Whatever happened to Miyota's cal. 9015 ... ?

Thread: Whatever happened to Miyota's cal. 9015 ... ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    v76

Whatever happened to Miyota's cal. 9015 ... ?

There was a lot of fanfare about the movement being an "ETA killer", else an alternative to ETA movements for smaller watch companies and independents. I haven't heard of any new watches being equipped with this caliber. It has been well over a year since there's been some news about it ... updates anyone?
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: Whatever happened to Miyota's cal. 9015 ... ?

I read on one of the watch websites the movements are now delayed until mid-2013? I think there's a thread in the dive watch forum about one of the boutique makers who had to switch to another movement type because of the 9015 no-show.

P.S. here's the thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/miy...os-612352.html

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

v76

Thanks for the link ... I was just wondering why there was no news about it.
    Collection:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many of the micro/boutique brands are using it. Benarus Moray 3, Mil-diver, and Ramora use them, the Lum-Tec Combat series, Red Sea Holystone and Six Pounder, some Junkers models, and I am sure many more. Hexa was going to but switched to the Sii NE15. Why no market splash probably has to do with the delay in production that has occurred and with them initially being used in brands that make their runs in the hundreds or less. To be an ETA killer, they would need to penetrate into the large run/mass produced arena, which is much tougher to do.

Personally I think it could compete against the common grade ETA 2824-2. It has a slightly tighter spread (-10 to +30) compared to the ETA (-30 to +30). While the ETA is adjusted in two positions, the 9015 is measured for its accuracy in 4 and adjusted in one. All the other specs seem to be about the same. So if it proves to be reliable, it could cut into base ETA market. The other two grades of ETA outperform it though, so if you are a manufacturer and use the higher grade ETAs in some models, you might stick with ETA even in the first grade.

I think it is an excellent choice for micro brands (once the delay passes).
    Dagaz Modded Seiko SKX007 | Benarus Moray III | Magrette Moana Pacific Diver 2011 | Hexa K500 | Prometheus S80 | Seiko SNAD53

Boron ??? | | Gruen ??? | Timex ???

Greetings from Albuquerque!

It's also in the new Smiths Everest PRS-25

Time Factors Quality Watches On The Net Since 1996

v76

Wow, that Smiths looks real nice, and for a really good price as well! Thanks for the info.
    Collection:

v76

Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like a Smiths might be on its way to me soon

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    It's also in the new Smiths Everest PRS-25

Time Factors Quality Watches On The Net Since 1996
    Collection:

Well congrats on that, I look forward to your impressions and pics! It certainly looks like a fantastic watch for the money. Love that domed crystal. I would have snapped one up myself but felt it was just a bit big for me at 40mm with almost 50mm lug to lug. But I'm sure for most people it's probably ideal for a watch in that style.

My Deep Blue Depthmaster 3000M uses the 9015. It runs very smoothly... it has lost about 4-5 seconds in the week I've had it.

Last edited by OneMoreOnce; December 8th, 2011 at 22:46.
    "I don't wear a watch. I want my arms to weigh the same." - Harry Hill

v76

My maximums would be 38mm for a dress watch, 40-41mm for a general-purpose watch, and I might be able to stretch that to 43-44mm for a chronograph or diver.

The lug-to-lug seems close to my limit, but I think I'll be able to wear it.

I'd written to Eddie and he'd replied that there might be mail delays (due to Christmas) so he wouldn't be able to give me a delivery date, but that he'd send it out by Monday. I look forward to getting it!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Well congrats on that, I look forward to your impressions and pics! It certainly looks like a fantastic watch for the money. Love that domed crystal. I would have snapped one up myself but felt it was just a bit big for me at 40mm with almost 50mm lug to lug. But I'm sure for most people it's probably ideal for a watch in that style.
    Collection:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information