View Poll Results: Seiko Astron or Mechanical GMT

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • Seiko Astron 5x

4 25.00%
  • Mechanical GMT

12 75.00%
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What is your opinion on Seiko Astron vs Mechanical GMT?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: What is your opinion on Seiko Astron vs Mechanical GMT?

One thing I thought I would mention if looking at Astrons. They don’t seem to hold their value, and are a tough resell if you try and flip them. I definitely would be hesitant to pay anywhere near MSRP for one. I would probably shop around and probably go used where they seem to go for decent prices.
    +1
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    I currently travel with a Seiko SBQJ017 GMT--"true" quickset hour hand function, perpetual calendar, very accurate... and quartz.

If I were going mechanical and wanted that "true" gmt function, it would be an Alpina Startimer Pilot Heritage. Tried one on today, and damn... fits a lot better than I thought it would. Uh-oh...
    The SBQJ015/017/019 are the best looking 8F56 based watches. I'm still annoyed that I missed out on getting them before they were discontinued.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I just found this Citizen BJ7110-89E Promaster GMT, which looks pretty nice with a 43mm titanium case with sapphire crystal. It uses same B877 movement (as seen from the markings on the bottom of the dial) as the BJ7080-53E, which appears to be a travel GMT, with the quickset on the main hour hand, but is much larger than this new Promaster.

Upon inspection of the manual for the B877 calibre, it appears that the main hour hand can only be quickset in the clockwise direction, turning the crown in the counterclockwise direction quicksets the date. This is suboptimal for use as a travel GMT, since the quickset main hour hand should ideally be able to move both forwards and backwards in time, and the date should adjust accordingly.

https://www.citizenwatch-global.com/...pdf/b877/e.pdf
    cbob1912 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information