What would be a step up from a Seiko?

Thread: What would be a step up from a Seiko?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What would be a step up from a Seiko?

Hello. I'm new to the forum; I've been here daily reading for the past several weeks, and I decided to register and maybe ask a question or two. Great forum here!

I have several watches that I really like: Seiko SNL003, Seiko SNA765, ESQ Crestone, Luminox 3001, and I have several Skagens that I wear when I dress up (I know Skagens aren't generally well-regarded here, but I'm not hard on watches and they've lasted several years). I'm ready for a new watch, but I don't know what exactly I want. I do have a bit of an issue with spending a couple of thousand dollars on a watch that's not as accurate as my Seikos and will have to be serviced every couple of years for the price of a new Seiko. I've considered just buying more of the same type/quality watches (Citizen, Bulova, etc) as I do really love my Seikos, but if I wanted to buy a "nicer" watch (say $1000-$1500 new, I will probably buy it used to save money) what should I look at? What would be a step up, so to speak, from a Seiko? Tissot? Hamilton? Others? And what is better about watches that are a step up from a Seiko? Is it the fit and finish, the quality of the movements, will the watch last longer, is the watch more accurate, is it just better looking...what is the difference between what I have and more expensive watches?

I want a watch that could be casual or maybe a little dressier with something like a polo shirt and blazer. I don't really have a preference between mechanical vs quartz. I also don't have a preference between SS vs leather band, but I have a big wrist (about 8" - 8.25") so I have a harder time finding leather bands that fit. I also don't need complications on the watch like chronographs, moon phase, etc. What would you recommend for me (it can be a specific watch or a general brand of watches)?

Sorry my first question was a bit of a long one. Thanks for any help.

Jordan

Re: What would be a step up from a Seiko?

Grand Seiko?
    Signature here

Check out ORIS.
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
    Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Jordan,
    I'm kinda new here, too. The site is awesome.
    Seiko makes some pretty awesome watches - you should research what they offer. I have two Seikos (an SNM037 and an SBDX001 Marine Master 300). From what I gather, the Marine Master is considered to be somewhat of a classic. It really is an awesome piece. Seiko also makes the Grand Seiko line. One of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen is the SBGM001. I hope I can afford one some day. Additionally, they make the Springdrive line (big dollars). So, I think Seiko makes a "nicer" watch that's a "step up" from your other Seiko models. Hope this helps.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono:

TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Great question.

The most natural step up from Seiko is Seiko.

After that Seiko.... and after that Grand Seiko.

If you get crazy you can look at Credor.

So in conclusion... Go with Seiko.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by drjordan View Post
    Hello. I'm new to the forum; I've been here daily reading for the past several weeks, and I decided to register and maybe ask a question or two. Great forum here!

I have several watches that I really like: Seiko SNL003, Seiko SNA765, ESQ Crestone, Luminox 3001, and I have several Skagens that I wear when I dress up (I know Skagens aren't generally well-regarded here, but I'm not hard on watches and they've lasted several years). I'm ready for a new watch, but I don't know what exactly I want. I do have a bit of an issue with spending a couple of thousand dollars on a watch that's not as accurate as my Seikos and will have to be serviced every couple of years for the price of a new Seiko. I've considered just buying more of the same type/quality watches (Citizen, Bulova, etc) as I do really love my Seikos, but if I wanted to buy a "nicer" watch (say $1000-$1500 new, I will probably buy it used to save money) what should I look at? What would be a step up, so to speak, from a Seiko? Tissot? Hamilton? Others? And what is better about watches that are a step up from a Seiko? Is it the fit and finish, the quality of the movements, will the watch last longer, is the watch more accurate, is it just better looking...what is the difference between what I have and more expensive watches?

I want a watch that could be casual or maybe a little dressier with something like a polo shirt and blazer. I don't really have a preference between mechanical vs quartz. I also don't have a preference between SS vs leather band, but I have a big wrist (about 8" - 8.25") so I have a harder time finding leather bands that fit. I also don't need complications on the watch like chronographs, moon phase, etc. What would you recommend for me (it can be a specific watch or a general brand of watches)?

Sorry my first question was a bit of a long one. Thanks for any help.

Jordan
    Maybe you are looking for just different brand options and styles, rather than the most common ones (like Seiko-Hamilton etc).

I would checkout a site such as Gnomon Watches – Watches + Accessories + Emotions . It will give you an idea of some great low-mid tier brands and what they offer, that are not necessarily better than Seiko etc.........just different.

Wow .... I didn't know of Credor .... amazing! This one will go on my want-but-will-never-have list.

Sorry, but you've struck a bit of a sensitive area with your well-intended question.

Seiko makes watches costing from very little to over US$100,000. Their high end watches are wonderful instruments, easily comparable to the best of Switzerland or Germany in similar price ranges.

So asking "what's a step up from Seiko" isn't really easy to answer.

Rather, you might want to ask what's out there for a particular price range, in a particular style, in all good brands.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

Quote Originally Posted by drjordan View Post
    .... I do have a bit of an issue with spending a couple of thousand dollars on a watch that's not as accurate as my Seikos and will have to be serviced every couple of years for the price of a new Seiko. ....

Jordan
    My read is the OP is asking for a recommendation for a quartz watch.

I'd look at getting a Breitling Aerospace, but it is more like $1000-2000 used. Seiko Spring Drives also fit the description but are too expensive. The Bulova Precisionist series fits, but is below the price range. There is probably a Grand Seiko quartz which fits or maybe a used Seamaster quartz, The tough thing is the price gap in quartz watches. Most are either well below the price range or well above the specified price range.

What you get as you move up in price on quartz watches is principally nicer cases, bands, dials and hands. When you make a big move up, you get a better movement too. Not necessarily one that will last longer, but generally a more accurate one. For more info on this, check out the HEQ forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information