What's more important for you: Movement or looks? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Are you a movement or a "looks" person?

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Movement

29 27.88%
  • Looks

75 72.12%

Thread: What's more important for you: Movement or looks?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: What's more important for you: Movement or looks?

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    A fair question. Let me go to my watch box. :)

Ah, I see I forgot one for looks. It's ugly duckly, a total misfit in my collection and I still bought it because I was digging the looks. A rose gold plated Invicta Pro-diver with Seamaster/Yachtmaster bezel and MOP dial. Crazy watch. Miyota movement that runs seriously fast. Movement itself is not bad but nothing special.

Of the 19 remaining watches I'd say that the taste verdict would tend to think the G-shocks and the Seiko/Casio digitals can't be said to be "stunningly beautiful". So you can take at least ten watched off. About 9 left. The Oris GMT TT1 would be a matter of taste. The Swatch (day/date) has a very simple look. I think it's beautiful but I really liked to find a cheap day/date.
    The JLC, IWC, Cartier and Chronomaster are indeed real lookers but also have a movement character which is why I bought them.

The good thing is that at that level watches are rarely ugly. So you can make a movement decision and still get a beautiful watch.

As I said, functionality can be subsumed either in looks or in movement. Diver functionality would be looks, perpetual calendar would be movement.

Alan, thanks very much for moving the thread. It makes more sense in the Public Forum as gettocard rightly noticed.

Till
    quite a collection you have!

Banned

Thanks. No real "mega" pieces in there but I do enjoy each single one of them from the $12 Casio that gives accuracy at the HEQ level (how lucky can one get?) to the JLC Master Calendar where the rotor spinning sounds like champagne bubbles on crack. ;) I get a big smile on my face just thinking about it. And that's how it should be.

Till

UJU

I would like to say that looks is the most important factor, but I've passed on a few nice looking watches because of the movement. So, the movement becomes the important factor.
    My goal is to have a collection with as many different movements as possible.
    The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon. -Sun Tzu

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Look of the movement.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Banned

That would be a movement vote for me.

Banned

Over lunch, I had a look on my watch collection.
    I realised, that all my more expensive watches are quite bland looking, with nice movements.

So in fact I prefer a neutral dial/case and a beautiful movement!

I realised that that is the reason for me not to get a Glashutte "product", as the 3/4 plate obscures so much beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFiend1 View Post
    I cant have one without the other. If a watch looks amazing but has a cheap movement I dont want it. That being said if a watch has an amazing inhouse movement but looks like crap I wont buy it either.

Both factors play into my decision with neither more heavily weighted.
    That pretty much sums it up. I doubt anyone makes a decision on a watch based on just one criteria alone, looks vs movement - its a combination of both.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

Of course, it's always a combination of both. The question here is, if pressed really hard, what would be the more important criterion for your decision.

As we see in my own example, sometimes I make a looks decision and other times I make a movement decision. But when I do the tally, movement comes out ahead.

If we do the tally on Eric's collection looks come out ahead but behind looks there is the functionality that in a dive watch depends more on the exterior design of the case, dial and bracelet than on the movement.

I also think that the argument we heard about "I have to look at it all the time, so I might as well choose something pretty" makes perfect sense.

Till

If I had to pick one, it's the movement (the soul of the watch ). Nevertheless I've gotten watches that are great lookers but had mediocre movements, and boring watches with interesting movements and flipped them both.

*Balance* Seeking both a respectable movement and decent looks made me move on from affordables to mid level brands (Omega, Breitling, etc.). Although lately I've been think I could do without the pragmatic overkill of my Superocean if it meant something more special (W3's pilot with a Benzinger engraved movement, built in North Carolina, for example).

Getting slightly o/t, I think I suffer from the common bias of thinking I need a way over-engineered watch. But I'm not diving regularly (and if I were, a mechanical watch would be superfluous), and I'm not working in a nuclar reactor, so I'm beginning to think it makes more sense to have a watch with greater craftsmanship even if its more 'fragile.' If it breaks, I'll get it fixed...it is mechanical after all...
    Last edited by homathetes; September 4th, 2010 at 00:55. Reason: added thought

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    I won't even "look" at a watch that is not visually appealing to me. After that, the movement MAY OR MAY NOT kill the deal, but the watch WILL be one that I like to look at.
    That is well said. The watch must be visually appealing, then the movement can make the deal.

This is corny, but it is similar to picking a significant other. Visual attraction, then comes meet and greet, if you like the personality then it is a go.

Movement = personality

looks = well....looks

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information