What's more important for you: Movement or looks? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Are you a movement or a "looks" person?

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Movement

29 27.88%
  • Looks

75 72.12%

Thread: What's more important for you: Movement or looks?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: What's more important for you: Movement or looks?

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post

I only bought 4 out of 24 watches I own for their looks. An E1, a sea Dweller, a Panerai PAM001 and a Citizen Diver with monocoque case. It does help that they all keep excellent time, though.
    But of the other 20 you bought primarily based on the movement, how many are not already stunningly beautiful to begin with ?
    Last edited by bigvatch; September 3rd, 2010 at 18:54.

Well, there's also a third criteria for me, and that would be "function." When I'm looking for a watch, function is more important than movement or looks. That includes the lume as well.

I am just now getting indoctrinated into the finer aspects of movements. So, at this stage I would say I opt for looks, but really it is more for functionality.

I just purchased a gorgeous new Gemini skeleton, and the only thing it does is sit there and look pretty. My first such "wayward" purchase. Most of my other watches are workhorses for me, and were purchased for specific functionality.

As example, my 25 year old Seiko Yachting Timer is second to none when racing sailboats, which I have spent most of my life doing. The countdown timer is analog - which to me is much more "real-world informative" in the final minute before a start than a digital LCD readout.

It is a quartz movement with several motors inside. I doubt seriously if a mechanical movement could duplicate the functions of 5, 10, and 15 minute time periods, plus an adjustable time period, plus a series of audio beeps during the final minute, plus a normal time function. I don't think a watch similar to this (analog) can even be purchased today which is kind of sad.

It's kind of funny really in that all the sailing rags promote nothing but watches like the Rolex Oyster Submariner - which out on the starting line doesn't do squat for a skipper.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81145&dateline=128335  7153(It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin') --"That's the story, folks---glad we could get together" -- JCS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks make me want to buy a watch, but if the movement is a eg quartz with no recharging mechanism, it's a deal killer, on the other hand a ok or fruity looking watch with an interesting movement, would make me want to make a purchase.

Example: I am in love with lot of the new Zodiac designs, but the quartz movement kills it for me, on the other hand some not so great looking chinese Mechanical watches and Orient watches that don't fully fulfill my watch taste do make me want to pull out my wallet because they have a interesting power reserve complication
    Casio EQW-M1000DB-1AER Solar Atomic Radio Sync 1/20th second Stopwatch
    Citizen 8110A Automatic 2-register flyback chronograph 28,800bph
    Casio PAW 1500T Titanium ABC Tide MoonGraph Radio Sync
    Citizen Calibre 2100 Titanium Chronograph AV0021-52H
    Invicta Corduba 7135 Skeletonized Miyota 8N24 21J Movt
    Invicta Sapphire Ghost Skeletonized ETA 2824-2 Model 2701
    Citizen Promaster Titanium AS4050-51E Radio Control Eco-Drive (Ultimate Nighthawk) **GRAIL STATUS**
    Invicta SubAqua Noma III 4550 ETA 7751 **GRAIL STATUS**
    Citizen Skyhawk AT Black Stainless Steel **GRAIL STATUS**
    Citizen Skyhawk Stainless Steel
    Casio G-Shock GW-1300A Solar Atomic
    Casio Protrek PRG-70YT Black Titanium Triple Sensor
    Casio SeaPathfinder SPF-70T Titanium Triple Sensor
    Casio Protrek PRG-80T Titanium Triple Sensor
    Poljot 31681 Movt Volmax Aviator III Mechanical Chronograph
    Aviator 31681 / 3035268 Mechanical Chronograph

Movement is very important, but it could have the best movement in the world and look like crap and i wouldn't buy it.
    vs
    This is why I don't buy quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Since functionality has been subsumed into looks I guess that makes my choice even easier. I find movements interesting, but, as others have said, as long as they pass a base level of reliability and quality it's all fine with me.
    Agreed. A reliable movement is a cost of entry for me. It's the design that sucks me in.
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

neither, they are both equally important.
    the official canadian time: http://time5.nrc.ca/webclock_e.shtml

Banned

The whole package is important.
    Just like the lady you intend to spend/waste the rest of your life with.

I cant have one without the other. If a watch looks amazing but has a cheap movement I dont want it. That being said if a watch has an amazing inhouse movement but looks like crap I wont buy it either.

Both factors play into my decision with neither more heavily weighted.
    a watch has metaphoric powers. It can function, for example, as a kind of [Self]-centric G.P.S. device. You put it on, and it gives you a lock on your own coordinates — not just time but space and self.

-NY times article on John Mayers watch collection

The Collection So Far...

Zenith Elite Port Royal 39mm- Currently on GF
    Vintage Rolex Oyster Date 34mm
    Orient CFM00004W 43mm
    Bulova Day/Date quartz 34 mm
    Lum-tec M42 Automatic (Phantom)

Grails.
    IWC Big Pilot
    Breitling Transocean B01
    Zenith striking 10th
    Omega Seamaster GMT/Speedmaster
    Glashutte Original
    Rolex GMT Master IIc
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grand GMT
    and so many more....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    But of the other 20 you bought primarily based on the movement, how many are not already stunningly beautiful to begin with ?
    A fair question. Let me go to my watch box. :)

Ah, I see I forgot one for looks. It's ugly duckly, a total misfit in my collection and I still bought it because I was digging the looks. A rose gold plated Invicta Pro-diver with Seamaster/Yachtmaster bezel and MOP dial. Crazy watch. Miyota movement that runs seriously fast. Movement itself is not bad but nothing special.

Of the 19 remaining watches I'd say that the taste verdict would tend to think the G-shocks and the Seiko/Casio digitals can't be said to be "stunningly beautiful". So you can take at least ten watched off. About 9 left. The Oris GMT TT1 would be a matter of taste. The Swatch (day/date) has a very simple look. I think it's beautiful but I really liked to find a cheap day/date.
    The JLC, IWC, Cartier and Chronomaster are indeed real lookers but also have a movement character which is why I bought them.

The good thing is that at that level watches are rarely ugly. So you can make a movement decision and still get a beautiful watch.

As I said, functionality can be subsumed either in looks or in movement. Diver functionality would be looks, perpetual calendar would be movement.

Alan, thanks very much for moving the thread. It makes more sense in the Public Forum as gettocard rightly noticed.

Till

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information