What was your first vintage watch? And how did you come about acquiring it?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What was your first vintage watch? And how did you come about acquiring it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post What was your first vintage watch? And how did you come about acquiring it?

Mine was a trial by fire on eBay vintage Grand Seiko. Good price, but running 15 seconds slow a day. Won't find out if I got a good deal until Seiko service looks at it. Felt good when I pulled the trigger. Not sure right now...

Re: What was your first vintage watch? And how did you come about acquiring it?

My first was a 70s Seiko that I bought for 30 bucks at a flea market a few years ago. Back then I wasn't interested in vintage pieces, the only reason I bought it was because the price was cheap and the watch was still in a relatively good condition. Since then it led me to research more about vintage watches and I have a few now but mostly Seiko (Bellmatic, 6139, and others that I think are fantastic value). I would love to own a vintage GS one day.

Btw I think 15 sec slow a day is acceptable for a vintage watch, my Universal Geneve Polerouter date gains 35 minutes in 3 days lol.

Banned

My Seiko 7006-7189. I've always had an interest in vintage watches. I've never followed through with the pursuit of finding one. My mother frequents antique shops. She told me one of the shops has the same Seiko that my grandfather bought for my father when he graduation college. The next time she went, she bought it, as it was only $50. It's really cool, and runs very accurately.

It seems Seiko's are the perfect "starter vintage watch". I've been browsing vintage Tudor's and Omega's and they too are very affordable.
    Last edited by EvoRich; July 29th, 2014 at 15:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll continue the Seiko theme. My first vintage was a 1969 Seiko 5 6119-7100 that my grandfather left for me when he passed. It's my current restoration project

Name:  14745016746_30d9d7484e_b.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  206.2 KB

Never bought one and probably won't until today's watches become vintage.
    The technology in these watches makes them easier to service than their forefathers, this means servicing costs won't be as high as if a watch maker had to rebuild a piece from scratch to go into your watch.
    Also, being on the larger side, all vintages watches are a no-go unless on a bund strap, which, I know, destroys the look of a lot of the watches I would have bought.
    Maybe one day I'll find that piece I just had to have and the disposable income at the time to acquire it.
    There's always room on top.

My Collection: JLC Reverso Squadra Hometime, Oris BC4 Retrograde Day, Mr Jones Watch The Last Laugh, Louis Erard 1931 Retrograde

Well, I got mine new,as a sales reward/award,(1970) it has turned vintage over the years....Does that count?
    thumos, jsw41 and Hoonnu like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

My Lucien Piccard and I became vintage together.
    jsw41, OhDark30, Hoonnu and 1 others like this.

Mine too was a Seiko 5, around 35 dollar so it was worth a try.

Painted the hand and dial on it for fun, learn a few basic watchmaking technique on it.

It ran fine until I tried to pull the balance wheel out for fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoonnu likes this.

Interesting to see how people get into it. I wanted vintage because it had history, was cheap and cool looking. Then got everything but the cheap part. :)
    OhDark30 likes this.
    Current: (In order of acquisition)

1. Rolex Submariner Green Dial & Bezel "Hulk"
    2. Grand Seiko 1st Gen 6146-8000 Gold Cap
    3. Nomos Zurich Weltzeit
    4. Cartier Must De Cartier Vermeil 925

Next?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information