What's your opinion on Day-Night Indicator?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What's your opinion on Day-Night Indicator?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What's your opinion on Day-Night Indicator?

Do you find it functional? useless? gimmicky? interesting?

Here is an inexpensive Chinese made Sea-gull Day-Night indicator looks kinda nice.

Name:  img_0132.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  121.4 KB

Please share images of your day-night indicator watch. Or one that you like.

Thanks.
    Last edited by wuyeah; October 7th, 2013 at 14:46.
    pr1uk likes this.

Re: What's your opinion on Day-Night Indicator?

Well, I think there are two schools of thought I have on this; it's probably redundant, unless of course you live in a place like Antarctica, where what light is out is a pretty useless indication on whether it is night or day. The other is that it is no different from an AM/PM display on a digital.
    stratct likes this.

That looks like a moon phase watch. But you say it's a day night? Never seen one like that.
    It's kinda cool.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  CIMG0461_3.JPG
Views: 747
Size:  249.4 KB

At Citizen they have a real passion for the 24h sub-dial which IMO is totally useless unless you spend your days exploring caves. I am sure that there is a reason for putting it on a watch but I simply can not fathom it. If you buy an Eco-Drive from an AD in your country it will already indicate your home time and it will work 'forever' as advertised so you don't have to play with am/pm for the date change even once in the lifetime of your watch.

On the merit of the features/functionality alone, I think it somewhere between gimmicky and useless, unless one is specifically collecting watches having such features. On most of the planet, at most times of the year, one is keenly aware of whether it's day or night and whether it's Monday or Thursday, for example, and if one has managed to lose track, there are a ton of other sources for discovering the information without having to rely on a watch that may be running fast or slow. If one has a Gilligan experience, it probably doesn't matter if it's Monday or Thursday and the time of day probably has little significance as well as there's no bad time to eat/drink if one needs nourishment. Similarly, there's not likely to be a better or worse time/day to make a rescue attempt or be rescued. If one does find oneself at either of the poles, maybe the watch has some practical value, but even then I doubt it. One is hardly likely to dash off to such extreme locales alone and without better technology than a watch for keeping track of time's passage.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

I think day/night indicators are nice in combination with GMT functions, as with the JLC geographic

The compressor geographic has the AM/PM but others have a bi-color subdial as well..(picture stolen off google images)

Name:  jlc geographic.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  130.7 KB

I think some form of day-night indicator is useful on a two timezone watch so that one can know if it's day or night at home.

However on the watch shown above (Sea-Gull), it seems like an inexpensive way to get the aesthitics of a moon-phase, much like the chrono pushers and sub-dials give the aesthetics of a chronograph without actually having one. To me it is purely aesthetics without function , and therefore I find it somewhat gimicky.
    Last edited by cedargrove; October 7th, 2013 at 23:54. Reason: Spelling correction
    ehutch01, Robmks and Perdendosi like this.

Sometimes it's handy if say a windup watch has stopped and you need to know where you are - near 12 noon or 12 midnight. With Russian watches you need to move the hands back and forth around midnight to set the date. But certainly I can live without it.
    stratct likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I don't mind it when it's done as intended. I really don't like when it's explained as a moonphase, but it's just a sun/moon disc. I doubt sea-Gull markets the watch you're showing as a moonphase, but others that use the exact same wheel do.
    stratct likes this.
    Influence is like the wind...

I pretty much know when it's day or night. Sunlight is a pretty big giveaway, I admit.

Now if you worked some sort of crazy schedule in a place where you never see the sun (or it's light at night), then I can see some sort of limited usefulness (much like the lycanthropic usefulness of the moonphase, but less mystical), but for me, it's useless.
    geoffbot likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information