Whats Your Watch Story ?
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Whats Your Watch Story ?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Whats Your Watch Story ?

Im guessing everyone has a story to tell about how they became watch enthusiasts. What was your story that led you to your first real watch? Whats the story that got you to your grail?

Sorry if theres a similar thread.

I'll have a go :

I was dating a girl at high school. She was at my house one night, but my brother was also home with one of his friends, who at the time was Mr. Popular and all the girls fancied him. We were leaving the house and she peered through the window to look at him, and I remember clear as day she said "Awww, look at him with his shiney silver watch on". That was it. I had to get myself a wrist piece.

Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Whats Your Watch Story ?

Always liked watches. Started with mechanicals as a schoolboy. Inherited Grandpa's gold pocket watch & grandma's silver pocket watch. Converted to Quartz analogue sometime in the 70s, after owning a mechanical Seiko it was Seiko quartz & Longines quartz for the next 25 years.
    Now that I have retired & have less income and time (on this earth) I have become a watch snob, Only "in house movements" for me.
    Recently received a u-tube clip about old age which pointed out that your money may not be your money, so I am going to spend it on watches while I am still here.
    Selfish I know but I have spent most of my money on my family while I was earning.

Helicopter pilot in 'Nam....Needed the best,toughest,most dependable watch on Earth.
    Had lost an Omega a few days earlier(wasn't very tough) flying someplace heard a call
    go out that the Australian Engineer Battalion near Vung Tau had just got a shipment
    of Rolex....We changed course, flew into the middle of the base,I jumped out ran in pushed thru
    the line ...Got a GMT ran back out...Took off b/4 the MP's arrived and back to mission.
    That was 1969
    Last edited by little big feather; January 11th, 2014 at 20:56.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Once upon a time, I saw a watch liked and I bought it.

The End.
    hayday, BarracksSi, jsw41 and 3 others like this.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Wanted an additional hobby and something to collect, watches fit the bill
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Always associated watches as a type of status symbol. As I learned more about them, it became much more

Plus, I mean, who doesn't wanna collect pieces of art like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Began my watch journey with ana digi Alba and Casios back when I was in elementary school...began to get more interested as I received a gift of quartz Tag Heuer from my mom....pretty pretty..shiny shiny.....
    hoppen1 likes this.

I have always had an interest in watches but never really gave much consideration to what I was buying. Like many through joining up with several forums, buying and selling a fair few watches I have come to learn a little about watches but more importantly, I have come to learn my taste in watches and exactly what I want from a watch. Sometimes I will go and buy a silly impulse watch but it never detracts from the "Keepers" I will never sell and the list I have of watches I wish to buy.

I've always loved mechanical items and watches amazed me as a kid. Still do! Many of my watches were purchased or acquired in in commemoration of something... work promotion, graduation, birthday, etc.. And some came from loved ones who have passed. So it's nice to have something functional strapped on my wrist that reminds me not just the time, but of the people or milestone they represent.

Inactive

Had a Casio Calculator watch in grade school:
    Name:  e59d_calculator_watch.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  9.8 KB
    It was useful for cheating on tests, as well as knowing what time it was.

Then a little later on I found a broken Fossil watch on the sidewalk. Took it apart a few times, messed with it, never got it to work. A couple of years later I decided I wanted to try to get it repaired (It was a rather attractive Skeleton dial). They couldn't. But gave me 50$ towards a new watch in their lineup. I added some of my own money and bought a nice three hand on a bracelet (Still have it, packed away atm so sorry no pictures). I then started liking having a watch on my wrist.

As a Boy Scout I was trained to be "always prepared", and a watch helped this. We also learned some nifty navigation tricks using an analog watch:
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  6.9 KB
    (So while looking for the picture to place here I stumbled upon this one. That watch is identical to my first Fossil, except that mine has a lovely dark blue dial)

Still, I continued collecting fossils. Until I got a pass after graduating basic training in Ft. Sill Ok. I ended up buying myself one of these at the mall in Lawton OK:
    Name:  24670.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  26.7 KB
    Didn't carry it much. But still have it. Then it was on to my first watch north of 150$:
    Name:  96D14.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  20.0 KB
    Bulova marine star. She was a steal off of Ebay. Still have her, but with a new crystal and a now brushed bezel. Then my first watch north of 300$:
    Name:  2013-11-25 09.05.19.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  119.9 KB
    The Tungsten Carbide Beauty I'm wearing today. Love it, though it is still Quartz. I ended up joining this site, learning the difference between Quartz and Mechanical (catching the sickness), and bought a Tissot Seastar 1000. Not a bad little watch, but lost it in the interest of keeping up on car payments. I now live in a city with a Rolex and Oris AD. My near future grail is a Black Dial/Bezel Oris Aquis Date. Also, it seems my tastes have evolved rather specifically towards diving watches. And the someday grail is either a Rolex 114060, or an Omega SMPc, guess I'll decide when I get there. There you have it. My watch story.
    Last edited by s.erickson87; January 11th, 2014 at 23:25.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information