What's the deal? Why the prejudice against diamonds?
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: What's the deal? Why the prejudice against diamonds?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What's the deal? Why the prejudice against diamonds?

I've been trying to understand why so many people on this forum are prejudiced against diamonds. Even watches with elegant designs, as soon as there are diamonds it gets less respect. Is it a baby boomer thing? I don't get it
    Current Collection

Patek 5110g
    Cartier Calibre W7100009
    PAM 111
    Rolex Milgauss GV
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Longines Evidenza Chronograph
    GShock

Re: What's the deal? Why the prejudice against diamonds?

I'll freely admit that I like diamonds on a watch if they're done the right way. For instance, none of that gaudy, covered in gems sort of look. I don't mind diamonds as hour markers if the end product is elegant and done with restraint.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Prejudiced ? Who ? Those not liking bling watches and saying they do not like them or you who thinks these members have prejudices against diamonds. I do like diamonds when worn by my wife, do not like them on a watch since watches should feature watchmaking in the first place. But like/dislike does not necessarily mean to have prejudices. It is a fine line between watchmaking and jewellery.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I'm just a 'less is more' kind of guy, and I find that diamonds are really a fairly unnecessary aesthetic choice. If other people disagree, that find, I certainly wouldn't think any less of a watch with diamonds on it, or a person who wore a watch with diamonds on it.
    twiceaday likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Go have a look in your local mall department store and pay attention to the percentage of overpriced fashion watches that have diamonds vs those that don't. Then conduct the same excitement with fine Swiss/Japanese/German watches. You'll quickly notice that diamonds usually are the sign of a cheaply made fashion watch.

-Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3; please excuse any spelling/grammatical errors.
    Omega, Steinhart, Seiko, Glycine, Tissot, Tag Heuer, Citizen, and a few others...

I think prejudice is the wrong word. I generally don't like diamonds on a watch because I don't want a watch to look to 'blingy'. It's not a prejudice though.

Tell me a watch has diamonds on it - I will reserve judgment until I see it.
    Show me a watch that has diamonds on it - I will assess whether I like it or not based on just how much it sparkles (less is more)

That's not prejudice, just judging something on how it looks against my preferred taste.

I wouldn't judge anyone who wore a watch with diamonds. Everyone has their own unique tastes, and I'm glad we're not all the same.
    movet22, ShaggyDog and Metlin like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Few and far between are nicely done on a gentleman's watch. The only one that comes to mind is Donut's Patek, which he posted in a similarly titled thread. That's one beautiful watch.
    movet22 and lmcgbaj like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

No, not a baby boomer thing. I'm 25 and I am anti watch bling. I'll withhold from generalizing those of whom I think this is a 'thing.'

In my opinion, if a watch needs diamonds, it's not doing something right.

And if you must garnish a watch with diamonds, I imagine it would be difficult to control the cut, clarity, color, et cetera of the stones. At that point your just adding diamonds for diamonds sake- and that I'll never understand.

Not to mention the over encrusting that seems to be in vougue is rather garish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by movet22; October 31st, 2013 at 19:33.
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

Think of it this way: Would you wear anything else with diamonds in it? If yes, then good for you. Shouldn't be bothered by people who don't like it.

Personally i think they look better on women like anything else with diamonds in em. To me the only place it could look ok is the markers. Maybe if they came up with a different cut/shape to use as markers I'd possibly be ok with it but I doubt it.

Not prejudice, its just that not many people like it on their watches.

"Why the prejudice against diamonds"

Diamonds....KILLED MY FAMILY!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information