What's with all these inexpensive "Porche Design" wristwatches?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By schaumi
  • 2 Post By dan4138
  • 1 Post By MediumRB

Thread: What's with all these inexpensive "Porche Design" wristwatches?

heb

What's with all these inexpensive "Porche Design" wristwatches?

I though PD watches were somewhat the cat's meow. What am I missing?

heb

Re: What's with all these inexpensive "Porche Design" wristwatches?

It's just the grey market doing its thing.
    Cheers,
    Greg

A lot of NOS, similar to Eterna, one of the companies that manufactured watches for Porsche Design.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First its Porsche Design..Whats with the super cheap watches? They were quite expensive when I bought mine now heck you can buy the same watch on Touch of Modern for as low as $349.00!!!....turboharm

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

That's simply how the grey market works with any brand. Retailers need to turn over their old stock for the cash flow so they can uphold their purchase commitments to the manufacturers. To do this, they blow off their old watches to grey market resellers, who then price them for a quick sale.

Since most of the grey market is in the U.S., watches that have a low profile and little or no distribution in the U.S. (like Eterna and Porsche Design) and therefore have low demand in that market, get priced at rock bottom prices on the grey market. In other parts of the world, where the profile and demand is higher, you will see pricing that is more typical (i.e. higher).
    Last edited by BrentYYC; March 23rd, 2016 at 19:33.

If the watches you are seeing are missing an "S" in the name, I would question their authenticity.
    heb, BrentYYC and monza06 like this.

PD severed its ties with Eterna a year ago and just announced a new collection at Baselworld last week: Bauhaus Comes to Basel: The Porsche Design 1919 Eternity Collection › WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine.

I think that they may be trying to flush a lot of inventory through the grey market to clear the shelves as these new watches arrive in stores this spring.

I kind of like the new models, its as if Panerai, Nomos, and Porsche Design had a three way that resulted in a lovechild-the 1919 collection.

Porsche Design is primarily a high-end lifestyle/fashion brand, but with unique horological and automotive credentials. The founder of PD was Ferdy Porsche's son, and himself designed the iconic Porsche 911 car. The brand has forty years of design excellence in a number of categories. Their manufacturing partners have been first rate (IWC, and more recently Eterna). And they have had real horological milestones: the first all black watch (dial, case, and bracelet), in 1972. In 1978, working with IWC, they introduced the Titan Chronograph, the first mass production all titanium watch. In 1982 they introduced the titanium Ocean 2000 diver, with a then unprecedented 2000 m depth rating, and distinctive integrated bracelet. The Bundeswehr subsequently used the Ocean 2000 for military divers.

For a small design house they have been a remarkable innovative force in the watch industry, and may be as responsible as anyone for the widespread adoption of titanium.

Their best watches, IMO, tend to be all titanium reworkings of their 70s and 80s chronos, which are designs that hold up very well over forty years to my eyes.

So: there may be a short term uptick of PD watches through grey market channels, but a lot of those watches have a distinguished brand pedigree and design chops that may make them worth a look.
    Paulo 8135 and kleinbus like this.

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by dan4138 View Post
    PD severed its ties with Eterna a year ago and just announced a new collection at Baselworld last week: Bauhaus Comes to Basel: The Porsche Design 1919 Eternity Collection › WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine.

I think that they may be trying to flush a lot of inventory through the grey market to clear the shelves as these new watches arrive in stores this spring.

I kind of like the new models, its as if Panerai, Nomos, and Porsche Design had a three way that resulted in a lovechild-the 1919 collection.

Porsche Design is primarily a high-end lifestyle/fashion brand, but with unique horological and automotive credentials. The founder of PD was Ferdy Porsche's son, and himself designed the iconic Porsche 911 car. The brand has forty years of design excellence in a number of categories. Their manufacturing partners have been first rate (IWC, and more recently Eterna). And they have had real horological milestones: the first all black watch (dial, case, and bracelet), in 1972. In 1978, working with IWC, they introduced the Titan Chronograph, the first mass production all titanium watch. In 1982 they introduced the titanium Ocean 2000 diver, with a then unprecedented 2000 m depth rating, and distinctive integrated bracelet. The Bundeswehr subsequently used the Ocean 2000 for military divers.

For a small design house they have been a remarkable innovative force in the watch industry, and may be as responsible as anyone for the widespread adoption of titanium.

Their best watches, IMO, tend to be all titanium reworkings of their 70s and 80s chronos, which are designs that hold up very well over forty years to my eyes.

So: there may be a short term uptick of PD watches through grey market channels, but a lot of those watches have a distinguished brand pedigree and design chops that may make them worth a look.
    Cheers for that, never imagined they had some real history there.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

I think the PD watches when introduced were waaaaaay overpriced for the market. So they sat around for a long time in retailers displays or back rooms. Then when PD went from working with IWC to Eterna, the IWC ones became collectible. Then when PD split from Eterna, the leftovers in those backrooms went to grey market dealers and can be found for pretty good prices (the big diver has been as low as $1500, usually around $2500, retail was like $7k!).
    I like the designs and the IWC partnered PD Ocean 2000 is quite a sharp watch:
    Attachment 7557506
    dan4138 likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

I agree with you on prior PD pricing being too high, but they were pricing as a luxury brand, rather than as a watch brand. They do have a distinct design approach, distinguished track record, and great name, but are using off the shelf movements like the Valjoux 7750. If they wanted to be competitive, within the watch industry, pricing themselves a bit above Sinn would make sense to me. Sinn is another German brand with a distinct design approach, good track record, which also uses off the shelf movements. Obviously the Porsche Design brand name is more potent than Sinn's, outside of WIS circles, and should command a premium. If they were priced at $2500-5000, as opposed to their prior list prices of roughly $4000-$6500, I think they could get a closer look from more watch enthusiasts versus the situation today.

Thread Information