., movement: I'd choose the mech/auto' if the other make has a quartz function; look: I'd choose a diver's or classic style looking watch over anything else).

So, for me, the dull, grainy, metallic-ness of Ti and the hides-scratches-nicely-brushed-SS go neck and neck in this race.

Wait, one more caveat -- Ti has a sliiiiiiiight advantage for me over SS as Ti's more resistant to corrosion. But, I have a watch handed down to me (which started "this thing" to borrow from The Sopranos ) that's SS that has enough stories about to have been through heck at the very least. I guess what I'm saying is the prove-time over years is what Ti has to satisfy for me, despite the scientif' lit' that tells me Ti can fight off rust and other nasties.

Still two strong champions that can't defeat one another; real Capt. America vs. Batman from that Justice League vs. The Avengers four-issue from a few years back.
    Last edited by WX1; April 27th, 2007 at 05:18.

one thing thats not been mentioned on any watch thread about titanium, is after time, heating and cooling makes ti brittle. fact not fiction.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    one thing thats not been mentioned on any watch thread about titanium, is after time, heating and cooling makes ti brittle. fact not fiction.
    Hi yamahaki,

This is true of Ti that has cycled through the heating and cooling cycles of jet engines! If it were true of the temperature cycle experienced by your wrist the metal would be next to useless.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

it was just a thought on the difference between the metals. ti will degrade sooner than ss through repeated heat and cold cycles. over time ti will also change color. but that does add to the character of ti. I'm just a old ss man at heart.

ti is too light.. i love SS.. heavy.. heavy means reliable :)

I've worn a Ti Seiko Kinetic Auto-Relay (SMA163) practically every day for the past 4 years. It was my college graduation present. I was attracted to the lack of weight in comparison to stainless, as I was going from wearing no watch daily, to this watch, and I didn't want the weight. It's only just now that I'm expanding the number of watches I own, as my interests have been focused elsewhere up till now.

Frankly I love the titanium. It has a great look, and this particular band is really comfortable. It is light enough that you hardly know it is there sometimes. It does scratch, as there is hazing and wear all over the band and case, but I'm guessing that can be mostly taken care of with a polishing cloth. My biggest complaint about the watch today has nothing to do with the design or the case, rather that I've managed to severely scratch the crystal several times. I'd like to have the crystal replaced with a sapphire one, but haven't figured out where to have this done yet.

These days I'm interested in manual and auto watches though. I don't need to know the time to the precise second, and the idea of a purely mechanical watch just speaks to me. So I'm looking to add a few more to the stable. I imagine that eventually I'll likely come back to this one though.

Chris

Maybe it's just me....but Ti belongs in drivers and golf clubs...it is easily scratchable and it is next to impossible to polish....and, I like a good watch to have some "heft" to it!
    "Find the little bastards......and then pile on!" Maj Gen George S Patton IV

Honored & Proud Member, "G5" (Disdained by the intellectually dishonest!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information