What's your top pick ...
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary123
  • 1 Post By Doboji
  • 3 Post By woodsworth

Thread: What's your top pick ...

Banned

What's your top pick ...

... from each of your favorite manufacturers? You can only have one.

Could be the most technologically advanced. Could be the most historic. Could be the most versatile. Could be the most aesthetically pleasing to your eye.

It's just your favorite watch from that maker. Stating why would be nice.

From the Big Four to micro brands and everything in between from any country of origin in the world.

(By the by, Seiko is not a brand. Grand Seiko, Seiko 5, Seiko Prospex, Seiko 200M Diver, Seiko Brightz, Seiko Ananta, Seiko Astron, Seiko Lukia, Seiko Spirit etc., etc., etc., are all separate brands for purposes of this discussion.)
    Last edited by marchone; February 18th, 2013 at 18:26.

Re: What's your top pick ...

I tend to buy what I like, but avoid liking watches over a certain price point. So I would say that many of my favorites I already own.

Presently I am in love with the Roger Dubuis diver chronograph. After playing with one on my cruise, the touch on the pushers beats both the F. Piguet 1185 and the Rolex 4130 and it has a bold look that grabs me. I may go for this, but would have to get rid of something if I did so.

I also am just crazy about my JLC Master Compressor Diver Chronograph. It is the only watch I own (that I wear) that makes my knees weak when I hold it. And with all my new fancy photo equipment I have not been able to take a better picture of it than this one I took several years ago with my pocket camera.

My Breguet is the other watch I own that makes my knees weak when I hold it. I just never wear it and am beginning to question why I should keep it. 20K is hardly worth removing it from my safe every other month so that I can wipe the drool off it before putting it back.

And for artistic beauty, my dress DeWitt really sends me. I do wear this one.

And this Franck Fuller grey face makes my knees weak. But it is only available new for $16k and I have found a black face pre owned for 6.5K.

I also like this Sinn 757 very much, but have too many in the same category to seriously consider purchasing it. But that may change.

Last edited by Gary123; February 18th, 2013 at 19:10.
    TimeSaver likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    ... from each of your favorite manufacturers? You can only have one.

Could be the most technologically advanced. Could be the most historic. Could be the most versatile. Could be the most aesthetically pleasing to your eye.

It's just your favorite watch from that maker. Stating why would be nice.

From the Big Four to micro brands and everything in between from any country of origin in the world.

(By the by, Seiko is not a brand. Grand Seiko, Seiko 5, Seiko Prospex, Seiko 200M Diver, Seiko Brightz, Seiko Ananta, Seiko Astron, Seiko Lukia, Seiko Spirit etc., etc., etc., are all separate brands for purposes of this discussion.)
    I think Bremont is my favorite brand right now... even if I only own one of their watches currently. I love the technology they bring to the table in terms of casing and protecting the movement. I also love the philosophy and feel of the brand... they don't attempt to hijack a long dead brand name or history.. they are clearly interested in creating history as they go. There is clearly brand DNA already in their watches, which isn't something you can say for new brands, or even many older brands for that matter. The watches are distinctive and beautiful, and an in-house movement is coming.

My favorite watch from them would have to be their P-51... which I don't have... and probably will never have...

Last edited by Doboji; February 18th, 2013 at 18:36.
    TimeSaver likes this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Based in South east asia, travelling between

PP 5207 - patek's famous grand complication in a contemporary design case
    AP RO Tourbillon - a tourbillon in a sports watch, I like the contrast
    JLC Gyro tourbillon - crazy rotating in all directions, most complex thing I ever seen in a watch
    Rolex sky Dweller or Daytona, annual calendar really cool design & just love daytona chrono
    Lange Tourbillon 1 perpetual - great movement and awesome layout for perp calendar
    RM 002 - tourbillon in a sporty skeleton
    IWC Spitfire Perpetual - best sporty display of a perp calendar
    Last edited by Crunchy; February 18th, 2013 at 18:45.

Orient : Esteem Attachment 977206

Stowa : Chrono 1938 Black dial (with no date I prefer) Attachment 977210 (not my photo)

Baume & Mercier : Classima 8688 Attachment 977212(not my photo)

Nomos : Ludwig (no date) Attachment 977213(official website photo)

Hamilton : Jazzmaster auto chrono (not a big fan of the day-date function) : Attachment 977218(not my photo)

Tissot : T-Gold Carson Automatic:
    Attachment 977225(Not my photo)

I will surely post more as the thread evolves, but I don't want to reveau everything yet ;)

AL&S - Lange 1 Moon-phase

When I picture a dress watch, I usually think of something that resembles a Nomos or a PP Calatrava**- rather stark, very unpretentious, and easily goes unnoticed (can all be positive attributes as well). However, I've always wanted a dress piece that would hold my interest and I am unsure if the previously mentioned pieces would. I feel that the Lange 1 MP, while still retaining an unpretentious quality, fills the void of being an overly "plain" (to the point where I would probably forget owning it) watch.

