What's with all the Bronze?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What's with all the Bronze?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's with all the Bronze?

I am relatively new to watch collecting but for the life of me I cannot see what the rage is all about in Bronze. It seems everyone is racing to get a bronze model to market, led by the micro brands. IMHO the bronze look is not at all appealing and then add patina, wow not in the least bit attractive to me. Maybe in some circles (salvage divers maybe) this is a good look but everywhere else??? Don't get me wrong, I am not judging those who have a bronze watch but would help me with this is a better to understand the appeal.

Questions:

- Is there some historical significance to a bronze watch?
    - Is this trend more fashion based or is there a spike in salvage diving profession <= just kidding?
    - Is there a technical reason that bronze makes for a better case material than SS when it comes to high corrosion environments (like salt water)?

Sorry for my ignorance but maybe this would appeal to me more if I know what was driving this.

Re: What's with all the Bronze?

Well, in general, we buy watches for aesthetic purposes, so looks is a big thing. And when it comes to aesthetics, it's normally dictated by trends and fads (like the whole wall clock on your wrist thing). When it comes to fads, there's this recent trend when it comes to ageing. These days, a lot of things come pre "aged" like jeans, guitars, motorcycles (covered in rust or "patina"), vintage looking this and that. So, I guess it was bound to transfer to watches.

Watches in general keep their age and appearance quite well, the steel they use can withstand anything and a simple buff job makes old watches look new. The thing with Bronze is that, it ages and reacts to the wearer differently so ageing is never the same. Makes it seem vintage and personalized - and I think that's it's main allure and to begin with, the color of bronze isn't very common - which adds to all the hoopla.

At the very extreme, you have Romain Jerome watches that use actual pieces from the Titanic wreck for their watches and these are rusted like crazy to begin with and will continue to do so. I think they actually come with some sort of vacuum glass display case to stop the rust from getting worse. You can pay over a hundred grand for these.
    Last edited by lorsban; February 17th, 2012 at 10:28.
    Shepperdw likes this.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Of all the features that attract subsets of watch buyers why is the use of bronze as a finish so different? As with stainless steel, gold, aluminum and other materials some of us enjoy thi finish while others do not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors. People have different taste and style.
    Several micros have released bronze watches within the past year, but PAM and Anonimo, amongst others, have offered bronzos for a few years.

Sent via messenger pigeon.
    mikeynd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post

At the very extreme, you have Romain Jerome watches that use actual pieces from the Titanic wreck for their watches and these are rusted like crazy to begin with and will continue to do so. I think they actually come with some sort of vacuum glass display case to stop the rust from getting worse. You can pay over a hundred grand for these.
    Name:  T.OXY3_.11BB.00_zoom11.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  88.7 KB

I decided to check that watch out. Seems like a very novel watch, but the styling doesn't do it for me. I also can't find the appeal in owning a piece of rusted steel from a sunken ship that was once considered practically unsinkable. It just feels like paying a ton of money for bad mojo on the wrist.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by fastward

Sent via messenger pigeon.

Sent via mental telepathy.
    fastward likes this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Another thread you might find interesting:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/why-...es-636219.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Name:  T.OXY3_.11BB.00_zoom11.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  88.7 KB

I decided to check that watch out. Seems like a very novel watch, but the styling doesn't do it for me. I also can't find the appeal in owning a piece of rusted steel from a sunken ship that was once considered practically unsinkable. It just feels like paying a ton of money for bad mojo on the wrist.
    Again, I think its about having something one of a kind but I agree, that's just crazy money for what's essentially rusted scrap metal. Unless the wreck has some special meaning for the wearer that is.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

I'm not sure. I think C3PO already has a watch.

JTB488, Pakubear and Illyria like this.

Bronze watches seem hot right now. Some people like them some people don't. I think it makes a good addition to the collection for variety.
    Regards,

Richard

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information