What's The Best Watch For The Buck.

Thread: What's The Best Watch For The Buck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the best watch for the buck?

Hello All,

I would like to say thanks for all your reviews.... they have been a great help to me

I would like to buy a nice watch that would last me a long time.(with proper upkeep)

I know 500 or 600 dollars doesn't seem like much but that is what I'm able to spend.

Since I don't have a lot of money to through away on junk :oops: I'm asking this question.

What is the best watch you're able to purchase in the 5 to 6 hunderd dollar price range?

Thank Again

K
    Last edited by GuitSteel; March 20th, 2008 at 08:45.

Re: What's The Best Watch For The Buck.

Any particular style?...If you like divers I recomend the Marathons. Great watches for the $$$ and you can stay under $600 easy
    Hondo

Watches are my past "time"

Seiko?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

previous posts made good suggestions. here's another suggestion.

hamilton watches...american made with swiss movements. tremendous value.

Anyone of these can be had for $200.00US or less brand new, plus many more Seikos or other brands. Your biggest issue will be deciding on the one you want, because there are so many choices. Good luck

Little help. What size watch >40mm or less than 40mm. Diver, dress, dress-diver, chrono, exhibition caseback, sapphire or is mineral or hardlex okay, quartz or auto, bracelet or strap, maybe you could narrow it down to a few that you really like. Seiko sumo, marathon sar, orient star, Stowa antea, tissot le locle, seiko spirit, marathon tsar, orient mako, poljot strela, hamilton jazzmaster or khaki, triton, archimede, aristo, plus others I am forgetting. Do a search function on this forum if you are not familiar with some of these.
    autos: Hamilton navy pioneer(sold), stowa partitio, precista prs-22, stowa airman(sold), stowa antea 365, marathon sar(sold), vostok amphibian(sold), black mako(sold), seiko 5 military, sinn 556a

quartz: maurice lacroix, swiss army field, wenger swiss military 2912x, marathon tsar, 2 mudmen, gulfman, breitling colt

hand wind: 1963 seagull chrono(sold), stowa partitio, helbros

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Little help. What size watch >40mm or less than 40mm. Diver, dress, dress-diver, chrono, exhibition caseback, sapphire or is mineral or hardlex okay, quartz or auto, bracelet or strap, maybe you could narrow it down to a few that you really like. Seiko sumo, marathon sar, orient star, Stowa antea, tissot le locle, seiko spirit, marathon tsar, orient mako, poljot strela, hamilton jazzmaster or khaki, triton, archimede, aristo, plus others I am forgetting. Do a search function on this forum if you are not familiar with some of these.
    I personally like >40mm. 42mm and up to be specific. Big watches are just more stylish to me (and many [most?] others). Straps are more dressy, bracelets more sporty, although bracelets seem to fit in just about any time. Best bet is to buy it with a bracelet, ad then get a strap later on if you feel so inclined. You definitely want a sapphire crystal if its available. Auto is usually reserved for the more luxurious watches, so id go that route, although some people here (generally those with cheaper watches) will curse auto watches over quartz. I would stick with round faces as well.

If brand image is important to you, like it is to me, you can eliminate many of those names off of your list. They may be great watches, but most people have never heard of them. if you just want a quality piece, you have a million options.

Hey, for 5-600 there are a lot of super nice watches out there. I also like the seiko's valvestem posted above, and I just ordered the OM. Doug's list is great, but only the tip of the iceberg (is the jazzmaster really <6 g's?). I've bought and traded a couple of Magico's and an Invicta, which were great deals (see pics below) GL with the search!

traded that last one for:

Luminox are also kinda cool.

BTW, these watches are all under $200, and some can be had under $100! Not sure I'm supposed to mention vendors, but there are lot's of places on the net to check them out.
    Last edited by srmdalt; March 18th, 2008 at 03:27.
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

[quote=tj5515;874391]I personally like >40mm. 42mm and up to be specific. Big watches are just more stylish to me (and many [most?] others).

The original post was not specific on size. Recommending a 42mm watch to a guy that might have a 6" wrist would not be helpful

Straps are more dressy, bracelets more sporty, although bracelets seem to fit in just about any time. Best bet is to buy it with a bracelet, ad then get a strap later on if you feel so inclined.

I agree, unless the original poster does not find bracelet comfortable.

You definitely want a sapphire crystal if its available. Auto is usually reserved for the more luxurious watches, so id go that route, although some people here (generally those with cheaper watches) will curse auto watches over quartz.

There is a high end quartz forum that would disagree with this. A lot of people on this forum own both for different reasons.

If brand image is important to you, like it is to me, you can eliminate many of those names off of your list. They may be great watches, but most people have never heard of them. if you just want a quality piece, you have a million options.

What???
    Last edited by Doug; March 18th, 2008 at 03:29.
    autos: Hamilton navy pioneer(sold), stowa partitio, precista prs-22, stowa airman(sold), stowa antea 365, marathon sar(sold), vostok amphibian(sold), black mako(sold), seiko 5 military, sinn 556a

quartz: maurice lacroix, swiss army field, wenger swiss military 2912x, marathon tsar, 2 mudmen, gulfman, breitling colt

hand wind: 1963 seagull chrono(sold), stowa partitio, helbros

I sound like a broken record when I say 'Seiko' whenever there is a poll/thread like this, but I also suspect that when someone like myself discovers this forum and has fire in his belly, and enthusiasm for something better, he probably already has been exposed to Seikos and is looking for something new, probably mechanical, and a true value in quality....yes ?

So I say to you, ANYTHING STOWA ...Tom

Steinhart Ocean 44
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Damasko DC66
    Krieger Afficionado Chronograph
    Ball Fireman Ionosphere
    Stowa Marine Automatic
    Steinhart Ocean GMT Pepsi
    Steinhart Ocean I
    Boschett Cave Dweller II
    Debaufre Nav-B 44mm Unitas Hand Wind
    Zeno Magellano