What's the fascination with G-Shock all about?

Thread: What's the fascination with G-Shock all about?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What's the fascination with G-Shock all about?

I'm new to this site and to the forums. I have to admit, that the most shocking thing that I discovered about watches when I got to this forum is the cult following and fascination with G-Shock.

Can someone enlighten me please? What is it about the G-Shock that makes them so cool? What is the pleasure of collecting these and accumulating up to 20-30 different color/model G-Shocks?

Not trying to bust anyone's chops here...just trying to understand and learn what it's all about.

Thanks!

Banned

Re: What's the fascination with G-Shock all about?

I was the same as you. I only cared about mechanicals, couldn't be bothered with quartz, especially digital. But I noticed this fanatical following, their own sub-forum, the seemingly endless styles and features.

Recently I started turning pro-quartz (still love mechs), and I wanted a watch with gadgets and tech features. I also started riding my bike again and going to a gym, so I wanted a genuine tough tool watch, not some pricey delicate wannabe tool diver with a ridiculous depth rating and 240g of steel and 5mm crystal that will still fail if it takes a knock, and that will get scratched, and I would be upset if it got scratched.

So I asked around, several people recommended a G. I took a look at one at an AD, tried one on, and all of a sudden I understood the love. So go try one on. If it doesn't make you smile then it's not for you, no loss. But if you are a G-man, you will understand fully and instantly what it's all about.

I'm wearing my G as I type this. Only two weeks old, I haven't worn another watch since I put it on. Even to go to an art exhibition! I wore it in the pool yesterday, and in the dry sauna after, and then in the shower after gym, on the bike to work this morning, and in the shower at work. There is no other watch in my collection I would even think about wearing while doing all of that. It is a true tool watch.

I love this little blue tough guy, simple as that.
    Last edited by jason_recliner; March 23rd, 2009 at 07:31.

There are so many different ones out there. Some rare, some just look cool, and some have just a crazy amount of features. They usually dont cost very much so you can buy a bunch of them without ending up in the poor house. Plus, theyre nearly indestructible and about as close to a "does it all" watch as there is out there.

I think you can kind of compare them to baseball card collecting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Alright. I signed up in that give-away that's going on now.
    Let's see if I win one.

May actually be a perfect watch to wear when riding my bike.

Not to put the brakes on your enthusiasm, but if this is the first time you'll be acquiring a G-Shock, I suggest you get one with a standard LCD display first. Or you can look for a negative display G-Shock at the mall and try it out for size, just to see if you can live with the unusual readout.

While reverse LCDs are a fascinating novelty, they're not exactly the easiest to read in daylight; you might end up becoming frustrated and disillusioned with G-Shocks as a whole.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:19.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Banned

Or get one standard screen for day use, and a reverse for night use. Probably best to get one of the ana-digis too, and you'll probably want to try out the resin ones as well as the metal ones. And I think they come in straight analog now, those are awesome, better get a couple...

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    I was the same as you. I only cared about mechanicals, couldn't be bothered with quartz, especially digital. But I noticed this fanatical following, their own sub-forum, the seemingly endless styles and features.

Recently I started turning pro-quartz (still love mechs), and I wanted a watch with gadgets and tech features. I also started riding my bike again and going to a gym, so I wanted a genuine tough tool watch, not some pricey delicate wannabe tool diver with a ridiculous depth rating and 240g of steel and 5mm crystal that will still fail if it takes a knock, and that will get scratched, and I would be upset if it got scratched.

So I asked around, several people recommended a G. I took a look at one at an AD, tried one on, and all of a sudden I understood the love. So go try one on. If it doesn't make you smile then it's not for you, no loss. But if you are a G-man, you will understand fully and instantly what it's all about.

I'm wearing my G as I type this. Only two weeks old, I haven't worn another watch since I put it on. Even to go to an art exhibition! I wore it in the pool yesterday, and in the dry sauna after, and then in the shower after gym, on the bike to work this morning, and in the shower at work. There is no other watch in my collection I would even think about wearing while doing all of that. It is a true tool watch.

I love this little blue tough guy, simple as that.
    I started a thread about a GYM watch a few months back. Most of the people refer me to Gshock. For the same reasons as u stated, it seems like a good choice for some things such as going to the gym.

..I felt the same way for awhile...Until I got my first one

Being a nerd, I felt I had to try them out. They are cool and full of gizmos, but you can also work, golf, drink with them and not have to worry about their well being.

The coolest part is they have a very low cost entry point, so you can jump right in. They range from mild to wild, and you have a rainbow of colors to choose from.

For less then 100 bucks you can have a solar/atomic watch that can survive everything with the small exception of time (resin rot).
    Last edited by subrosa; March 23rd, 2009 at 08:49.
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

as above, i went to the G-Shock forum because i wanted to buy ONLY ONE for use for riding my mountain bike, or going to the gym.....well i got one, and was so impressed with it i wanted another....and another...and another....and...

Now i have 6 in the span of maybe 2 1/2 months.

The facts tell you why theyre popular:

• Amazing quality
    • Tougher than the watch your currently wearing, regardless of what it is
    • collectable, there are about a bazillion different ones
    • Currently theyre popular among celebrities & musicians
    • Japanese-made (think HONDA reliability in a watch)
    • Super cheap, so you can buy many
    • Models that can do anything, from storing phone numbers to having video games in them.

So you get a popular, quality, fashionable, great watch for less than $100 ? kinda hard to beat.

Dont let me even get started on custom & rare G's.......

VALUE, RELIABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY, DESIGN CLASSIC
    & if it gets lost or dies, you haven't sacrificed a whole load of $$$$$$$$$

Oh - they are bomb proof - they are what many pro divers wear and what many special forces wear

I've never owned one, but bought them for my sons and missus and keep thinking I need a 'frogman'"

s
    Last edited by Simon; March 23rd, 2009 at 20:14.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information