What would you buy first?
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What would you buy first?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What would you buy first?

Here is the dilemma: I'm early retired and don't wear suits often. Only for special occasions like weddings, funerals, special lunch and dinner occasions, theater/opera etc. In average it's maybe 10-15 times in a year. I don't have a dress watch (sold it), but now I really need/want one that is dress/dressy, but also good for casual wear (with jeans, T-shirts, collar shirts etc.). So classic dress watches are out. I've 7.5 inch wrist, and prefer watches 40-44mm. Having limited funds, I'm in affordable watches group (<250$), and also can buy one watch every 5-6 months or so. Having that said, I have narrowed down my choice to these watches (see pics): Orient Agent (or Orient Polaris GMT), Orient Sun and Moon, Orient NEO 70s Panda or Seiko Recraft SSC559 (or similar). I'm planning to buy them all in the future, but for that I need ~1,5 year. Considering above mentioned situation, which one would you buy as first and why? Any other suggestions in that price range and look (no Chinese or no-name micro brands please)? Pics will be appreciated. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!Name:  696dc99b5df984561e52f43b128b3161.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  63.5 KBName:  downloadfile.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  104.6 KBName:  91R2S6qcNnL._UY445_.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  29.5 KBName:  8120Kv+YRbL._UY445_.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  24.4 KBName:  91BW-ehFMTL._UY445_.jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  32.7 KB

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Re: What would you buy first?

Well purely personal preference but the GMT in the second picture is my favourite out of that lot. I am not even into GMT function (though nice to cross that off the list of things to have) but I think it is the layout and dial texture that attracts me.
    8Days and apudabam like this.
    AP Royal Oak 14790, VC Overseas Chrono 49140, Rolex Submariner 16610, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 2561.80, JLC Master Moonphase 18ct white 140.3.98, Longines 1921 Manual wind, Cartier Pasha 18ct Yellow W3004856 , Rolex Extra Prima 9ct 1924, Seiko Cocktail Time SSA345J1

I’m really liking that GMT with the textured white dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    apudabam likes this.
    “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”
    Mark Twain
    “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”
    Oscar Wilde
    “Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.”
    Robert Frost

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I'll definitely go with the Orient GMT. best definition of classic among all three of them.

I like that Orient GMT. If you can stretch your budget a bit i would look into Orient star, something like the DE00002W. Either way both make good watches.

Name:  orient-de00002w-1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  108.5 KB
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboyz View Post
    Well purely personal preference but the GMT in the second picture is my favourite out of that lot. I am not even into GMT function (though nice to cross that off the list of things to have) but I think it is the layout and dial texture that attracts me.
    This.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

I’d say go with the GMT. Orient sun and moon is gorgeous, but super thick. Doesn’t do the dress watch look. What about the Orient Star Classic in white or blue? The white dial with blued hands is gorgeous, and $295 on jomashop

rfortson likes this.

Well, I must say I am a bit surprised till now. I thought Chronographs will get most votes. Not that I am more into chronos, just was my guessing... As for the Orient Star goes - nice watch, but out of my budget. Currently I can't stretch so much. I also dig Polaris more than Agent. Not just because of dial (even I also like it better than Agent's), but also case shape looks nicer to me. Don't mind to much about GMT function. Don't really need it, but don't mind if it's there. Only slight issue is it's more expensive than Agent - almost 2x I think? And everywhere sold out currently. Any suggestions where can I find it with best price?

Update: Just now during watching YT videos, I have stumbled on this Orient Vintage Power reserve FFD0F001W0 watch. Same textured dial like Polaris GMT, but without GMT function, and chapter ring with minute markings instead of GMT hours. It's also smaller - 40mm vs 42mm Polaris, so more closely to dress watches size. Of course, lacking of GMT function makes it less expensive. What do you think about this as cheaper alternative to Polaris GMT? Same nice textured dial, slightly smaller case size, and less expensive...Name:  JTYzKXj.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  54.2 KBName:  FFD0F004W-5.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  39.6 KB

TheJohnP, grnjp88 and Vioviv like this.

Think you’re onto a winner!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information