What's going on with RGM? - Page 20
Like Tree461Likes

Thread: What's going on with RGM?

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: What's going on with RGM?

Well, for the record, the first time I visited RGM, Roland put me in a head lock until I agreed to buy an 801ES. Also, I was pelted with raw eggs and cheap knockoff watches from Canal Street.

My 801 is a gorgeous hunk of timepiece, though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Red Brick View Post
    This is some amateur-hour stuff that ABTW is doing here, regardless of the particulars between them and RGM. It looks like they are trying to flex, and it smells a little of hubris and questionable judgement to me. The caveat on the RGM posts and subsequent backtracking are not the maneuvers of a high-level operation. Any publicist or PR maven worth his/her salt would have slapped the keyboard out of ABTW's hands before any of this stuff went up on the site.
    We don't know what really happened and this whole issue should never have been aired in the first place. Work it out and if you can't, move on. If you incurred damages, deal with it in a professional manner instead of adding that crap to your website.

The PR folks and attorneys didn't get to ABTW as they violated the first lesson in preventing problems from
    escalating "shut your mouth".

I've read ABTW many times and think their reports ok so why cast any ill will on a highly respected brand and watch master in a public arena?

This thread sure is going around in circles.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    This thread sure is going around in circles.
    Good grief, we can't even agree whether Rolex or Grand Seiko is better and at least in that debate there are some objective facts people can point to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthetier View Post
    All I can say is that many people are choosing not to do business with them at this time.
    And therein lies the danger of the vague statements posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    While those are metrics that are important to some people, my point was the ones I mentioned and all but a couple of your added ones (magnetic resistance and toxic chemicals) can vary significantly from watch to watch. ...
    I feel that extrapolating from one watch the problems of all watches would be potentially erroneous much of the time. If a reviewer was able to assemble data from a statistically valid sample then they certainly could report that. I do not see this happening in the watch trade.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a statisticaly relevant data about the accuracy of various movements. But until then a sample of one is much better than a sample of none.

You are basicaly saying that all those in-depth analysis of various movements, like the one where tha author compared ETA 2824 and two Chinese clones (
    Comparison: Sea-Gull ST2130, ETA 2824-2, Peacock SL3000 | Watch Guy ) are in fact pointless, because they are all done on a sample of one.

Anyway, I don't need a reviewer to tell me the watch is beautiful or not, or what color it is (I can see all that for myself), I need them to tell me something I don't know, or I could not see from the promotional photos. I need him to put the watch under the microscope, so that I can see the finishing, for example - even if everything is done on a single sample (which is usually not even randomly selected, because a smart manufacturer will take a close look at a watch before sending it for a review).

Reading about the specifications of forgettable watches doesn't interest me much.

However, I would be interested in reading well-written, educated opinions from someone with basic design literacy, and who doesn't appear as if he still requires his mother's assistance to get dressed.

Wonder if anyone realises that ABTW is free for everyone and you don't pay to read it? It's something you would have paid a decent amount of money for if it was in print form.
    Surfrider likes this.
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex: Pepsi GMT 16710
    | IWC: 3706 Flieger Chronograph | IWC: Gold vintage dress watch | Muhle Glashutte: SeeBattalion GMT | Omega: SpeedMaster Triple Calendar 3321.80 | Seiko: 5719 8992 Monopusher Chronograph | Newmark: 6BB RAF Chronograph | Eterna: Eternamatic 2002 | Mondaine: Stop2Go | Boldr: Voyager Pacific
    Incoming:
    Nothing at the moment
    Instagram:
    @jsj11

What's going on with RGM?

Quote Originally Posted by jsj11 View Post
    It's something you would have paid a decent amount of money for if it was in print form.
    No, no I wouldn't. I subscribe to WatchTime for the reasons listed on the two posts above - they put the watches on the time grapher and report the accuracy, they have other hard data and subjective ratings of different elements. While I have to agree that like all "reviews" they stop a bit short of trashing anything, they DO write some negative, or at least questioning, things. I have picked up copies of other magazines, and do NOT subscribe to them because their reviews are just rehash of the press release. Pretty pictures though!

Blogs serve a different purpose. At their heart, they are meant to be faster than traditional publishing. But in reality, all are supported solely by advertising, not subscriptions, and whether the reviewer is in the advertising department or not there is always going to be more conflict of interest than in a regular magazine.
    Last edited by ~tc~; July 30th, 2014 at 14:07.

Noted without comment: Several hours ago, the Watchuseek Facebook page changed their cover photo to an RGM 801A.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread Information