What's the risk involved with using the quick date change?

Thread: What's the risk involved with using the quick date change?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's the risk involved with using the quick date change?

Why are you not to use the quick date adjustment between the hours of 9pm and 3AM on a lot of mechanical watches?

What could it damage? If you do it once with the hands between those hours are you sure to damage something?

Thanks.

Re: What's the risk involved with using the quick date change?

I am sure someone more qualified could comment, but I think that is just a recommendation to help avoid possible damage to the movement. I don't know about using the quick-set specifically, but If you are adjusting the time, I think as long as you are moving it "forward" there shouldn't really be a problem.
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeep View Post
    Why are you not to use the quick date adjustment between the hours of 9pm and 3AM on a lot of mechanical watches?

What could it damage? If you do it once with the hands between those hours are you sure to damage something?

Thanks.
    There are some watches that will not be damaged by setting between those hours. There are many more watches that according to the owner manual can be damaged. The advice given on this forum about avoiding those hours is only for those of us who don't read the owners manual for their watch.

The damage would be to the teeth that are engaged to rotate the date wheel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am certainly no expert, but as I understand it, the internal date-change mechanism is engaged during those hours, and it may not be a good idea to quick change the date at the same time. Of course, each watch is different as to when the mechanism engages and when the date finishes changing, so the 9p-3a is meant to provide a big enough window to prevent damaging the movement.

D

The mechanism can become engaged during those hours, so winding the time backwards can damage the date change mechanism. Winding the time forward will have zero impact, as it will only expedite the date change process.
    As far as changing the date during those hours goes: IIRC, unless you force it, you cant really change the date manually.

If you've got a quick set date feature on your watch, you most definitely can damage the watch if you change it while the mechanism is engaged. When I first bought my IWC Fleiger (used), I was so anxious to wear it, that the first thing I did was set the time and date... and managed to break the watch. Off to IWC for repair, and five hundred dollars later, I had my watch back. Believe me, I'm cautious now.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskunk View Post
    If you've got a quick set date feature on your watch, you most definitely can damage the watch if you change it while the mechanism is engaged. When I first bought my IWC Fleiger (used), I was so anxious to wear it, that the first thing I did was set the time and date... and managed to break the watch. Off to IWC for repair, and five hundred dollars later, I had my watch back. Believe me, I'm cautious now.

I wish your post would be generated every thing some one says don't worry about it :)

Quote Originally Posted by roseskunk View Post
    What happens to the watch when it breaks in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    I wish your post would be generated every thing some one says don't worry about it :)
    It still wouldnt make it true.

I dug up my breitling manual just to quote this exactly for anybody wondering:

"mechanical watches endowed with a date, day, month or moonphase indicator are uqiuipped with a complex mechanism that is set into motion between 8 pm and 3 am. It is therefore vital to avoid adjusting the calendar or moving the time backwards during this period" [emphasis added]

There is also a diagram with a little warning picture telling you to only wind it forward during 20h and 3h.
    Last edited by RJRJRJ; August 29th, 2009 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    It still wouldnt make it true.
    Yes, I'm lying to you... whatever you read in the Breitling instructions is true for every watch ever made. Don't listen to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information