What's up with my watch?

Thread: What's up with my watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's up with my watch?

I recently bought a Cartier Tank Francaise from ebay for a too good to be true price. The watch is legit (took it to an AD) BUT it just stops randomly every now and then. The only way to get it going is to pull the crown and push it back in again. That may give you another 20 mins then it stops again and you have to repeat.

WTF is wrong with it? I still haven't left feedback for this guy so I could still request my money back.

Is it shagged beyond repair or does it just need servicing? (bought in 1997, probably not been serviced)

Re: What's up with my watch?

Have a watchmaker look at it first -- it could be a very simple adjustment that doesn't cost hardly anything. If it's going to be a more substantial repair, I'd send it back and get a refund.

Just my two cents.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbernier View Post
    Have a watchmaker look at it first -- it could be a very simple adjustment that doesn't cost hardly anything. If it's going to be a more substantial repair, I'd send it back and get a refund.

Just my two cents.

Mike
    Is it wise to trust a watchmaker for such an expensive watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrose1992 View Post
    Whom else would you trust? The garbage man?

A lot of watches tend to wind up for sale when they need a standard service, and the owner realizes how much it will cost (a few hundred dollars and take a month or so). 1997, and never been serviced or been serviced maybe 7ish years ago, would make it in need of servicing now. Your problem sounds like a "dry movement," the lubricants are too old and have dried out, I had what sounds like a similar problem (my watch was stopping). Do you want to make a capital investment into your new used watch? Make sure it's just a standard maintenance and not repairing his damage.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with this type of thing from Ebay, so I can't give you any fact on what it's like, sorry. Hope it works out for you.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

just take it down to the little cart at your local mall. The dudes in those huts can usually tackle any problem involving a simple thing like a stop/starting watch. it doesnt matter if its a cartier and besides-you got it incredibly cheap so why start with spending good money on it now?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    just take it down to the little cart at your local mall. The dudes in those huts can usually tackle any problem involving a simple thing like a stop/starting watch. it doesnt matter if its a cartier and besides-you got it incredibly cheap so why start with spending good money on it now?
    Yeah, and don't worry - the scratches they put in the case will probably polish out!

Seriously, take it to a watchmaker and be ready to spend the money you 'saved' on the repair.

How about a picture of this too-good-to-be-true Cartier? Does it have must de on the dial?
    Last edited by ulackfocus; December 25th, 2010 at 03:14.

No, I agree with you that it's not. I also don't trust mechanics with my cars and doctors with my body. Instead I rely on perfect strangers on the Internet for advice (and just so I make sure they are giving me best advice, I give them a very brief overview of the problem with no pictures or details).

(Just playing with ya).

If you really care aobut the watch then just make sure you're taking it to a real watchmaker, not one of those carts at the mall. You can ask around for recommended watchmakers. Typically good ADs have decent watchmakers.

If you got a good deal on the watch then sending it for servicing shouldn't hurt. It's way overdue anyway.
    Baume et Mercier 8462 - 42mm
    Casio Chronograph 1325 MWA-800 - 40mm

Assume ANY watch you buy off eBay will require a full service when you get it. Factor this into how much you want to pay for it.
    Works for me.
    "My grail showed up today"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information