What watches were given to you by your father/relative?
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: What watches were given to you by your father/relative?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Question What watches were given to you by your father/relative?

I was reading on another thread started by a woman who was deeply touched that her father gave her his Seiko 5 Sports. You could feel how much she was effected by his gift and it got me thinking about the watch my father gave me. When I turned 50 a few weeks ago, he gifted me his Rolex Oysterquartz day/date. Ironically it was given to him by a business associate when he did business in Saudi Arabia in about 1980. It hit me hard. I remember as a young kid thinking it was the coolest thing in the world--Bright gold with diamonds!!!! The '80s were like that for you too young to remember! When he would go out of town and leave the watch at home I would sneak it out so I could wear it to school. Looking back I'm really happy I didn't lose or damage it. I don't think I would have made it out of the '80s if I did!

Here's a pic of the watch along with my white gold OP day/date.

I'd love to hear your story about a watch given to you by a loved one....

LadyTime, Gary622 and Molliedooker like this.
    Michael

The Better
    Rolex Oysterquartz day/date 19018 (yellow gold); Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date 18039 (white gold); Rolex Yachtmaster 116622; Omega Seamaster Co-Axial Professional 2220.80; Eterna KonTiki Date 1220.41.63.0268; Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT GM1086C-L1-BK; Franck Muller Casablanca 5850 (Salmon dial); Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 111; Frederic Constant Vintage Rally Healey GMT FC350CH5B4

The Good
    Smiths Everest PRS-25, Seiko SKX009 Seiko Mini Ice Monster SRP481K1 Tissot T-Race T472; Technomarine Yacht; Citizen Aqualand (circa 1989); Swiss Legend Sprinter; Stuhrling Adamas Open Heart Regulator; Shinola Runwell 41mm; Raymond Weil Tango 5560; Benrus Curvex (Circa 1930); Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805

Re: What watches were given to you by your father/relative?

Got this circa 1967 Longines from my dad the last time I visited them. Originally given to him by my mom when they got engaged. It wasn't worn much, and at one point didn't work anymore. Sometime about 10 years ago (maybe more?- Neither of them remember), they got it serviced, but I don't know what was done at the service.

My dad doesn't really wear the watch much, so they thought I would like to have it.

I shined it up with a cape cod cloth, used some polywatch on the crystal to remove some scratches and put a new band on it. I was thinking about getting it serviced, but it seems to be keeping really good time, so I'll probably wait a little for the service.

Here's a pic with it on my wife (I was using her as a watch winder before I finally caved in and got one):

This is what it looked like before I cleaned it up:

This is a pic of the movement. I'm not sure if it is the original movement, as I wonder if it was replaced when my parents did the service. It looks like a Longines 291, but I don't know much else about it.

Here's a pic of the inside of the case back. Not sure what all of the numbers mean (is one a model number?):

I have been wearing the watch a couple of times a week to work. I assume it is fairly fragile (relative to a modern auto), so I only wear it when I know I'll be mostly desk diving. The rest of the time, I've got it on a watch winder.
    Wibbs, James A, wwarren and 4 others like this.

None. Most of my family come from coal mining backgrounds and wearing a watch was not only impractical it often made the wearer the target of practical jokes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

....I give them watches...
    LadyTime likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

What watches were given to you by your father/relative?

Great Grandfather's Elgin pocket watch (1907):

Grandfather's 1959 Tudor Oyster:

Both watches are engraved. The Elgin has his initials, and the Tudor was a gift to my grandfather from the crew of his ship. Two of my most treasured possessions.
    Last edited by gordon9999; January 27th, 2015 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon9999;121

Grandfather's 1959 Tudor Oyster:
    [IMG
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/27/c8ba868ccd55699dc93abd2f0835fdca.jpg[/IMG]
    Both are amazing but I LOVE the Tudor. I certainly understand why you treasure them.

I can't make out the inscription on the back of the Tudor. Can you tell us what it is?
    Last edited by chefmhf; January 27th, 2015 at 20:51.
    grayhulk likes this.
    Michael

The Better
    Rolex Oysterquartz day/date 19018 (yellow gold); Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date 18039 (white gold); Rolex Yachtmaster 116622; Omega Seamaster Co-Axial Professional 2220.80; Eterna KonTiki Date 1220.41.63.0268; Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT GM1086C-L1-BK; Franck Muller Casablanca 5850 (Salmon dial); Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 111; Frederic Constant Vintage Rally Healey GMT FC350CH5B4

The Good
    Smiths Everest PRS-25, Seiko SKX009 Seiko Mini Ice Monster SRP481K1 Tissot T-Race T472; Technomarine Yacht; Citizen Aqualand (circa 1989); Swiss Legend Sprinter; Stuhrling Adamas Open Heart Regulator; Shinola Runwell 41mm; Raymond Weil Tango 5560; Benrus Curvex (Circa 1930); Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805

Dad gave me a Pop Swatch for my bday
    LadyTime likes this.

From my dad...

Name:  IMG_20150125_000202.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  2.43 MB

And this came today, also from dad...he MUST be spoiling me...

Name:  IMG_20150125_150704.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  2.10 MB

A real daddy's girl, for sure...
    brrrdn, f308gt4, James A and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmhf View Post
    Both are amazing but I LOVE the Tudor. I certainly understand why you treasure them.

I can't make out the inscription on the back of the Tudor. Can you tell us what it is?
    "Skipper
    &
    Shipmate
    A.H <last name redacted>
    C.C.C Papaw 59"

(C.C.C standing for Coast Guard Cutter.)

Now, if you can read the initials on the pocket watch, I'll be truly impressed. I thought it was just a decoration until my grandfather explained it…

And, yes, I adore this watch. It had been sitting in a drawer for decades when my mom came across it about a year ago. Still ran and kept great time, even before I got it serviced, polished, and put a new alligator strap on. I wear it all the time. Accurate to within about 8 seconds a day after 56 years, and it's never had a single part replaced.
    LadyTime likes this.

From my great uncle:

LadyTime, James A, wwarren and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information