What's the best way to charge lume?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's the best way to charge lume?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What's the best way to charge lume?

Well I guess the title says it all but I work a lot at night and was curious as to the best way to charge the lume on my watches. I've tried zapping them with my led Streamlight, which works for a while, but it doesn't last more than about 20 mins at the most.

Do I just have crappy lume on my watches or is there a better way to charge it than putting direct, bright light on it?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by maxpowerman; November 29th, 2010 at 05:09.
    Breitling Galactic Chronograph
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289

Re: What's the best way to charge lume?

Try a UV flashlight. They work really well.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned

Afaik, direct sun light is best. Followed by short wave light as in UV lamps (normal black light bulbs or LEDs), followed by fluorescent light, with incandescent light at the bottom.

I also think that fully charged is fully charged. So from there on it can only go downwards. The difference is in how fast you get the full charge not in how long it lasts.

How long it lasts, given that you started with a full charge, will depend on the luminous material, the binder used, and how much is used. Indirectly also on the background color because that will make it seem brighter, too.

From pics and charts I've seen the greenish Superluminova C3 is the strongest. Apparently Seiko's Lumibright is the same thing as C3. I'd like to know what Citizen uses because frankly, I find Citizen jade blue-green lume to be even stronger than Seiko's. And longer lasting, too.

I don't know what Rolex's new lume is made of. It's blueish, too.

If you want lume that really does last all night long, you need to use tritium gas tubes or tritium paint (haven't seen that in modern watches lately).

It's really also a question of ambient light and of how your eyes are adjusted. If it's totally dark I can even see the very faint tritium lume of a 20 year old Rolex. But in the movie theater it's practically useless.

What also works very well are very highly polished silver hands on a matt black background especially if the hands have an edge where the light can reflect. If there is the slightest amount of light left, you can read the time.
    Abrazagar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

+1 for T-tubes.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Yeah, if you absolutely need lume to last all night, I'd find a cheap Luminox or Traser to wear at night.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned

Charge lume with Pfizer's little blue pill. Will last all night and be slightly blue! Best used on dive watches.

I used to use a UV-flashlight, but I found out that this beast (> half a meter long) works even better:

Quote Originally Posted by nocnoc View Post
    Afaik, direct sun light is best. Followed by short wave light as in UV lamps (normal black light bulbs or LEDs), followed by fluorescent light, with incandescent light at the bottom.

I also think that fully charged is fully charged. So from there on it can only go downwards. The difference is in how fast you get the full charge not in how long it lasts.

How long it lasts, given that you started with a full charge, will depend on the luminous material, the binder used, and how much is used. Indirectly also on the background color because that will make it seem brighter, too.

From pics and charts I've seen the greenish Superluminova C3 is the strongest. Apparently Seiko's Lumibright is the same thing as C3. I'd like to know what Citizen uses because frankly, I find Citizen jade blue-green lume to be even stronger than Seiko's. And longer lasting, too.

I don't know what Rolex's new lume is made of. It's blueish, too.

If you want lume that really does last all night long, you need to use tritium gas tubes or tritium paint (haven't seen that in modern watches lately).

It's really also a question of ambient light and of how your eyes are adjusted. If it's totally dark I can even see the very faint tritium lume of a 20 year old Rolex. But in the movie theater it's practically useless.

What also works very well are very highly polished silver hands on a matt black background especially if the hands have an edge where the light can reflect. If there is the slightest amount of light left, you can read the time.
    NocNoc,

Thanks so much for your outstanding response. I learned a lot from your post. I figured tritium tubes was going to be my best bet but I didn't know how to best utilize what I already have. I have a Citizen Aquaracer that I wear as my beater and the lume (green), when fully charged, is crazy bright but it doesn't last as long as I would like it to. I'm going to head to Walmart to try to find a UV flashlight just for the heck of it.

Thanks again.
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289

Quote Originally Posted by nocnoc View Post
    charge lume with pfizer's little blue pill. Will last all night and be slightly blue! best used on dive watches.
    lol!
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289

Most of the new boutique brands with C3 Superluminova properly applied or any Seiko wacthes would last all night (6-8 hours) after a charge of about 30 sec with LED light.
    ~ Daniel ~

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information