What's up with Cuervo y Sobrinos
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What's up with Cuervo y Sobrinos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's up with Cuervo y Sobrinos

I'm relatively new to watch collecting and have been watching the forum for a bit of time so please be kind as I ask my first question.

I've become interested in Cuervo y Sobrinos pieces, especially the gold Flameante, reference 3130.9FB, but I'm confused about what they're trying to do.

This piece retails at $14K, which seems like a heck of a lot of money for an ETA-based watch considering more established brands with in house movements are in that price range. A Calatrava or 36mm Lange is only a little more money and an IWC Portofino are less, each of which have in house movements, better brands (which equates to holding more value), and better finishing. The Arnold & Son HMS1 Royal Blue looks similar, has an 8 day power reserve, and is available around $7K from ADs. I also see gray market Cuervos going for less than half their retail price, which tells me they're struggling to sell at the ADs.

The blue Flameante looks like a good piece and that dial but I can't understand this pricing. I'm thinking its MSRP is at least double what it should be. Am I missing something? I know none of us have insight to Cuervo's management so we're all guessing, but I'd sure appreciate your perspectives.

Thanks in advance...
    Sebast975 likes this.

Re: What's up with Cuervo y Sobrinos

Quote Originally Posted by aceswerling View Post
    The blue Flameante looks like a good piece and that dial but I can't understand this pricing. I'm thinking its MSRP is at least double what it should be. Am I missing something? I know none of us have insight to Cuervo's management so we're all guessing, but I'd sure appreciate your perspectives.

Thanks in advance...
    Try this thread.

In general, CyS is a great brand with watches consistent with the history of wrist watches: a jeweler takes a good movement and puts it into a great case w/ bracelet. In this case, a Havana-based jeweler did that with Cuban flair for a decent chunk of the 20th century, selling to all manner of celebs, then - as with many / most brands - CyS fell away and was then resurrected.

As for the movement ... with wristwatches you're buying jewelry that emphasize different attributes, there's no single pricing formula because jewelry. For example if you love polished handcrafted movement parts even in a watch without a display-back, get a Patek. The in-house movement thing can be a larger downside than up: more prone to error, harder to service, etc, so you have to decide what's important to you: look or movement or both.

If you want a mechanical watch with Cuban flair that's easy and cheap to service, get a CyS.
    ljb187 likes this.

I just bought a Flameante a short while ago. But mine is the silver dialed, stainless steel model. So it cost nowhere near the$14K you mention. I also got a nice discount from our local dealer (repeat customer) - I paid somewhere between $2K and $3K for mine. Yes there are cheaper ETA7001 watches out there but to me a watch in more than just a movement and the Flameante really struck me as a nice watch all around. If you're interested maybe look at their stainless steel models instead of the gold ones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Saw the brand couple of times as a name so not much to share, but can I ask the owners who post their opinion to share some pictures with it. Please excuse me for the off topic! I felt fascinated by the brand and want to see more of it.

Sent using my telepathic superpowers!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So we're saying CyS needs to be regarded as jewelry and not strictly as a watch. That means value is connected to aesthetics and workmanship more than the technical characteristics of the watch itself. I hadn't considered that before but it makes some sense.

I agree the stainless version is substantially less expensive than the gold version. My brain says it's kinda weird that the gold watch is 4.5x the price since gold isn't that much more expensive. I guess if we look at it as jewelry then perhaps CyS thinks that justifies the extra cost.

John Price, how do you feel about your Flameante now that you have it? I like the stainless/blue dial version, but man, that gold one just pops. And I'm not really a gold watch guy...

All wrist watches, including CyS, are jewelry.

Swiss watch history is farmers spending their winter months building movements they sold to jewelers in the spring who then put them into bespoke cases eventually leading to wrist watches. Some of us (most?) consider bespoke and bejeweled movements ancillary - I appreciate those movements, but I have no desire to own one and/or pay for its upkeep.

So the point there is, with a watch you're always paying for the jewelry, and then the maintenance of the jewelry.
    bobham, ffritz and ljb187 like this.

I read an article a few months ago in IW about them. I don't have the issue any longer as I gave it to my Uncle.

They make great tequila.
    Lix_Tetrax and JohnnyKarate like this.

Retail price does not correspond to value. "Off brand" gold watches usually sell for around 50% of MSRP.
    Lix_Tetrax likes this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Funny I stumbled across this post, I'm wearing my CyS today for the first time in weeks. It cost me 3k unworn condition purchased from Delray Watch a few months ago. I love the Cuban flair, the watch definitely livens up my collection.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    GrussGott and Synequano like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information