What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does "election" mean

Thread: What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does "election" mean

What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does "election" mean

What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does the word election on the movement mean. I have one of the LE 100 Azimuth Bombadier IV and they made a big deal out of the vintage MArvin Movement. The word election on the movement I have and old U. Nardin with this on the movement, what does it mena

Banned

Re: What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does "election"

Marvin was the company that designed the movement, and Election was a watch brand that used Marvin's ebauches and rebadged them with their own name. Longines used the same movements too, calling them the caliber 490. Check out this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/lon...-a-425214.html

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does "election"

Quote Originally Posted by ham phillips View Post
    What's so special about a vintage "MARVIN" mechanical movement & what does the word election on the movement mean. I have one of the LE 100 Azimuth Bombadier IV and they made a big deal out of the vintage MArvin Movement. The word election on the movement I have and old U. Nardin with this on the movement, what does it mena
    Nothing wrong with the movement. But on the other hand it is just a new old stock hw movement and I can't see any reason to make a big deal out of it.

The Azimuth Bombardier IV is said to recall the robust pilot's watches from the World War II with its oversized onion crown, oversized dial with bold, highly legible luminous Arabic numerals, and riveted calf strap.
    Well, if so why not using a movement with a center seconds hand then ? Why not using the right font for the numerals? Why using the wrong luminous compound ? Why not using the right hands ? (the hands used have been used in military (pilot's) chronographs those times, the hands used in the B-Uhren looked quite different.

A lot of money for a limited edition of a watch that does not really recall the robust pilot's watches of WW II.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with all stated, though I didn't know about the lum, but i did get it new for $600 so not so bad for the money. Best,Ham

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Nothing wrong with the movement. But on the other hand it is just a new old stock hw movement and I can't see any reason to make a big deal out of it.

The Azimuth Bombardier IV is said to recall the robust pilot's watches from the World War II with its oversized onion crown, oversized dial with bold, highly legible luminous Arabic numerals, and riveted calf strap.
    Well, if so why not using a movement with a center seconds hand then ? Why not using the right font for the numerals? Why using the wrong luminous compound ? Why not using the right hands ? (the hands used have been used in military (pilot's) chronographs those times, the hands used in the B-Uhren looked quite different.

A lot of money for a limited edition of a watch that does not really recall the robust pilot's watches of WW II.
    While it's nothing like a B-Uhr, it doesn't necessarily have to be, surely other designs have been used during WWII as well. I have seen the style on many watches (quite notably on Zeno pilot watches), but I can't associate it to any warring party of the time.

Anyway, I'm with you on the B-Uhr designs. How come nobody gets that quite right? (I started elaborating on this but it developed into a full-fledged rant that I'll save for its own thread)

Thread Information