What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,390

    What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    Is this an example of cognitive dissonance? I truly believe I have too many war hey, yet there's always another I want!

    Obviously "war hey" was supposed to be "watches." That's what I get for posting from my phone...
    Last edited by constant change; January 23rd, 2015 at 19:02.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    572

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    I think many of us will appreciate your sentiment.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,077

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    Quote Originally Posted by constant change View Post
    Is this an example of cognitive dissonance? I truly believe I have too many war hey, yet there's always another I want!
    Probably so, but I suppose it would depend on the timing of when you think you have too many and when you want more. LOL Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your particular mode of expressing the noted mental stress.

    How do you know you have too many? I wasn't aware there is such a thing as too many watches. Maybe you are trying to convince yourself that there is in fact such a thing and that's the problem, not how many you actually have and that you want others.

    As with everything, it's just a matter of how you look at it. There are no absolutes when it comes to collection size or structure.

    All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony



    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne







  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Stellite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    It's this dam forum and all the nice watches posted that make my collection go up
    rdoder and johnr41a like this.
    "In the Eighties we were so amazingly primitive we still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea."

  6. #5
    Member rdoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,178

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    I feel the same way, In theory, one watch is enough, but each time after buying I still want more. It's a disease. Too bad watches are not like Transformers where the style can change over time on demand. In the past I thought looking at pictures of watches online is enough, but it is not. I think part of the addictive process involves searching for what I want, going to look in-person, the high of buying, the high of interacting with and wearing the new watch, the low of getting used to the new watch, and repeat. Part of the problem is that I feel like I have not found the perfect watch yet that fits all of my criteria, but probably there is no such thing as a perfect watch because a person's desire is ever changing. One either stops wanting the perfect watch, or one keeps buying.

  7. #6
    Moderator Emeritus Bradjhomes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38,275

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    It's this dam forum and all the nice watches posted that make my collection go up
    Definitely true.

    Last year I went through so many watches that by the end of the year I had cut my collection back to a reasonable number (about a dozen) and there were only 2 or 3 on my list of watches to lust after. If I had stepped away from the forum at that time then I would still be in that position and within a couple of years I would have a collection I was completely happy with.

    Almost every day since then I have seen another watch posted that has thrown a spanner in the works. I now have a list of watches I long for that is longer than the list of watches I own. Where I was looking at a collection I was happy with I'm now looking at a collection and working out which ones I could sell to feed my habit. Curse this place! (I love it really)
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; January 23rd, 2015 at 16:45.
    Stellite, drhr and tony20009 like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011



  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,077

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    Quote Originally Posted by rdoder View Post
    I feel the same way, In theory, one watch is enough, but each time after buying I still want more. It's a disease. Too bad watches are not like Transformers where the style can change over time on demand. In the past I thought looking at pictures of watches online is enough, but it is not. I think part of the addictive process involves searching for what I want, going to look in-person, the high of buying, the high of interacting with and wearing the new watch, the low of getting used to the new watch, and repeat. Part of the problem is that I feel like I have not found the perfect watch yet that fits all of my criteria, but probably there is no such thing as a perfect watch because a person's desire is ever changing. One either stops wanting the perfect watch, or one keeps buying.
    Oh, hell no! That can't possibly be right! LOL

    All the best.
    rdoder likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony



    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne







  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,390

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    I think I figured out the problem. Unlike other items considered jewelry, it's really only socially acceptable to wear one watch at a time. If I could wear 3or 4 at once the problem would be solved! By forum standards I have a very minimal number of watches in rotation. Only six I wear often, a G Shock atomic solar for outdoor activities, and one with sentimental value. I guess I feel like I have too many because of what I go through before putting on a watch: hmm, today this one - no, that one - but I haven't worn yet another in a while, etc. I bet no one else here ever go through this process...

    Plus, I'll wear a diver with a suit or a dress watch with jeans, which doesn't make it easier to choose a watch for the day.


    Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    Probably so, but I suppose it would depend on the timing of when you think you have too many and when you want more. LOL Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your particular mode of expressing the noted mental stress.

    How do you know you have too many? I wasn't aware there is such a thing as too many watches. Maybe you are trying to convince yourself that there is in fact such a thing and that's the problem, not how many you actually have and that you want others.

    As with everything, it's just a matter of how you look at it. There are no absolutes when it comes to collection size or structure.

