What would you buy if...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What would you buy if...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would you buy if...

Hello fellow members. I'm in a ridiculous dilemma I've never been in before. I have some funds to make a purchase (about 600) but am completely at a loss as to what I want to get (not such a bad problem I guess). Yes, this basically is one of those "What would you buy for $xxx" so my apologies, but I thought I'd try and pick some of your brains to see what options all of you can provide.

So here's some info. I have a 7" wrist, and am looking for something within the 38-44mm range, lug-to-lug no greater than 50mm. Not looking for dress watches. Will be purchasing the watch used. I could spend it all on one, or use it for two pieces. I currently have:

Christopher Ward C60 Trident (black dial, charcoal bezel)
    Orient Mako black
    Seiko Chronograph

I'm not locked into any particular style, can do auto or quartz, japanese or swiss. No digital at this time.

So lend me a hand people, help me spend some funds!

Re: What would you buy if...

How 'bout something dressier? FC, Seiko SARB ....
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

It's Ok if you don't like 'em, but I'm on a huge Oris Divers Date kick right now. Decent used models can be had for between $550 and $600 if you time it right...even less if you're lucky. I'm more of a fan of the older no-wave dials though. Here are two of mine (I'm up to three and I could see it going to five at the expense of things I've already got):

Name:  Pair.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  89.8 KB

A better shot of my favorite so-ugly-it's-beautiful model, the Titan Divers Date with a lume dial:

Name:  IMG_0444%202.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  77.8 KB

What the heck, here's a shot of the newest one:

Name:  IMG_0453.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  101.4 KB

There large, chunky 44mm watches that wear smaller (I've got 6.75" wrists) and because of the curved lugs they're comfortable to boot. Stainless and titanium are both options. I kind of think of them as minor icons and hope Oris keeps the style around for a long time. Having said that, now's a good time to look for JDM watches (Japanese Domestic Market). With the way the Yen is right now, prices are pretty favorable. If you go this route look for sellers WUS members like such as Seiya Japan, Higuchi Inc and Chino Watch. They've got the best prices, service and access. Browsing their sites is a great way to see some interesting/unusual stuff and high quality stuff.
    Last edited by ljb187; June 27th, 2013 at 23:12.
    Dienekes likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think in that position, I'd look for a slightly used Bathys 100 Fathoms automatic.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Off the top of my head, for $600 used I think I'd buy a Squale 50 atmos or a Helson Skindiver. If I were to spread the $600 over more than one, I'd buy a Seiko SXK007 and a Precista PRS18A. Done. I like spending your money.-)))

Thanks for the suggestions. As for the SARB, had a beauty and just sold it since presently there are far too few occasions for it. I've been looking at the Oris divers and I'm glad to see that a smaller wrist can wear them well. Squales look great too and have been high in popularity recently. Please keep the suggestions coming! As jswing said, have fun spending my money!

v76

I'd suggest a pre-owned vintage Zenith Defy diver ... it's funky and unique!

(borrowed image)

Or, perhaps this one ...
    Last edited by v76; June 28th, 2013 at 00:27.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Well, you already have a nice variety of watches. I know I'm really boring but, you could just stick the money back into your pocket until you find something that you know you really want. It would make you feel really smug and in a few months you'd be looking for thousand dollar watches.

Why does it have to be used? Do you buy all of your watches used? Just curious, I have both.

I would look for a pilot/military style. Maybe a Khaki. then again maybe something like a Tissot Tradition.

Tissot PRS516 Heritage is another one I'd buy, available brand new well within your budget. Love that watch, especially the blue dial.

Last edited by jswing; June 28th, 2013 at 14:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information