What is your longest 'up-time' for an automatic/mechanical watch without resetting?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What is your longest 'up-time' for an automatic/mechanical watch without resetting?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is your longest 'up-time' for an automatic/mechanical watch without resetting?

I work in IT and one thing that computers do, especially Unix and Unix-like servers is keep track of how long it has been running, since the last reboot. It used to be a bit of a thing to brag about (or take note of) of how long a server has been running (reliably) without ever restarting it. For some servers this is multiple years.

I was wondering if anyone with one or more mechanical watches has one that has been running continuously for a long time WITHOUT having reset / corrected the time using the crown. (Letting it rest in a particular position to keep it on time is okay).

Of course this also depends on what sort of error someone is okay with.. Personally if it gets more than 30 seconds then I'm feeling tempted to set the time again, with 1 minute being the absolute limit.

Some watches of course are really very accurate, so does anyone have one that has been running for weeks or even months without having set the time again? Watch winders may help with this, as would having a limited number of watches in your rotation so there's one that never really comes to a stop.

I'm hitting one month with an Orient Ray (Currently at +12) and Seiko Cocktail Time (+21, though less variation per day on that one).

I also wonder if more accurate chronometer watches might keep clocking up the same +3 or +4 seconds every day no matter how you rest them, making them inevitably out of whack after a week or two. Whereas more pedestrian movements can be kept in line longer, by placing it in a certain position at night.

What's your record? Pictures appreciated, just to brighten things up. ;)
    Last edited by hantms; April 5th, 2015 at 07:18.

Re: What is your longest 'up-time' for an automatic/mechanical watch without resetting?

I've gone upto a month or so on the IWC aquatimer on and off a winder, in the end it was close to a minute fast or so. Not too bad, but I stopped winding it at that point as it was past my point of acceptability.
    hantms likes this.

Re: What is your longest 'up-time' for an automatic/mechanical watch without resetting?

My Hydroconquest, only adjust it every two months when I have to adjust the date, never more than a minute off, if that. Nothing special about this watch, probably just running a few seconds fast one day, a few seconds slow the next so, on average, it's always pretty much right on.
    hantms likes this.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I usually wear a watch for one week straight and then move on to the next, as I'm too lazy to rotate daily, and don't have a winder.

My Omega PO 2500 always seems to be running accurately, but recently I was out of town for 3 weeks and only took my PO with me, wore it every single day. When I checked the time when I got home I was absolutely shocked to see it was between +0.5-1 second total, so pretty much running +/- 0 spd, pretty much don't even need a quartz.
    hantms likes this.

Been wearing my SARB017 for over 2 months now...hasn't stopped yet.

Two and a half months, at least. I got my SKX009 at the beginning of December, and adjusted the time specifically to correct it after maybe three weeks.

After that, it stayed pretty close, and didn't need the date changed until the end of February.

HOWEVER… I traveled through at six time zone changes over that period. You could rightly say that I adjusted the time over a half-dozen times.

However again, the movement does not hack, so the seconds hand was running pretty much the whole time.

well, i fully wind my Aquis whenever it stops, and then keep wearing it daily without manually winding it again until it stops, and this way it's usually about a month, which means that on an average days wear it will wind itself about 22.5 hours worth over the course of the 24 hours, which is very frustrating, because it means that when it does die overnight, it will do so on average about 45 minutes before i wake up....
    U aware?

Omega Seamaster 2531, Oris Aquis, Deep Blue Daynight 65, Omega Date '78, Melbourne Watch Co. Portsea, Tissot V8, Casio Protrek

You might think I'm gumpy...

After having my 30 year old Datejust serviced, I decided to keep it running continuously without resetting. Starting on July 1st, changing nighttime rest position occasionally, it never varied more than 3 seconds, and when I finished my little experiment on October 1st. It was one second off.
    Last edited by dbakiva; April 5th, 2015 at 13:21.
    hantms likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by VabaX View Post
    well, i fully wind my Aquis whenever it stops, and then keep wearing it daily without manually winding it again until it stops, and this way it's usually about a month, which means that on an average days wear it will wind itself about 22.5 hours worth over the course of the 24 hours, which is very frustrating, because it means that when it does die overnight, it will do so on average about 45 minutes before i wake up....
    Huh? Either I'm dense or something is missing here. Bad watch, bad math, or bad logic?
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

30 seconds.
    My Steinhart O1B has been surprisingly accurate. I usually can go about 2 months before resetting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information