    All the best.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,077

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    Quote Originally Posted by constant change View Post
    I think I figured out the problem. Unlike other items considered jewelry, it's really only socially acceptable to wear one watch at a time. If I could wear 3or 4 at once the problem would be solved! By forum standards I have a very minimal number of watches in rotation. Only six I wear often, a G Shock atomic solar for outdoor activities, and one with sentimental value. I guess I feel like I have too many because of what I go through before putting on a watch: hmm, today this one - no, that one - but I haven't worn yet another in a while, etc. I bet no one else here ever go through this process...

    Plus, I'll wear a diver with a suit or a dress watch with jeans, which doesn't make it easier to choose a watch for the day.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
    ― Bernard M. Baruch

    I don't think so. That just sounds like a lame, lily-livered, pathetic excuse to me. I mean really, do you give a damn about what other folks think about what you wear? Hell, "grow a pair" and then we can discuss this again. I'm sure you'll feel differently about it.

    In the 1980s, there was a trend of wearing multiple watches at once. It was super easy to pull off if they were all on bracelets. After all, how different is a watch from a bracelet at that point? Aside from figuring out just how you want to wear them, if it's something you want to do, there's no rules about how to do it. Nic Hayek did it: Twice as Nice. | The Hourology Report .







    To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

    I say to hell with what everyone else does when it comes to how one wants to enjoy fashion items like clothing, jewelry and watches. Sure, some people will be churlish toward one upon seeing one's idiosyncratic expression of horological ardor, but so what...eventually they'll get used to it, and it'll become your own personal hallmark.

    Once that happens, your associates will think something's wrong if they see you wearing just one watch. And why wouldn't they? Surely you are not feeling good or are depressed if you aren't wearing several watches, is what they'll think. Why? Because watches, for all that they are, are also fashion items, and fashion in all it's forms can be a hell of a lot of fun to play with if one just will treat it that way. Everyone knows that is so, but most folks are afraid to let themselves have that much fun. So sad....their loss, but it need not be yours.

    You won't be the first person to be sartorially, stylistically eccentric. Do you think any women besides Coco Chanel wore "little black dresses" the way she did until she turned it into an icon? Most certainly not. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, there was nothing nearly so austere about women's dresses, especially society ladies dresses. Do you think Lucille Ball was a natural redhead? She most certainly was not. She regularly made jokes about the fact that she dyed her hair and chose red. Red hair may not seem odd today, but in Ms. Ball's day, and in her segment of society, the most desirable ladies' hair colors were flaxen or brunette; Pipi Longstocking is the stereotypical image of a red head in those days.

    Today, there are folks still making their own statement. Take retired boxer Chris Eubank, for example. The man routinely wears a monocle and carries silver tipped walking sticks, not a cane, a walking stick. And he's not even young, so "getting away with it" is a good deal harder.



    Dhani Jones, an NFL linebacker, has a thing for bowties.



    What was Peter Sellers' sartorial trademark? Bold and colorful eyewear.



    Colin Tennat sartorial choices were insanely cool and entertaining, and he was from the "stiff upper lip" set. He had a thing for hats, and it didn't generally include a reserved grey fedora or some such.



    Aside from figuring out just how you want to wear multiple watches, if it's something you want to do, there's no rules prohibiting or about how or when to do it. Display them as shown in the pics above, or don't. You can wear multiple watches every day and nobody need know but you...

    If you do opt to make it your own fashion statement, just be aware that no matter how or when you wear multiple watches at once, what it'll say every time you do is that you are an individual and you live by your own rules about things that pertain solely to yourself. The people in your life, no matter what they say initially will (1) be envious that they lack the fortitude to express their own individuality, and (2) they'll respect you for not following the herd.

    All the best.

    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony



    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne







  11. #10
    Member inkonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    985

    Re: What's wrong with me? Too many, but want more!

    This forum, she is the devil....

    Or like the ex you find yourself drunk dialing at 3am. You know you shouldn't (buy more watches) but it you do it anyway. It feels so good in the moment and you'll deal with the consequences later. Or waking up the next morning feeling hung over and promising yourself you'll never drink again but 4 hours later you're at bar ready for happy hour. You love the punishment... we all do.
    blowfish89 and BDIC like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 15
      Last Post: November 3rd, 2010, 01:35

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •