What's the watch industry getting wrong?
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: What's the watch industry getting wrong?

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

What's the watch industry getting wrong?

What's the industry getting wrong? What segment is it missing? Are trends in sizing wrong? In-house movements? Price? Materials?

What broad, strategic change would you make to the watch industry if you could?

Re: What's the watch industry getting wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Luxury Watches View Post
    What's the industry getting wrong? What segment is it missing? Are trends in sizing wrong? In-house movements? Price? Materials?

Break the groups up, and get rid of holding companies. Independently owned watch companies have the freedom to try new designs and be creative.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Independent George likes this.

One gripe I’ve always had is the many different prices you find for the same watch depending on where you look.

For example if you want a new Omega, you will find very different prices at a boutique, AD, brick and mortar grey market, online sellers. I totally understand the cost structures of these different businesses are different, so there should be some variation across them. But the variation you see is so high.

I would feel so screwed if I ever bought something from an Omega (or insert most other brands here) boutique. The store down the street will discount 20%, and the boutique only knocks off the equivalent of tax (in my experience). Or I can go online and get the same watch for 30% off and no tax. On many watches the difference here is several thousand dollars.

Sometimes I wish all the major brands just had a direct sales model. Even though that would cause its own problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi and gav1230 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here are the things I see most complained about:

1) Odd size lug widths
    2) Sizes either too big or small on same model (offering 44 or 38mm etc)
    3) No bracelet option
    4) No screw down crown
    5) Bad date window placement
    6) Watch thickness (to thick)

Those are the first few that came to mind
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

As far as designs go, two trends have kept me from buying many a watch: oversize watches without counterparts in the 38mm range, and date windows that feel like afterthoughts and that aren't incorporated onto a dial well.
    oztech, mleok, DiverBob and 3 others like this.

Stop or drastically slow down constant price increases, best way to tackle 'grey market'.
    Limit pay of execs and increase watch makers pay.
    Do more to destroy fake market.
    All watches should have strap and bracelet options, quick or easy changeable.
    Cheap disposable plastic quartz watches should be designated an ecological hazard and production halted unless completely recyclable.
    Smartwatches must be made updateable and repairable, by manufacturers or 3rd parties for a 10 year period.
    Warranties should be a minimum of 5 years and repair centers need to be improved.
    Re-focus on the customer not the shareholders.
    Last edited by Barge; 5 Days Ago at 09:00. Reason: typos
    Alpina, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Accessory availability and their designs. It's only recently that I have seen some watch companies consider ease and convenience when designing straps and bracelets, but their accessories can still be hard to acquire.
    Last edited by junta; 4 Days Ago at 09:41.
    Barge and gav1230 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barge View Post
    Cheap disposable plastic quartz watches should a designated an ecological hazard and production halted unless completely recyclable.
    This is in line with the right to repair movement and should be pushed for across the board, not just watches. Designed obsolescence is part and parcel of the consumer electronics industry, that smart watches are a part of as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Luxury Watches View Post

I think the watch industry is out of touch and is often playing catch-up with trends instead of staying on top of things. One of the worst things about the watch industry is the way they keep most of the simpler but better looking designs at the $1000-$1500 or higher price brackets. They don't give enough credit to younger people and seem to think that the younger generation & people who don't want to spend over $500 on a watch must be dumb / have bad taste, so they price their nice, simple designs in higher brackets and flood the entry level with their less desirable & often ugly designs. With social media and the current culture (not just a trend) of self-image, people are more aware of fashion and design.

I think this is why companies like Daniel Wellington and MVMT have been so successful getting into a saturated market with such simple designs. They might be low quality and I would never buy one, but from a normal distance they look better than a lot of the funky watch designs I see from established brands. I don't see why I need to get spend over $1000-$1500 to get a good looking, simple design like the Nomos Orion, Longines Flagship, or Montblanc Heritage from an established brand. Simple case design, decent size, clean simple dial, & applied indices - what's so hard about that? The established brands just don't offer a lot of choices at the entry price range. DW & MVMT are overpriced but for many people $200-$250 is a big difference compared to over $1000, or even $500-$700+ for a lot of the so-so looking "entry level" pieces seen at places where people commonly shop.
    Last edited by heywatchit!!; 5 Days Ago at 11:54.

1) size, I like many watches in terms of design, but their size puts me off (ex: LUC Chopard, too big for a dressy watch)
    2) Design, many designs are putting me of, and its always 1 part of the watch not the whole thing (ex: AP Code 11.59 dial doesn't compliment the beautiful IMO case)
    3) Price, rarely, usually they aren't very off, but sometimes it can be though, its a personal thing
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko - Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard - Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor - Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 - SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines -Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko - Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information