** I am by no means attacking Nomos, PP Calatravas, or any other watch that may resemble them- they are just not for me at this point in time. That could possibly change as I am pretty erratic with watches.

Patek Philippe - 3970

Favourite grande-complication piece.

Audemars Piguet - Royal Oak Choronograph 26300 (39mm variants)

I believe that the ROC is a great modern (read: sporty) interpretation on the classic Royal Oak. It is more sporty than the original, yet it would not have a problem dressing up should the need arise. I guess what gets me with the ROC is how versatile it is- I love the fact that I can wear it just about anywhere and it fits right in.

Grand Seiko - SBGW033

Grand Seiko hit it out of the ballpark with this watch. I go through phases with this piece- I either love it and actively look to buy one, or it will slip my mind and I forget about it until I stumble upon a picture of it on the forum- then lust ensues. I feel like the SBGW033 may contradict my reasons for loving the Lange 1 MP, because what I love about this watch is exactly what I dislike about many others- it is just a simple dress watch. There is something about it that I love- maybe it is the attention to detail that GS has (katana polished hands / case) combined with the dual curved sapphire crystal and the blued seconds hand.... Sigh. Anyone know where I can buy one? LOL ;D

Rolex - 1019

I am going through a vintage-Rolex-phase now and trying to decide which Rolex is my favourite was not an easy task. I ultimately chose the 1019 because of how unsuspecting it is. It may look like "any other Rolex" from afar, but the differences lie within the details- the unusually thick hour/minute hand with the slim red-arrow tipped seconds hand that matches the red "MILGAUSS" text on the dial set the watch apart from the other more "pedestrian" Rolexes.

While I am hoping to find one for the right price, at the right time- I am not holding my breath.

Glashutte Original - PanoGraph

This chronograph has one of the, if not the, most unique ways of tracking the elapsed time when it is activated. Paired up with GO quality and the stunning movement displayed through the sapphire case back, this was an instant favourite for me.

Omega - Speedmaster Professional

The Speedy has such an interesting history that it is impossible for it not to be on this list. I'm not even particularly fond of it aesthetically, however, I would wear one just because of the unquestionable value it brings to the table. No other watch in this price range (IMHO) gives you such a significant watch. Even the most astute collectors give this watch the nod.

Jaeger LeCoultre - TTR 1931

The Reverso is often thought of as a side-runner to the Calatrava and is considered to be the epitome of dress watches. With the introduction of the TTR 1931 a couple of years ago, JLC gave a firm nod to the original reverso - a "sports" watch. This two-hand iteration of the Reverso may sound like "strict dress watch" however with the luminous filled markers and hands I would feel comfortable wearing this in a casual setting as well.

IWC - Big Pilot 5002

I don't usually regret selling watches, however, I do regret selling my BP 5002. What an awesome watch. I typically stay away from anything larger than 40mm, but I made the exception for the 5002- the original pilot's watch. It was/is the only large watch that I felt I could pull off- the case hugged my wrist perfectly and while it was most definitely huge, I never received anything other than praise for it (including my girlfriend, who is my personal (harsh) watch critic ;D). I am looking forward to the day I buy one of these again.

Sinn - Pilot Chronograph 356

I like this watch from Sinn because of the "vintage-feel" it gives. The acrylic crystal combined with the pilot's style really makes this watch pop. While I've yet to own one personally, I have tried it on a few times and feel that it is an instant classic. A friend owns one and wears it either on a NATO (either grey or olive green), or a brown leather calfskin strap- both look wonderful on it.

D. Dornblueth & Sohn - Quintus Auf & Ab

I've always had a certain affinity for this small German manufacturer which hails from the small town of Kalbe in lower Saxony. A few months ago the Quintus Klassik and the Quintus Auf & Ab were unveiled and I've been looking forward to the day I see an incoming/unwrapping thread in the German section of this forum. The movement is extremely interesting and follows suit to the company's style and history. The fact that there may be small imperfections, in things such as the engravings on the movement, would not bother those who buy from this company. Those small imperfections are a reminder that their watch was hand built by an exceptionally small manufacture, and will undoubtedly put a smile on the owner's face.

When true watchmaking comes to mind, Dornblueth is synonymous with it.

Possibly more to follow...
    marchone, drhr and TimeSaver like this.

Thread Information