what's your idea on luxury watches?

Thread: what's your idea on luxury watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

hi everyone, I'm the newbie here. Currently I'm working on a school project to design a luxury sport watch and personally I'm not a very big fan of watches (going to be after all the research finding, ). so there are some info that I would like to gather before I start to set direction on my design.

1. What does a watch mean to you other than telling the time? Do you consider it as a must have?

2. When you buying a watch, what are the things that you will normally seek for? Is it the brand, the appearance, the technology, the functions, the material used or some other points?

3. Would you prefer your luxury watch to be simple and classic or something that looks cool and exotic, such as Zenith, Franc Vila, Urwerk?

your feedbacks will mean a lot to me. Very appreciated. thank you.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: what's your idea on luxury watches?

There's a similar topic on here that deals with 'what we look for' in a watch - you might want to check that out. For me, as i said there, I want the watch to be aesthetically pleasing - simple. Less is very often more in watch design, for me. In that vein, material is not important, really. Most of my favorite watches are stainless steel. Chronographs should be simple, and easy to read (look to the Omega Speedmaster). Watches without additional functions should be simple and easy to read at a glance (I like the IWC Spitfire). A degree of water resistance is important. Not every watch needs to go to 300 M, but if I get it wet when I fall in a pool (as I often do) it should hold up.

I also look for history, a connection to the past. Though brand name isn't inherently important, there are a few names that stand out, for me. Omega and Space. Ulysse Nardin and Maritime History. Rolex and, well, there's a lot there - underwater exploration, Everest, etc. Hamilton and WW2. I think that's quite important, though I'm not sure how you'd capture that in mere design.

I could go on and on, of course. But I'll let the discussion develop a little bit before I say any more.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

An overpriced piece of male jewelry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by neveronmonday View Post
    An overpriced piece of male jewelry.
    Sorry, but what question (1-3) have you answered with your one-liner ? Isn't it possible to answer serious questions in a serious way ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Sorry, but what question (1-3) have you answered with your one-liner ? Isn't it possible to answer serious questions in a serious way ?
    Touchy.

In response to your question on this thread's title, I think a luxury watch is one that sells at a price that is out of reach to many people--whether it's because of the rare metals and stones used or because of its complications.

1) Other than telling time,i wear a watch like a woman who loves her accessory. It's not a must-have but it has become habitual.

2) When buying a watch,it's the design that captures my attention 1st..then the brand,followed by the price n material.

3) Currently,i still like my watches to look cool n exotic

Quote Originally Posted by sickid View Post
    hi everyone, I'm the newbie here. Currently I'm working on a school project to design a luxury sport watch and personally I'm not a very big fan of watches (going to be after all the research finding, ). so there are some info that I would like to gather before I start to set direction on my design.

1. What does a watch mean to you other than telling the time? Do you consider it as a must have?

2. When you buying a watch, what are the things that you will normally seek for? Is it the brand, the appearance, the technology, the functions, the material used or some other points?

3. Would you prefer your luxury watch to be simple and classic or something that looks cool and exotic, such as Zenith, Franc Vila, Urwerk?

your feedbacks will mean a lot to me. Very appreciated. thank you.
    1. I do consider it a must have. I never leave the house without a watch and I spend a couple of minutes decideing which to put on my wrist. The watch has become a part of me...every time I come across a boring moment(like wainting at queues) a take a glance at my watch and every time find something new and exciting about it.

2. Sometimes I go for the brand because of different affiliations(like Tissot and MotoGP) but most of the time I just go for the look. After I've decided on a couple of models I start gathering info regarding tehnologies and materials used.

3. I'd prefer a little bit of both if possible...if not I'd go for the simple and classic(in my eye) look!

A watch is definately a "must have" for me. I've been wearing one since I was a kid & I feel naked if I leave the house without one on.

I guess the first thing I look at is design. I like simple, classic designs. I don't really like these new fashion watches that have these super crowded dails or are very colorful. As for material it's either stainless steel or Titanium.

A close second to design is brand, which I many times equate to quality. Along with brand is the movement: whats it got in it?
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

I've worn a pretty average watch for years. Very recently I bought my Omega. I'll try or answer in the context of what this watch means to me:

>> It's a must have to tell the time - nothing more. The fact that it makes me feel really good when I wear it is a bonus but not a must have.

>> In making this purchase I originally considered purchasing new. This limited my market because I struggled to justify the high street prices. Then I decided that pre owned but with provenance was an acceptable way. If chosen carefully I could afford an established premium brand but not pay through the nose for it. I narrowed my focus to the likes of TAG and Omega because their brands met my price point and were lined up with my aspirations and lifestyle interests. Also, the design of these watches appealed to me.
    Aside from pure looks the watch needs to be fit for purpose. I decided I wanted an automatic this time so this limited some of the functionality. At the end of the day, my final choice tells the time, has a chronograph function (which I occasionally use), has a date and has a display that I can read. It's a good name. It's a decent enough model within that range and I love to wear it. If its something that I feel good about then its a decent choice.

>> My general attitude to most things is that I would rather have something which an enthusiast recognises as being special than something which is hyped up or blingy and everybody knows about. My Omega is no excepetion. To the casual observer is looks like a chronograph watch. It isn't especially flashy and it doesn't scream "look at me". Somebody who knows watches will know that, relatively speaking, it is a few notches above the stuff that you would buy at a super market counter.
    Ian

Omega Speedmaster Racing ~~~~~ Fast Car ~~~~~ Understanding wife

I like clarity, readability, understated class and a look of super fine materials and finish. Hand applied indices as opposed to printed numerals, for example. The trend for super complicated, fake gold, Flava Flav sizes and weird cases is ghetto to me. A mall watch. You see watches everywhere like a Nixon, and it sort of looks cool, but it just sort of reminds me of bad cologne and a rental corvette.

One of my watches is an inherited piece from my dad. He died last year. For me that one means a connection. The watch is something that he wore every day of his life and it now graces my wrist. Every time I look at it, I think of him. So, yeah, that watch is a must have, and it's more than a timepiece.

Other than that, I do enjoy having the time available to me on my wrist. Cell phones have to be dug out of the bottom of my purse. Also, there are places it's not really convenient or appropriate to carry a cell. My watches are appropriate everywhere. So in general not a "must have," but a real "like to have."

I like mechanicals, although they don't strictly have to be autos, and I like a brand with history. I tend to be a bit of a purist, so in house appeals to me as well although I'm honest enough to admit it doesn't necessarily make the watch better.

Brand is important, but not critical and not for cachet. I bought the same brand as my dad because he liked his watch and recommended it. It also fit my other criteria--in house, history, quality materials (no gold plate, etc), mechanical, and well-regarded movements.

Ultimately, I consider a watch an accessory and I choose watches specifically to enhance my wardrobe. Something simple and elegant for everyday at the office. Something ultra-feminine for dress up evenings out, and something fun for weekends.

Well, my Rolexes are simple, straightforward watches (except for the diamond studded cocktail watch) but I've got a real jones for a Zenith Chrono because I love the whimsical styling and I think I'd get a kick out of having an El Primero. So I guess I like both.

Jeannie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information