What's the deal with loose bracelets???
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What's the deal with loose bracelets???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's the deal with loose bracelets???

I travel a lot for work, so I get to sit up in 1st usually, which means I get to look at everyone's wrists as the board the plane. Lately I've discovered that I have yet another neurosis:

I can't stand it when guys are wearing watches with several too many links in the bracelet!!

I saw one yesterday on a guy, and I found myself wondering: "Could I get three or four fingers between that bracelet and his wrist??"

So my question(s) for you: Is it just me? Do you happen to like a super-loose bracelet? Do they drive you crazy? Can you recommend medication for me?

P.S. Loose bracelets do not bother me at all on women. LOL!
    Crater, fastfras and scott59 like this.

Re: What's the deal with loose bracelets???

Bought off internet and don't now how to adjust them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do like to have some "wiggle room" between my bracelet and wrist (a pinky finger's worth) when I do wear a bracelet...allowing for natural flexing.
    I have seen the "sloppy bracelet" look; especially egregious on "oversize case" units... If you're gonna wear a 50mm watch...you'd think you'd wanna lag that beast down to keep from hurting anybody!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe they couldn't wait to wear them before they sized the bracelet or most likely brought to a run of the mill jeweler. My worry is that its a good way to scratch up that new watch as the case rolls around your wrist and smacks the table or having a dangling bracelet.
    I wear my bracelets a tiny bit loose because my weight fluctuates so easily due to health issues but you certainly can't fit a finger between the bracelet and my skin. Maybe the height of 2 or 3 pennies laying flat.
    Last edited by CuriousBob; July 18th, 2015 at 17:48.

My dad wears his like that. I offered to size it but he says he likes it that way. I suppose it's just like wearing a bracelet.
    Crater likes this.

They're trying to get the most value for money spent. If you buy a $1000 watch and remove a few links, now you are only wearing a $950 watch. It's bad business to pay for all the links, but then remove them to be hidden in a drawer and left unused. Not cool, everyone's gotta see that thing flapping around your hand like a hula hoop!!

The thought that usually goes through my mind is that they don't want to admit to themselves that they actually have skinny wrists.
    asadtiger likes this.
    Patek Philippe 5711/1A, white dial;
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe steel on sail cloth;
    IWC Portofino Automatic, black dial;
    Seiko A159 5009G (originally my father's, from 1978);
    Apple Watch 4
    Casio G Shock GW 5610NV-2JF

Ard

I like them tight enough that the watch case will not rotate around my wrist but loose enough so that they do not constrict my wrist. Many people perhaps do not understand that properly sizing them can be done without much trouble. However many folks are not inclined to tinker with a watch bracelet. You might want to remember that we here are watch people, in the general population most are just people.

Honestly though, how someone wears a watch has not been something I find myself concerned with at all. If you want to wonder about something how bout the people riding bicycles that don't have the seat & handlebars adjusted for a proper leg stroke? That actually has an affect on the act od peddling the bike whereas how a watch is worn doesn't affect the watch.
    Last edited by Ard; July 18th, 2015 at 19:10. Reason: A second thought
    liwang22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousBob View Post
    Maybe they couldn't wait to wear them before they sized the bracelet or most likely brought to a run of the mill jeweler. My worry is that its a good way to scratch up that new watch as the case rolls around your wrist and smacks the table or having a dangling bracelet.
    I wear my bracelets a tiny bit loose because my weight fluctuates so easily due to health issues but you certainly can't fit a finger between the bracelet and my skin. Maybe the height of 2 or 3 pennies laying flat.
    Same, this is how I prefer to wear mine too. I've tried them loose like that and it really interferes with your ability to flex your wrist. I couldn't stand it. I think it's because they haven't had time to go get it adjusted, they're borrowing the watch or they just like it that way. I'd be really surprised to see a luxury watch worn that way as all the good stores won't let you leave without it being properly fitted.

In a land where you don't apologize for quartz… : )

I too notice what the OP refers to. I just always assume they like wearing it like a bracelet. Some look like they would almost fall off it the wearer narrowed his hand (as if placing all the fingertips together). I don't think they have wrist size envy or just haven't got it sized-I've seen some wear all their watches like this for years.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information