WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What's the deal? Why the prejudice against diamonds?

10K views 81 replies 67 participants last post by  brokensentences 
#1 ·
I've been trying to understand why so many people on this forum are prejudiced against diamonds. Even watches with elegant designs, as soon as there are diamonds it gets less respect. Is it a baby boomer thing? I don't get it

#3 ·
Prejudiced ? Who ? Those not liking bling watches and saying they do not like them or you who thinks these members have prejudices against diamonds. I do like diamonds when worn by my wife, do not like them on a watch since watches should feature watchmaking in the first place. But like/dislike does not necessarily mean to have prejudices. It is a fine line between watchmaking and jewellery.

#4 ·
I'm just a 'less is more' kind of guy, and I find that diamonds are really a fairly unnecessary aesthetic choice. If other people disagree, that find, I certainly wouldn't think any less of a watch with diamonds on it, or a person who wore a watch with diamonds on it.

Reactions: twiceaday
#5 ·
Go have a look in your local mall department store and pay attention to the percentage of overpriced fashion watches that have diamonds vs those that don't. Then conduct the same excitement with fine Swiss/Japanese/German watches. You'll quickly notice that diamonds usually are the sign of a cheaply made fashion watch.

-Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3; please excuse any spelling/grammatical errors.

#6 ·
I think prejudice is the wrong word. I generally don't like diamonds on a watch because I don't want a watch to look to 'blingy'. It's not a prejudice though.

Tell me a watch has diamonds on it - I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Show me a watch that has diamonds on it - I will assess whether I like it or not based on just how much it sparkles (less is more)

That's not prejudice, just judging something on how it looks against my preferred taste.

I wouldn't judge anyone who wore a watch with diamonds. Everyone has their own unique tastes, and I'm glad we're not all the same.

#7 ·
Few and far between are nicely done on a gentleman's watch. The only one that comes to mind is Donut's Patek, which he posted in a similarly titled thread. That's one beautiful watch.

Reactions: lmcgbaj and movet22
#8 · (Edited)
No, not a baby boomer thing. I'm 25 and I am anti watch bling. I'll withhold from generalizing those of whom I think this is a 'thing.'

In my opinion, if a watch needs diamonds, it's not doing something right.

And if you must garnish a watch with diamonds, I imagine it would be difficult to control the cut, clarity, color, et cetera of the stones. At that point your just adding diamonds for diamonds sake- and that I'll never understand.

Not to mention the over encrusting that seems to be in vougue is rather garish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Think of it this way: Would you wear anything else with diamonds in it? If yes, then good for you. Shouldn't be bothered by people who don't like it.

Personally i think they look better on women like anything else with diamonds in em. To me the only place it could look ok is the markers. Maybe if they came up with a different cut/shape to use as markers I'd possibly be ok with it but I doubt it.

Not prejudice, its just that not many people like it on their watches.

#13 · (Edited)
I wrote the word prejudice as an exaggeration. Of course people have the right to like or dislike whatever they choose, but it seems like diamonds do get a lot of hate here. According to mike, diamonds belong on women's jewelry and not men's watches. :-d Many times it seems that diamonds automatically are pre judged to be gaudy, without considering the merits of the overall design. I'm not pointing fingers here, just commenting on the vibe.

I agree that fashion watches can be very gaudy with too much diamonds. However these watches are imitating haute jewelry from expensive brands, for example cartier or piaget.

#15 ·
I am not prejudiced, some of my best friends are diamonds... For me it is simple, the fashion influences in my life taught me that men do not wear diamonds. Those same influences limit men's jewelry considerably. A watch, a wedding ring and possibly a college ring IF it is one from one of the military academies or a school where the industry and/or locality might make it useful for "ring knocking", the latter being the only jewelry a man can wear with a visible stone if it is the normal convention for the university's ring. To each their own, fashion is just that, fashion. However, despite the fact I would like to be without prejudice in anything including men's fashion the reality is I do judge a man's fashion sense by the jewelry he wears, the key is his fashion sense not the man himself. On the same note it would be foolish of me to say I wouldn't have a preconceived notion of him as a person based on his fashion sensibilities at least until I got to know him.

#18 · (Edited)
I don't think it's a Baby Boomer thing...I think diamonds in your mouth, extremely tacky....Men wearing diamond hoop earrings...Enough said.
Five carat diamond rings and diamond watches(on Men).....Too gaudy......There is 'Taste' and there is "Tasteless"......Lest ye be judged.....b-)
PS
WE could be against diamonds for the unethical treat of the miners.......Yeah, That's it.

Reactions: movet22
#19 · (Edited)
Like others have said, the stereotypical diamond watch is more about showing off than telling time or making a more understated statement. Showing off isn't necessarily a bad thing, but most people here aren't trying to accomplish that in such a forthright manner. Secondly, this is a male dominated forum and since any application of diamonds tends to push watches further down the jewelery spectrum it's not something WUS members typically shoot for. To some extent, two-tone and gold (yellow especially) watches suffer from the same problems. I feel the same way for the most part, but having said that, if I had the extra cash and and empty spot in the watch box, it might be fun to own something like this:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#22 ·
I'm not interested in drawing attention to myself or my watch. I once wore a watch with diamonds, and I got a lot of compliments. Frankly, I'd rather have an under-the-radar watch that only I would likely appreciate.

Sent via Shetland Pony.

#23 ·
I guess I'll be the first to admit a prejudice. Men should not wear diamonds and go very easy on the gold. Gold should only be reserved for the most elegant, simple dress watches and then only with extreme care and moderation. Watch bling on men disgusts me.
(for reference, I'm 30, so hardly a baby boomer)

Reactions: Fi33pop
#24 ·
I simply hate them on watches or any man jewelry. I like diamonds, on women. Yep, I hate diamonds on my timepieces and even one is too much for me, and it's my right, just like you have the right to like them. No big deal, sir. Different strokes for different folks.

#26 ·
Diamonds are a girls best friend.... I am not a girl.

#27 ·
Yes that is my wrist and yes those are real.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.