What is wrong with asking instead of googling?
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: What is wrong with asking instead of googling?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What is wrong with asking instead of googling?

When someone asks a question like, say, "what is the diameter of the Seiko 7002 movement?" or "where can I buy an XYZ?" often people respond with "Did you try google?" or "Use the search function!" But if you know the answer off the top of your head you could just as easily answer the question. Or...you could just ignore the thread. My sincere question is this- why should people have to work to get information? Is it the idea that "I put in the elbow grease and you should too. That's only fair"? or that "if everyone knows what I know, my knowledge is worth less"? Sure there are trade secrets- you don't want to share EVERYTHING. And no one is forcing you or even asking YOU specifically to do work you don't want to do or share secrets you don't want to share- you can just ignore the thread and move on. But to me the beauty of the internet is that you don't have to waste time searching, you can ask someone who knows. And forums are where you do that. Think of all the things you learned quickly from people generous enough to share their expertise and time on the internet. How much did you learn from someone telling you to "Use the search function!"?

So what is wrong with people asking for searchable answers and what is wrong with just giving them the answer if you know?
    cpl, slcbbrown, jsj11 and 12 others like this.

Agree.
    Rusty427 likes this.

Re: What is wrong with asking instead of googling?

As a rule -- in life, not just here -- it's poor form to ask for help when you could do something yourself just as easily. In the case of making a post here, it can actually take MORE effort to ask the question than to Google the answer.

It's one thing to ask for the knowledge and expertise of watch experts. That's totally fine. But when the answer is readily available and not interesting or useful to anyone but the person asking the question, then the post asking the question is basically spam.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't see anything wrong with asking a question. I don't understand the people that respond with "Google it" or "use the search function". If you are going to go through the trouble of responding with either of those comments, why not just give what info you know?

I for one always Google before I post, sometimes Google just doesn't come up with links that answer my question(s). For example, I just tried searching for vintage AP serial numbers, nothing came up that was useful. So I guess if I post a question from now on I have to add in "already tried google".
    slcbbrown, WatchObsession and HiPo like this.

I think sometimes people need a gentle reminder that there is a whole internet full of information and the information is quicker to find by typing 'diameter Seiko 7002' into google than creating a thread here for the same information.

If the answer isn't readily available or isn't easy to find unless you know the right keywords to search with then it's absolutely fine to ask for even the most basic of information.

I tend to find that with such threads, if I know the answer off the top of my head (lug width for a watch I have owned, for example) I'll answer (because it's often easier to answer than to suggest the OP Google it) but for something that should be easily findable but that I don't already know, I'll just move along and not choose to make an example of the original poster.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    As a rule -- in life, not just here -- it's poor form to ask for help when you could do something yourself just as easily. In the case of making a post here, it can actually take MORE effort to ask the question than to Google the answer.

It's one thing to ask for the knowledge and expertise of watch experts. That's totally fine. But when the answer is readily available and not interesting or useful to anyone but the person asking the question, then the post asking the question is basically spam.
    This times 10....It just shows laziness on the O.P.'s part.
    I also think it's rude.
    Nokie, Bosman, KCZ and 6 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

So much watch spec info is incorrect on the web in my experience, especially Amazon and eBay.

When I can, I try to help out if I have the watch in question. One advantage of having a few hundred affordables instead of a few ungodly expensive high end pieces.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; January 18th, 2015 at 00:09.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

But I would argue that the internet is not like normal life. In normal life, if someone asks you something you are generally obliged to answer- at least say something. But on the internet, if you don't want to answer, just ignore it. Also on the internet, you aren't just asking one person, you are asking potentially thousands of people, and not just any people, but watch EXPERTS (in this case) who may be able to answer off the top of their heads but ONLY if they WANT to. No one is forcing anyone to do anything except read a thread title.

I don't see anything wrong with asking a question. I don't understand the people that respond with "Google it" or "use the search function". If you are going to go through the trouble of responding with either of those comments, why not just give what info you know?
    Remember that this is a discussion forum, not a Q&A. If you can find the answer on your own, and the thread wouldn't be interesting to anyone but you, then that thread isn't contributing to the board in any way and is a waste of space.

And, more generally, when the answer is easily available online, this is what you sound like:
    "Hey, make me a sandwich."
    "Why don't you make it yourself?"
    "I don't want to."

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post

Agree completely.
    Jcp311 likes this.
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information