What's wrong with having a 7750 movement? - Page 6
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's wrong with having a 7750 movement?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: What's wrong with having a 7750 movement?

Quote Originally Posted by W123 View Post
    My beef with it is it's a common movement produced in vast numbers, yet manufacturers feel the need to price watches containing the 7750 at high numbers simply because they can and have seemingly convinced many that the price is justified... sure that's their right, and I can choose to think it BS.
    yup.
    the official canadian time: http://time5.nrc.ca/webclock_e.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    They wouldn't it be selling it if nobody was buying.

The IWC 3717 Pilot Chronograph is still a very hot item that sells for 4k+ retail but has a waiting list at most dealers and it now uses an ETA 7750 straight from ETA not even modified by IWC anymore.

I hope Setilla steps up it's game and offers a new movement but I doubt it, they're just cloning the 7750 again. Maybe Soprod? Please someone?

The 7750 that IWC uses is specially built for them by ETA to IWC specs., didn't want anyone to think straight from ETA meant it was a standard top grade 7750, it's not. The movement has a host of refinements not available on stock 7750's

Quote Originally Posted by BaCaitlin View Post
    This is somewhat of a rant. I've been reading posts on this site as well as the other site, and keep seeing how members write about a 7750 like it was a cheap unreliable car made in a third world country, and how it was better to have these new in-house movements. So I have to ask...

Why do people think that a 7750 is inferior to other similar movements that are developed "in-house"? Wasn't a 7750 an "in-house" movement at one point? Has it not been in production for a long enough time to have proven itself as a reliable workhorse? Has an in-house movement ever gone head-to-head testing with a 7750 and come out much more superior in every way? So what if the 7750 doesn't cost as much as one of the in-house movements? I would rather have a reliable movement in my watch than a relatively new and fancy in-house movement decorated with a bunch of fancy baubles.

Okay..rant's over. Sorry.
    IMO the 7750 is the best chronograph movement currently in production for a "tool watch." Its accurate, tough, and easily serviced as many independant shops are familiar with it. There are certainly more refined chrono movements and these are generally more delictae, better finished and may even have more complications and for a dress watch these are great, but for a tool watch, or a chrono diver make mine a 7750

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

Quote Originally Posted by caesarmascetti View Post
    IMO the 7750 is the best chronograph movement currently in production for a "tool watch." Its accurate, tough, and easily serviced as many independant shops are familiar with it. There are certainly more refined chrono movements and these are generally more delictae, better finished and may even have more complications and for a dress watch these are great, but for a tool watch, or a chrono diver make mine a 7750
    Zenith used the El Primero in their "tool watches" particularly the Rainbow and more famous De Luca chronographs. Of course, these "tool watches" cost a fair bit more than the 7750, but there is no doubt about it that they are as rugged (plenty of examples from the 70s and 80s still running fine after being subject to rough use) ... Again, tough to compare due to the price differential. Just about 400,000 El Primeros in total (probably less than 30 to 40,000 Rainbow and De Lucas combined), whereas more than 700,000 7750s are produced each year! The 7750s are definitely easier and cheaper to service and can be done by any competent watchmaker, perhaps not so the case with the El Primero.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Zenith used the El Primero in their "tool watches" particularly the Rainbow and more famous De Luca chronographs. Of course, these "tool watches" cost a fair bit more than the 7750, but there is no doubt about it that they are as rugged (plenty of examples from the 70s and 80s still running fine after being subject to rough use) ... Again, tough to compare due to the price differential. Just about 400,000 El Primeros in total (probably less than 30 to 40,000 Rainbow and De Lucas combined), whereas more than 700,000 7750s are produced each year! The 7750s are definitely easier and cheaper to service and can be done by any competent watchmaker, perhaps not so the case with the El Primero.

The ease of service, and the relative lower cost for me are advantages in a tool type watch that may take a beating.

My experience with the 7750 has been great, that is all I know.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

v76

Quote Originally Posted by caesarmascetti View Post
    The ease of service, and the relative lower cost for me are advantages in a tool type watch that may take a beating.
    Probably might make the most sense to use a quartz or a non-chrono handwind (Unitas 6497/6498) or a Seiko (17J handwind or 21J auto) for a tool watch. A mechanical chrono movement as rugged as even the Lemania 5100 (I'd consider it more rugged than the 7750) is not very well suited for use as a "tool watch". The greater mechanical complexity and part count of a chronograph makes it inherent less reliable than a watch with less moving parts when subject to rough use.
    Collection:

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Probably might make the most sense to use a quartz or a non-chrono handwind (Unitas 6497/6498) or a Seiko (17J handwind or 21J auto) for a tool watch. A mechanical chrono movement as rugged as even the Lemania 5100 (I'd consider it more rugged than the 7750) is not very well suited for use as a "tool watch". The greater mechanical complexity and part count of a chronograph makes it inherent less reliable than a watch with less moving parts when subject to rough use.
    all good points, the Lemania, to the best of my knowledge is out of production, and I'm just not a quartz guy but I do realize they are inherently more resistant to impacts and magnetic fields etc... I mean if it were really about practicality, durability etc... we'd all wear G Shocks

v76

True, true, we're all crazy people sticking to antiquated technology (at a pretty ridiculous cost, if logically looked at ).
    Collection:

wow lots of controversy... Fun thread to read though!
    I own a Hami with the Valjoux 7750 and I am very pleased with it. First I love the watch itself and got it new for $590. It's been great, about +2/3 seconds a day out of the box so I am defnitely happy with its accuracy and the fact it is a proven tough mvt... It may not look great but I can live with that!
    | ALPINA Tribute to KM710 | AVI-8 P-51 Mustang | BLANCPAIN Bathyscaphe | BREITLING Jupiter Pilot | CASIO G-SHOCK DW5600 Rasta, DW5600HR, & GW-M6610 | DOXA 1200t Pro | ERNST & BENZ custom Chronosport | FARER Lander & Pointing II LE #2/100 GMT's, Pendine Chrono | GSD 3A pilot | MERCER Madison | NODUS Retrospect | NORQAIN Adventure Sport | OMEGA Seamaster cal. 1040 | SCURFA Bell Diver 1 PVD, DiverOne Gen I LE PVD Auto, DiverOne GenII X 9 :) | SEIKO Turtles SPB087 & SRP777 | SINN 103 | SPINNACKER Fleuss, Hull Riviera, & Hull Chrono II | SWATCH Irony Chrono | TOCKr Skytrain, DDAY + Air Defenders Blue, Panda LE, Hulk Rosegold, Black PVD | TRASKA Freediver | TUDOR North Flag | SEIKO MM200 SPB087 | UNDONE AquaBlack Custom | ZENITH Cronometro CP2 WWP LE #43/50[B] |

Preordered: ASTOR & BANKS SeaRanger

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information