What's the most bone headed thing you've done to your watch?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What's the most bone headed thing you've done to your watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's the most bone headed thing you've done to your watch?

What is the worst thing you've done to one of your watches? We all do dumb things every once in a while and accidents do happen. For me, it was leaving the crown unscrewed on my Fortis Flieger. I just picked it up that morning, wound it up, set it, and forgot to screw it in. This was in the middle of summer and it was inside. I keep my house around 67 F during the summers and in Arkansas it gets really hot and muggy out. I got to the office, parked my car, looked at my watch and it was all fogged up inside. That's when I noticed that the crown was unscrewed.

I had to work the rest of the day, so I went inside, left the crown unscrewed and put it by the AC vent. I went home and did the same, tried a hair dryer, but the next day, I could see that the damage was done. There were water droplets on the crystal. The lumed hands and dial looked corroded. The worst part about all of this is that I just had the watch serviced 2 weeks prior and was so happy to have it back.

Anyway, I left the watch for over a year before finally getting it repaired. The internals were okay and Fortis repair says that there was no rust. The repair bill was a little hefty because I had to replace the dial, hands, and they recommended a regular service (again!). I get it back this week and I can't wait.

So let's hear your stories!

I have recently done the same with my breitling headwind, fortunately it was the middle of winter when the humidity was low and the air dry.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: What's the most bone headed thing you've done to your watch?

I'll let a few others chime in before submitting the winning entry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Two that I remember, one was wearing one while hiking next to a waterfall, slippery rocks, etc, got dinged badly by the end, but luckily it was a beater.

Second one is when I tried to put leather conditioner and wanted to warm up the leather first as per instructions. Didnt have a hair dryer handy so what did I do??? I held it next to the gas stove, got burnt nicely and left a deep blackened area on the strap that ruined it. yeah, i'm brilliant sometimes.
    KindaDevil likes this.

Got a mint anonimo wayfarer 2 from a member on here. Took it on vacation to Jamaica the next day. The second night there I was buzzed and fumbled while putting it on. Dropped it on to a tile floor from waist height. Hands got all knocked out of whack and the case has a big dent in it. Wore it for a total of about 10 hours before that happened.

Ok, I'll play,

I did this long time ago, but still, it wasn't the best idea of the century. I was 11 (1982) and living my digital watch love with my new Timex Ironman. While walking in the house, i hit the watch on a wall and it left white paint marks on the resin case. I tried to rub it off with all kind of product, but no, the damn white marks where still there. That's when I had the genius idea of trying with nail polish remover, and it worked But, after a few hours, the case cracked! Yep, the stuff was a bit to strong for the plastic I felt like crying, It was a watch I wanted for so long and I new my father would tell me '' Though luck son!''. Anyway, I sent the watch back for warranty and they changed the case, for free! (except for shipping). I was impressed and sworn I would never use nail polish remover on a watch, ever!

And you know what? I haven't thought of that story in years, you brought back good souvenirs about my first watches, thanks.
    ~ Daniel ~

I was 8 when i did this:

I was in the pool and i wanted to time how long i could hold my breath.

So i pushed the buttons underwater.
    Final Collection:
    AP RO 15300 (White Dial)
    Rolex Explorer II (White Dial)
    RM 005 WG
    PP 5167A
    AP FC Diver

Hers:
    Rolex GMT IIc Two Tone
    Cartier Ballon Bleu
    PAM 111

DM71 might be close, but y'all are going to have to come up with better yet to be in contention.

HPoirot - I am willing to bet 99% of the watch owning public doesn't know you shouldn't push the pushers underwater.

I did something horrible to my JSAR.

I sold it.
    Ottovonn likes this.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Most boneheaded thing? Easy: trying my own repairs without proper tools. Back in 2005 I tried to fix this one:

The chronograph minute hand would jump when engaging the chrono. I found instructions for a fix, and I fixed it all right. I fixed that part right out of the back of the watch and across the room. Needless to say, the chronograph didn't function after that and I quit trying my own repairs.
    • James •
    watches in moviesfacebooktwitterinstagram

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information