Whatever Happened to the Timezone Forums?
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Whatever Happened to the Timezone Forums?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    When I started collecting watches, the Timezone Forums was the place to be. Tons of activity. I came back recently after a long hiatus and found that place to be pretty dead and now Watchuseek seems to have taken over. Does anyone know what caused the tide to shift?

Re: Whatever Happened to the Timezone Forums?

Not sure if appropriate to discuss another forum here....
    But TZ is still around and doing well. That said WUS and TZ are very different forums.

WUS is designed around discussion and community. TZ is more of picture sharing. Discussiong is hard due to thread format.
    WUS caters to all watch enthusiasts from affordables and homages, to Rolex\omega\Seiko to PP\AP\Lange and up. TZ is heavily focused in luxury segment (posts of non-luxury watches are rare)

Ultimately that is the biggest difference and accounts for participation differential.... TZ caters to luxury watch owners. Of which there are way fewer. Where as on WUS - there may be way way way way more people who have everything from a $40 Casion to $90 Seiko5, to everything else up. Even here on WUS - F71 (affordables) is one of busiest forums, followed by Public. and F381 (high-end) has very little activity. Cause there are way more people who can afford affordables vs those who play w Journe and like
    Synequano, Bergarn, ThomG and 5 others like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

The problem for me and others is how they exist in a bubble. They censure any mention of any other watch sites. People ask questions about something and you have to reply via Private Message. But even then I have had PM's I sent with links only to have them show up with the links removed. You have to do things like, WUS dot com so their auto eliminate doesn't catch it.

Bob
    Perseus and canonken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Whatever Happened to the Timezone Forums?

Yes the moderators are very heavy handed. It stifles discussion and makes for an unwelcoming environment.

TZ probably turned off so many people they don't post there as much as say 10 years ago. To me it's dead and full of the nose in air types so not a big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Robmks View Post
    The problem for me and others is how they exist in a bubble. They censure any mention of any other watch sites. People ask questions about something and you have to reply via Private Message. But even then I have had PM's I sent with links only to have them show up with the links removed. You have to do things like, WUS dot com so their auto eliminate doesn't catch it.

Bob
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; February 2nd, 2018 at 07:28. Reason: Discussion of WUS moderation is not allowed

In the late 90s and early 2000s I was the moderator for the Omega forum. For a short time the Water Cooler too. We all chipped in moderating the Sales Corner. I believe in those days (and before hand in the mid 90s) it was a fun and active community. I had a couple of gatherings and went to a couple of others.

I have only recently returned to the watch collecting community. To me, it's not the same as it once was.

When Richard Paige (It's original owner) was involved, TZ really was the start of the online watch community. When Ashford purchased them things started to shift somewhat.

I have only posted a couple of times there a few years ago.

I still frequent their Sales Corner though.
    You're either qualified or not qualified

lvt

Maybe the TZ's admins and mods did their job so well that people are too scared to stay.
    Metlin and rfortson like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Please keep the disparaging posts about other forums to a minimum, or we’ll have to lock this one.
    soaking.fused and Streetboss like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Baka1969 View Post
    When Richard Paige (It's original owner) was involved, TZ really was the start of the online watch community. When Ashford purchased them things started to shift somewhat.
    Thanks! I feel like this is exactly the answer I was looking for!

Yeah, I haven't been there for a few years and then started visiting again a few weeks ago. It's just not the same as it once was. I personally enjoy WUS a lot more because of the wider range from inexpensive to very expensive. There just seems to be a bit more room here.

There's still a lot of good people there, just much quieter than previously.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Not sure if appropriate to discuss another forum here....

WUS caters to all watch enthusiasts from affordables and homages, to Rolex\omega\Seiko to PP\AP\Lange and up. TZ is heavily focused in luxury segment (posts of non-luxury watches are rare)
    I don't see it that way at all. I've lurked around TZ occasionally and there's good general discussion about Seiko and other moderately price watches like Sinn, Damasko and so on. One thing good is there are often good informative technical topics and most posters are down-to-earth and matter of fact, not a lot of trolling or nonsense type threads.
    ThomG and ljb187 like this.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information